Michigan State University is a public land-grant research university in East Lansing, Michigan. MSU was founded in 1855 and served as a model for land-grant colleges and universities later created under the Morrill Act of 1862.
U.S. News & World Report ranks its graduate programs the best in the U.S. in elementary teacher’s education, secondary teacher’s education, industrial and organizational psychology, rehabilitation counseling, African history (tied), supply chain logistics and nuclear physics in 2019. MSU pioneered the studies of packaging, hospitality business, supply chain management, and communication sciences. Michigan State is a member of the Association of American Universities and is classified among “R1: Doctoral Universities – Very high research activity”.
Michigan State offers a rolling admissions system, with an early admission deadline in October. Michigan State University is considered “more selective” by U.S. News & World Report. For the Class of 2023 (enrolling Fall 2019), Michigan State University received 45,000 applications and accepted 31,600 (71.1%), with 8,800 enrolling. The middle 50% range of SAT scores for enrolling freshmen was 550-650 for reading and writing, and 670 for math. The middle 50% ACT composite score range was 23–29. The average high school grade point average (GPA) was 3.75.
In Fall 2019, 5,660 international students enrolled at MSU, with the top five countries outside North America being China, India, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, and Taiwan. According to a Brookings Institution report analyzing foreign student visa approvals from 2008 to 2012, MSU once enrolled the highest number of Chinese international students in the United States, with roughly 4,700 Chinese citizens enrolled during the period of the study.
- This scholarship is for international students to apply only
- Applicants that apply must be undergraduates only
- Applicants must be a full-time, degree-seeking international undergraduate student in sophomore or junior status for the entire academic year
- Applicants must commit to attending a non-credit weekly seminar during the fall and spring semesters and complete all assignments
- Applicants must have time to give presentations during fall and spring semesters
- Applicants must commit to spending spring break with the Global Spartan Leadership Program Alternative Spartan Break
- Applicants must demonstrate a need for tuition assistance
- Applicants must attend cultural and leadership events/conferences
- Must be an incoming freshmen with non-U.S. residency status
The biggest requirements asked of all applicants would be that they need to have a 3.0 GPA or higher grade average.
For international students applying they will need to have all of their government official documents ready so they can apply for student visa for the United States.
Non-degree exchange programs are organized by the American Semester Program.
The American Semester Program & Exchanges (ASP&E) team works to welcome undergraduate and graduate level students from around the world to participate in unique academic programming at Michigan State University.
Undergraduate Majors Available:
- Advertising Creative
- Advertising Management
- African American and African Studies
- Agriculture and Natural Resources – Exploratory
- Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources Education
- Applied Engineering Sciences
- Early Care and Education
- Crop and Soil Sciences
- Computational Mathematics
- Communication Leadership and Strategy
- Communicative Sciences and Disorders
- Comparative Cultures and Politics
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology/Biotechnology
- Biomedical Laboratory Science
- Biological Science Secondary Education
- Interdisciplinary Studies in Social Science – Social Science Education
- Human Development and Family Studies
- Human Capital and Society
- Global Studies in the Arts and Humanities
- Environmental Economics and Management
- Special Education-Learning Disabilities
- Quantitative Risk Analytics
- Public Relations
- Professional & Public Writing
- Physical Science Secondary Education
- Sustainable Parks, Recreation and Tourism
- Urban and Regional Planning
- World Politics
- And many many more
How to Apply
When students apply the need to add these requirements to their check list:
- Candidates have to have all of their secondary schools, colleges or universities attended and examination boards send original or attested copies of all transcripts, diplomas, mark sheets, and certificates directly to the university.
- All participants are expected to submit an essay to the OISS Essay Contest & also submit a proposal for the MSU Global Learning Conference.
- For taking admission at this university, applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- all applicants have to accomplish the English language requirements of the university.
Reward – Extra Benefits
International students who successfully complete all requirements of the program will earn an $8,000 scholarship to assist with their tuition and other education-related expenses.
Participants will also participate in a fully-funded spring break service-learning trip, which is led by program instructors and 2 participant site leaders.
The official deadline ate is February 1, 2022, however that deadline has been changed to February 1, 2023.
All admitted international students who plan to attend Michigan State University fall semester should reserve their place in the incoming class as soon as they have decided to enroll at MSU, but no later than May 1. International students planning to enroll for either the spring or summer semester should reserve their place within four weeks from the date of their admission. Then students who are admitted need to reserve their spot at the university.
All international freshman students, with a few exceptions, are required to live in on-campus housing for the first four semesters they are enrolled at MSU (summer term excluded).
In the spring they will receive more housing and dining information, including requirements and deadlines, from MSU Live On. They will have to check and be sure that their student MSU email address has all the available updates. By visiting the MSU Live On website for more information about on-campus housing and to explore freshman halls and neighborhoods.
Also in the spring students will log in to their My Housing account and sign their housing contract. If any student is under 18, a parent or guardian will need to sign the contract as well. There is no additional housing deposit; a student’s Advanced Enrollment Deposit includes their $40 housing application fee. All applicants should submit their Advanced Enrollment Deposit and sign their housing contract no later than May 1, 2023.
Open Submission Window Time Frame
The open submission window time frame is from late 2022 to February 1, 2023. This time line may change and students should check the Michigan State University website frequently to see if any time line has changed.
This is an annual scholarship that happens once a year. This scholarship is awarded to five international students who wish to attend Michigan State University to further their higher education learning experience.