Studying in Slovakia will help open the eyes of international students to a whole new way of learning. Slovakia has some of the best science programs out there, and students that are interested in that subject will find that they will excel in Slovakia. We will discuss which universities are available and how much a student will need to budget month to month.
Universities in Slovakia:
- Comenius University
- Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava
- University of Economics in Bratislava
- Matej Bel University
- University of Prešov
- University of Trnava
- Constantine the Philosopher University in Nitra
- University of Žilina
- University of Veterinary Medicine in Kosice
- Košice Medical University
- Slovak Medical University
- University of Ss. Cyril and Methodius
- Slovak University of Agriculture
- Jessenius Faculty of Medicine
- St. Elizabeth College of Health and Social Work
- Pan European University
- Catholic University in Ružomberok
- Alexander Dubček University of Trenčín
- Technical University in Zvolen
- School of Economics and Management in Public Administration in Bratislava
- Academy of Performing Arts in Bratislava
- Academy of Fine Arts and Design, Bratislava
- Technical University of Kosice
- College Danubius
- Academy of Arts in Banská Bystrica
This is not a complete list of available universities and higher education institutions in Slovakia.
Academic programs available at Comenius University:
- Biological Chemistry
- Natural Sciences
- Central European Studies
- Environmental Studies
- Management and Law
- Earth Sciences
- Social and Occupational Psychology
- Cognitive Science
- Computer Graphics and Software
- Renewable Energy Sources Studies
- Optics, Lasers, and Optical Spectroscopy
- Nuclear and Subnuclear Physics
- Plasma Physics
- General Medicine
- Theoretical Physics
- Solid State Physics
Student Cost of Living
Average rent in Slovakia goes between 200-400 EUR per month. Then the extra necessities that are required for everyday life puts on about 300 EUR extra, which comes to a total month to month budget of 600 to 700 EUR per month. Slovakia is deemed as one of the most affordable places in this part of the world.
Students can live quite comfortably if they already have their finances worked out and have paid tuition for the entire year. Tuition does work slightly different in Slovakia, because they have an added tax or tuition fee that has to be paid each year that student excels past undergraduate status.
Cost of Tuition
While non-EU students end up paying a higher tuition (because EU students can pretty much get away without paying a tuition let alone the tuition fees) international students can expect to pay anywhere from 600 – 6,000 EUR per academic year. And the tuition fee which is separate from tuition, would cost around 2,000 – 5,500 annually.
The reason the tuition is higher, is based on how EU students are able to pretty much have a free tuition, while non-EU students are asked to pay to create a balance effect.
Languages Spoken in Slovakia
The main language spoken in Slovakia is Slovak. International students would be better off studying in Slovakia if they already know some Slovak. However, English is the most spoken foreign language in the country, which makes English their second most common language.
Other languages that are spoken in Slovakia include Russian, Hungarian, Ukrainian, Polish, Latin, Czech, and German. Knowing a secondary language that is used throughout a countries region does help international students to feel more involved within their study countries community.