The yearly essay contest at Coal City University is held with the goals of encouraging students to improve their writing abilities, building self-confidence, and showcasing their creative potential. It is helpful in increasing young people’s understanding of current concerns that are occurring on a worldwide scale. Its purpose is to inspire and enliven the initiative of young minds as well as their potential for creative thought in the direction of sustainable development. In addition, the competition for essays has another objective, which is to encourage society as a whole to take what the students have to say into consideration and to acknowledge that it is our shared duty to find solutions to these problems.
You, as a senior secondary school student in Nigeria, have the opportunity to conduct research and produce a paper (of no more than one thousand words) on the concerns surrounding drug misuse in Nigeria. This essay’s possible prompts are as follows:
“Drug Abuse in Nigeria: Exploring the Causes, Effects, and Solutions”
You could investigate the elements that contribute to drug misuse in Nigeria, such as poverty, peer pressure, and a lack of education, in the essay that you write. For example, you could write about how drugs are abused in Nigeria. You might also talk about the destructive impact that drug misuse has, not just on the person abusing drugs but also on their families and the communities in which they live. And most importantly, you are welcome to talk about potential solutions to this societal problem, such as expanding access to treatment and education.
This essay’s goals are to (1) educate readers about the perilous effects of drug usage in Nigeria and (2) motivate readers to take constructive steps to combat the problem. As you work on this essay, we hope that you will set aside some time to thoughtfully consider your arguments, assimilate the information, and get yourself ready to discuss your findings with other people. In the event that your essay is chosen for a prize, you may be asked to attend an awards ceremony where you will be required to present and discuss the article.
About the Scholarship Provider:
Coal City Institution (CCU), located in Enugu State, Nigeria, is a private institution that was founded in 2016 and operates on a not-for-profit basis. In Nigeria, the University is on the cutting edge of higher education both domestically and internationally. The University has the aspiration of being a learning and research center of world-class caliber that will generate graduates who are well-rounded, entrepreneurial, and employable all over the world. The University is dedicated to the production of new information through basic and applied research, as well as the implementation of that knowledge in order to advance the economic and social well-being of the residents of its home city, its surrounding area, and the entire worldwide community. The University has committed to an expansive plan for its transformation that is based on the three fundamental tenets of quality, internationalization, and sustainability.
CCU’s mission is to offer an education that is of an international standard and of a quality that is comparable to that which is available in top institutions all over the world, but at a cost that is much lower than the expense of studying abroad. Our students are instructed by professionals from the business as well as top-tier academics who have extensive experience working abroad. These individuals actively seek out, generate, and share new information, as well as engage with other professionals from around the world and locally on a wide variety of initiatives. Most importantly, they bring their experience that has been highly polished into the classroom, where they share with students their knowledge as well as their enthusiasm for the disciplines in which they work.
The University takes great satisfaction in the fact that it provides students with a superior educational experience that is supported by recent research and made possible by a high-quality educational setting that is equipped with multi-media classrooms, ultra-modern laboratories, and a contemporary library. Our instruction is given in intimate settings with a focus on fostering maximum participation and connection. Because we keep our class sizes manageable, students have unfettered access to the teaching faculty and fantastic opportunities to get their hands dirty in a variety of hands-on endeavors. We cultivate an atmosphere in which our students are able to broaden their perspectives, provide them with the resources necessary to navigate complex situations, and teach them the skills necessary to formulate pertinent inquiries.
Bachelor’s degrees in Accounting, Business Administration, Biochemistry, Computer Science, Criminology and Security Studies, Economics, English and Literary Studies, History and Diplomatic Studies, International Relations, Marketing, Mass Communication, Microbiology, Political Science, Psychology, Public Administration, Religious Studies, Sociology, and Taxation are among those that can be earned at the university. These degrees are designed with a focus on the industry as well as the global community.
All academic programs are subjected to quality assurance both in Nigeria and by external examiners from other countries. We have established multiple partnership arrangements with educational institutions as well as other organizations in Nigeria and other countries. Because of these agreements, we are able to provide students with access to a greater variety of courses, as well as facilities and instructors with specialized knowledge. Our students have the opportunity to participate in an enlightening study-abroad program with our partner universities located in a variety of countries throughout the world, including Australia, Canada, Germany, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States, amongst others.
Coal City University is dedicated to offering a learning atmosphere that is not only stimulating but also supportive and personalized. This environment encourages personal development among students and guarantees that each student has the opportunity to develop to their fullest potential. The institution is gaining a growing reputation for its innovative approach to assisting students in becoming lifelong learners, finding out what works for them in life, enhancing their lives, and achieving success in their careers.
SeNSS is one of only 14 Doctoral Training Partnerships in the United Kingdom that is sponsored by the ESRC, and they will be offering a handful of fully-funded ESRC doctoral studentships beginning in September 2023. SeNSS is one of the only 14 Doctoral Training Partnerships in the United Kingdom that is sponsored by the ESRC.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Coal City University
Scholarship Country: Nigeria
Scholarship Worth: #500,000
Study Level: Undergraduate
Nationality: International Students
- The following awards would be provided as a way to incentivize participation and recognize outstanding performance:
- The first Prize is a cash prize of 500,000 naira or a full tuition price scholarship to Coal City University for any course of the winner’s choosing, as well as a certificate of achievement.
- The runner-up will receive two hundred and fifty thousand naira as well as a certificate of achievement.
- The third prize consists of one hundred fifty thousand naira and a certificate of achievement.
- All Students Who Were Cut From the List Will Receive Consolation Prizes and a Participation Certificate
- In the event that it is necessary, additional awards, such as “Best School” and “School Incentive Award,” will be distributed.
The Gustafsson & Skrondal Visiting Scholarship is administered by the University of Oslo’s Centre for Educational Measurement (CEMO). As part of the visiting scholar program, CEMO and the University of Oslo host a number of young researchers from Norway and elsewhere each year.
Eligibility for Scholarship.
- It is possible to enter an essay for the competition for any student in Senior Secondary School (SS1-SS3) who has registered for it.
- The length of the essay should be between 700 and 1000 words, and the title of the essay as well as the author’s name should be typed at the top of the first page (they do not count toward the maximum number of words).
- It is required that the essay be written in British English.
- Participants are required to register and submit their entries digitally using the university’s website, which can be found at ccu.edu.ng. There is a limit of one submission per person allowed.
- All submissions must be completely original, and we will not consider writings that contain any instances of plagiarism.
- Essays with multiple authors will not be considered for acceptance.
- It was decided that the copyright for the submitted writings would be given to the organizers
- Relation to the subject matter
- Clarity in both one’s thinking and one’s expression
- The consistency and order of the essay, as well as the originality and inventiveness of the ideas that are presented
- Research comprehensiveness and evidence in support
- Accuracy in grammar and the quality of the work as a whole
- The Process of Selection
- The following will serve as the selection criteria for the essay contest:
- Registration: Students who are interested in participating in the competition will need to complete an entry form in order to register for it. This form can be found on the school’s website (www.ccu.edu.ng). The student’s name, school, grade level, and other contact information will be included on the registration form, as well as a certification that they have read and comprehended the rules and regulations.
- Submission: In order to meet the submission deadline of June 9, 2023, students will be expected to upload digital copies of their essays to the school’s website (www.ccu.edu.ng).
- The essays will be reviewed by a panel of judges who will examine the submissions based on the criteria that have been outlined. The winner will be determined by this panel. The writings will be evaluated in a secretive manner by a panel of professionals who will serve in the role of judges. Each and every one of your submissions will be carefully considered.
- The judges will choose the top 20 essays based on how well they meet certain criteria, including quality, relevance, originality, and coherence. These essays will be scored, and then ranked, with the best 20 entries moving on to the next stage of competition.
- Invitation: The top 20 essay finalists will each receive an invitation to make an oral presentation or discuss their essays in front of a selected audience, which may include stakeholders, scholars, principals, parents, teachers, and fellow students. The presentation or discussion may take the form of either a presentation or a discussion. During the second round of the selection process, which consists of oral presentations, the finalists get the opportunity to demonstrate their writing talents as well as their capacity to communicate efficiently.
- Those who have made it to the final round will receive instructions on how to structure their presentations, how long they should go on for, and what resources they should bring with them.
- The judges will evaluate the oral presentations utilizing the same criteria that were utilized in the earlier rounds of selection. In order to provide a more comprehensive evaluation of the finalists’ capabilities as a whole, they will be graded on their capacity to express their ideas, engage the audience, and answer to questions.
- Final Ranking: The combined scores from the previous stage of selection and the oral presentation will be used to calculate the final ranking, which will be based on the final ranking. The winner of the competition will be determined based on the essay that receives the highest total score; runners-up and third-place finishers will also be recognized.
- Award Ceremony During the award ceremony, the winners will be revealed, and they will receive their awards while stakeholders, academics, principals, parents, teachers, and fellow students look on. It has been decided that the presentation of awards will take place in the University Auditorium on July 14, 2023.
The Coal City University (CCU) 2023 Annual Scholarship Essay for Nigerian Students is open to all International Students
If a student enrolls in one of the degree programs offered by SOAS University of London, they may be eligible to receive a fee waiver award in the amount of £5,000. This award is available to students who are interested in receiving a degree from SOAS University of London.
- Visit the webpage of Coal City University for further information.
The application deadline for the Coal City University (CCU) 2023 Annual Scholarship Essay for Nigerian Students is June 9, 2023.