The University of the West Indies (UWI) is pleased to solicit applications from Jamaican students for the UWI OPEN SCHOLARSHIP FOR JAMAICAN STUDENTS 2022. Applicants to this scholarship program are advised to ensure that they have met the eligibility criteria for the latter. This is to avoid any form of disqualification.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST INDIES:
Our University of the West Indies (UWI), originally University College of the West Indies, is a public university system established to serve the higher education needs of residents of 18 English-speaking countries and territories in the Caribbean: Anguilla, Antigua, and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Montserrat, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad, and Tobago, and the Turks and Caicos. Each country is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations or a British Overseas Territory.
The goal of the university is to help “unlock the potential for economic and cultural growth” in the West Indies, thus allowing for greater regional autonomy. The University was originally established as an independent external college of the University of London.
For more information on the University of the West Indies, please see their official link. here
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THIS SCHOLARSHIP:
The UWI Open Scholarship is an undergraduate scholarship program and is one of the ways the University of the West Indies seeks to attract and reward high-achieving students from among the region’s high school students, community college graduates, and state and UWI freshmen.
There are over 50 scholarships available for study at any of the four campuses of the University of the West Indies.
LEVEL OF STUDY:
UWI Open Scholarship is an undergraduate scholarship program that seeks to attract and reward high achievers from all the region’s high school students, state and community college graduates, and freshmen from any field of study available in the UWI.
If you want to explore more information on undergraduate scholarships, click on the link.
This scholarship is to be taken in Jamaica.
If you are an international student and you wish to study abroad, check out the Complete Guide to Getting a UK Tier 4 Student Visa for International Students.
The scholarship is basically intended for Jamaicans.
Aside from the UWI Open Scholarship, there are other scholarships available for international students to study abroad. You can check our scholarship by country to access all available scholarships. Also, read if you want to study outside your home country, here are simple but detailed answers on how to apply and win a scholarship.
The UWI Open Scholarship is literally a FULL scholarship and, as stated before, one of the most lucrative local scholarship programs, if not the most lucrative. The scholarship award covers the cost of tuition, residence costs (on/off campus), and contributions to books and meals.
To be considered eligible for the UWI Open Scholarship for Jamaican Students, you must meet the following:
- You are a first-time applicant to any UWI Degree Program offered at any campus. (Applicants must not already be holders of a university degree.)
- Have gained at least 5 subjects at the Caribbean Examinations Council (CSEC) level, including Mathematics and English A with grades 1 or 2; at least 6 CAPE Units, including Communication Studies and Caribbean Studies, in Caribbean Advanced Mastery Examinations (CAPE) Units 1 and/or ll; or equivalent at GCE O/A levels with grades 1 or 2.
- Have completed an associate degree from a community or state university with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.6 and have applied or are in the process of applying to The UWI.
- Have completed the first year of a UWI undergraduate program with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.6.
- You are a citizen of one of the UWI contributing countries (proof of citizenship will be required).
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE UWI SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM:
To successfully apply for this lucrative scholarship opportunity, students MUST complete the online application form, attached with all supporting documents, which can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the line Subject: ‘The UWI Open Scholarship’.
Supporting documents that must be attached to the fully completed application form include;
- A 500-word personal essay describing career aspirations, reasons for the choice of a degree program, community involvement, and extracurricular activities.
- Evidence of leadership positions. at school, college, and/or within the wider community; Community involvement; and co-curricular activities.
- Two letters of reference – one of which must come from an academic referee attesting to the applicant’s academic ability and potential, demonstrated leadership qualities, and character. (Referees must have known the applicant for at least two years. All referees must affix the official seal of their office/department/organization.)
- Note: It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure that the letters of reference are received in sealed envelopes and sent to the Office of the Board of Undergraduate Studies along with the other supporting documents before the deadline date.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION:
The latest updates on the application deadline for the UWI Open Scholarship for Jamaican Students will be communicated soon. Therefore, we recommend that you keep an eye on this information.
NOTE: Only students who have successfully applied and been selected will be contacted.
We hope that this writing provides you with your scholarship needs. Please share with your friends and leave your question or answer in the comment box so that we can serve you better.