Oppenheimer Impact Scholars will receive a full scholarship to complete a Master of Science in Global Sustainability Solutions at the Streatham Campus of the University of Exeter in the United Kingdom for a period of 12 months, followed by a research associate position at UCT in Cape Town, South Africa, for a period of 12-18 months. Both the Master of Science and the Research Associate positions will be located in South Africa. This project aims to assist planners in incorporating information and decision-making tools addressing coastal hazards into their decision-making processes in southern Africa as part of an adaptation strategy to improve resilience in the face of coastal hazards caused by sea level rise (SLR) and storm surges. Adaptation is being used as a means to strengthen resilience in this study. This work is being done as a part of the Oppenheimer Programme on African Landscape Systems (OPALS, jointly funded by the University of Exeter and Oppenheimer Generations Research and Conservation).
Objectives that OPALS hopes to achieve I Collaborate on the production of science-based solutions to analyze, mitigate, and adapt to environmental change to create sustainable and resilient socio-environmental systems in Africa; (ii) Advocate for the development of a strong, credible, and interconnected voice for African communities, land managers, and researchers in the global climate and ecological crisis. (iii) Help African countries that have taken the lead in environmental protection.
About the Scholarship Provider:
In 1851, as part of an ambitious plan to spur the expansion of the city, Exeter saw the founding of a number of institutions that were dedicated to the arts and sciences. This event marked the beginning of what would later become Exeter University in its modern incarnation. After being granted its Charter in 1955, the establishment was finally able to begin operating as a university in an official capacity. Because it is a part of the prestigious Russell Group, Exeter University is frequently ranked as one of the top educational institutions in the United Kingdom.
The University of Exeter is widely regarded as one of the finest educational establishments on a global scale. This is largely attributable to the university’s stellar reputation. It’s one of the best schools in the Country, if not the very best. Throughout the course of the next two years, 2022 and 2023, it is projected that The Guardian will remain in the fifteenth position, where it is currently ranked. According to The Complete University Guide, Exeter University will have moved up to the 13th rank on the list of the world’s top universities by the time the year 2022 rolls around. The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023 places the University of Exeter as one of the top 150 universities in the entire globe. You will gain a lot of useful knowledge about the company as a result of this. According to Times Higher Education, they come in at position #137 worldwide. QS has ranked Exeter University at #149 for the year 2022, and it forecasts that the university will fall to #163 the following year.
At the University of Exeter, there are three campuses where students can attend lectures and tutorials: Streatham, St. Luke’s, and Penryn. Penryn and St. Luke’s are both located in Cornwall, with Penryn being situated somewhat nearer to the city of Falmouth than St. Luke’s. The Streatham campus is where the vast majority of students choose to pursue their education. This campus is undeniably one of the most beautiful in the country due to the fact that it features a variety of landscape features, including lakes, woodlands, parks, and gardens, as well as both old and new buildings. St. Luke’s University can be found on the opposite side of the central business district from where it was founded. The Department of Sport and Health Sciences, the Medical School, the Academy of Nursing, the Department of Allied Health Professions, and the Postgraduate Diploma in Education program can all be found in one building. There are currently little around 6,000 students that call the Penryn campus their home. This campus is home to some of the most cutting-edge academic research currently being conducted, and it also features housing for the personnel that work here. Students at Exeter University have access to over 200 different clubs and societies, covering a wide variety of interests, from athletics (such as football and surfing) to the arts (such as theater and dance). Students have access to a wide variety of resources that might make their participation in campus life easier thanks to the groups to which they belong.
At the University of Exeter, international students have access to a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate degree programs across a broad spectrum of academic fields. The university’s programs that get the highest levels of national and international acclaim include those in the fields of accounting, finance, business, finance, engineering, data science, computer science, analytics, renewable energy, marketing, law, and entrepreneurship. The institution also provides programs called Foundation Year One and International Year One for first-year students who are just starting out. At the University of Exeter, there are 25,000 students enrolled in their first year, and 6,720 of them are students from other countries.
The University of Exeter provides international undergraduate students from countries other than the United Kingdom who meet the requirements for the university’s housing guarantee with the choice to live in either self-catered or catered housing. Graduate students at an institution can choose their residence from a global pool of available options on campus. Both undergraduate and graduate students at the University of Exeter are eligible to apply for several scholarships; however, eligibility is contingent on the students’ intended fields of study. Students from other countries are eligible to apply for and receive these grants. International students have access to a significant number of postgraduate scholarships and fellowships. A few examples of available scholarships are the Green Futures Scholarship at the University of Exeter, the Chevening Scholarship, the Commonwealth Shared Scholarships Scheme, and many more. These are just some of the many scholarships that are now available.
There are graduates of Exeter University living in more than 125,000 different communities across 183 different countries. Some of the most well-known people in the world have studied at or graduated from the University of Exeter, including the writer J.K. Rowling, the musician Thom Yorke, the actress Vanessa Kirby, the actors Stephen Dillane and Will Young, and the tennis player Samantha Smith, to name just a few.
SeNSS is one of only 14 Doctoral Training Partnerships in the United Kingdom that is sponsored by the ESRC, and they will be offering a handful of fully-funded ESRC doctoral studentships beginning in September 2023. SeNSS is one of the only 14 Doctoral Training Partnerships in the United Kingdom that is sponsored by the ESRC.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): University of Exeter
Scholarship Country: United Kingdom
Scholarship Worth: Fully Funded
Study Level: Postgraduate
Nationality: International Students
- a paid internship, a stipend, and allowances in addition to a training post and tuition fees
The Gustafsson & Skrondal Visiting Scholarship is administered by the University of Oslo’s Centre for Educational Measurement (CEMO). As part of the visiting scholar program, CEMO and the University of Oslo host a number of young researchers from Norway and elsewhere each year.
Eligibility for Scholarship.
- Applicants are need to hold citizenship in an African nation, and Mozambique natives will be given preference over other nationalities.
- Applicants are required to have qualifications that are equal to a First or Second Class Upper UK Honours degree, in an eligible area of science or technology, and they are required to have applied for a place on the MSc Global Sustainability Solutions program.
- If English is not your first language, you will need to demonstrate that you can meet our criteria for written and spoken English.
- A job application letter written in English (2-page max. outlining your academic interests, prior research experience, and motivation to undertake this project).
- A formal application letter written in Portuguese (2-page max. outlining your academic interests, prior research experience, and motivation to undertake this project).
- CV (4-pages max, please do not include pictures, race, date of birth, marital status, or religion etc since under UK legislation these protected attributes will not be evaluated and please refer to person specification for the areas of assessment) (4-pages max, please do not include photographs, ethnicity, date of birth, marital status, or religion etc as under UK law these protected characteristics will not be considered and please refer to person specification for the areas of assessment)
- Transcript(s) providing complete information on the courses taken and the grades or marks earned in those courses (if you are still studying this should be an interim transcript).
- The names and contact information of two individuals who are familiar with the academic or professional work you have done. You are not obligated to personally gather recommendations for your own use. If you are chosen for further consideration, we will contact your referees directly to request references.
- You will be required to provide evidence of your ability in the English language if you are not a national of a country where the majority of the population speaks English.
The University of Exeter 2023 Oppenheimer Impact Scholarship for African Students is open to all International Students
If a student enrolls in one of the degree programs offered by SOAS University of London, they may be eligible to receive a fee waiver award in the amount of £5,000. This award is available to students who are interested in receiving a degree from SOAS University of London.
- Are you interested, and do you qualify? Applying to the University of Exeter can be done online at www.exeter.ac.uk.
The application deadline for the University of Exeter 2023 Oppenheimer Impact Scholarship for African Students is April 3, 2023.