The Alvarez Scholars Program expands access to international students by providing need-based scholarship support to outstanding students from all over the world. The 13 Alvarez Scholars hail from Ghana, Ecuador, Pakistan, Greece, Zimbabwe, Niger, Peru and Bulgaria.
The Alvarez family has forged a lasting legacy at Davidson College through its unwavering support and service.
Through the Alvarez Scholars Program, Carlos and Malú Alvarez, and daughters Carla and Malú ’02, have demonstrated their commitment to providing educational opportunities for deserving students worldwide. As members of Davidson’s Parents Council from 1998 – 2002, Carlos and Malú worked to engage parents of Davidson students in the life of the college.
In addition, Carlos served two terms on the Davidson College Board of Trustees, from 2003 – 2010. During his tenure, he provided leadership to the Admission and Financial Aid Committee and was instrumental in the establishment of the The Davidson Trust. In 2008, he was invited to deliver the prestigious Chidsey Leadership Lecture at Davidson. The Alvarez College Union bears the family’s name.
Previous Recipients of this award are:
- Celeste Lan, Agnes Scott College, Netherlands, Fall 2020
- Sana Leebe, Loyola University Chicago, Jordan, Fall 2020
- Zion Rogers, Stephen F. Austin State University, France, Fall 2020
- Luisais Taveras, Hunter College, Japan, Fall 2020
- Paulina Estrada Oaxaca, University of New Mexico, Spain, Spring 2020
- Matthew Mitchell, University of California, Santa Barbara, France, Spring 2020
- Missy Hart, University of California, Santa Cruz, Netherlands, Fall 2019
- Arlenne Serna, Brandeis University, South Korea, Fall 2019
- Tingwei Song, Binghamton University SUNY, Japan, Fall 2019
- Must be an international student who applies.
- Must be working towards a Bachelor degree.
- There are no set criteria for consideration but past recipients were usually in the top 10% of the applicant pool are picked for this scholarship.
- This is a financial needs based scholarship – so the reward will vary depending on the applicants financial situation.
International students are encouraged to apply since this scholarship is for international students.
Applications must be completed by February 10, 2022; no supplemental materials are required.
How to Apply
The only way to apply is to be accepted or enrolled into Davidson’s College in Davidson, North Carolina.
These scholarships are awarded to outstanding public school students who would not otherwise be able to afford SYA. The average award covers more than 50% of tuition. To be considered, applicants must currently attend a public school and qualify for financial aid.
This deadline is February 10, 2022.
This is an annual scholarship.