$5,000 Mesothelioma Scholarship: A Great Opportunity for Students Affected by Cancer
Cancer is a devastating disease that can affect anyone, regardless of age, gender, race or background. It can cause physical, emotional, and financial hardships for patients and their families. For students who are pursuing higher education, cancer can also pose a significant challenge to their academic goals and aspirations.
Fortunately, some scholarships aim to help students who have been impacted by cancer, either personally or through a close loved one. One of these scholarships is the Mesothelioma.com Scholarship, which awards $4,000 annually to one student whose life has been affected by cancer, not just mesothelioma. This scholarship is offered by Mesothelioma.com, a website that provides information and resources for people who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, a rare and aggressive form of cancer caused by exposure to asbestos.
If you or someone you know has been affected by cancer and is looking for financial assistance to pursue higher education, you may consider applying for the Mesothelioma.com Scholarship. In this article, we will summarize the scholarship provider, the eligible applicants, the application process, the eligibility criteria, the scholarship deadline, and the scholarship link.
About the Scholarship Provider
Mesothelioma.com is a website that was created in 1996 to provide information and support for people who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma or other asbestos-related diseases. The website offers various resources, such as articles, blogs, news, legal options, treatment centers, doctors, and support groups. The website also raises awareness about the dangers of asbestos exposure and advocates for a ban on asbestos in the United States.
The Mesothelioma.com Scholarship was established in 2015 in honor of Heather Von St. James, a mesothelioma survivor and advocate, and her husband Cameron, who enrolled in college after Heather’s diagnosis. The scholarship aims to honor the legacy of mesothelioma patients and their loved ones by providing financial assistance to students who have been affected by cancer.
The Mesothelioma.com Scholarship is open to students impacted by cancer, not just mesothelioma. The following types of students are eligible to apply:
- Those who have experienced their cancer diagnosis, current or past
- Those who have a parent, sibling, immediate family member, or close friend who has battled or is currently fighting cancer
The applicants must also meet the following requirements:
- Be enrolled full-time at an accredited two-year or four-year university, community college, junior college or graduate degree program in the United States
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
How to Apply
To apply for the Mesothelioma.com Scholarship, applicants must submit the following documents:
- A completed online application form
- A copy of their transcript or proof of enrollment
- Two letters of recommendation from non-family members
- A 500-word essay or a 2-minute video on how cancer has impacted their lives
The essay or video should address the following questions:
- How has cancer affected your life?
- How did it influence your personal goals and career aspirations?
- How did you overcome the challenges that cancer presented?
- What advice would you give to someone who is going through a similar experience?
The essay or video should be original, creative and engaging. It should also demonstrate the applicant’s academic potential and personal character.
The Mesothelioma.com Scholarship is awarded based on the following criteria:
- The quality and content of the essay or video
- The academic achievements and extracurricular activities of the applicant
- The letters of recommendation from non-family members
- The financial need of the applicant
The scholarship committee will review all applications and select one winner each year. The winner will be notified by email and phone within 30 days after the deadline. The winner will also be announced on the website and social media platforms of Mesothelioma.com.
The deadline to apply for the Mesothelioma.com Scholarship is March 31st each year. The application must be submitted online before 11:59 PM (EST) on that date. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
To learn more about the Mesothelioma.com Scholarship and to access the online application form, please visit this link. You can also contact them at sch[email protected] if you have any questions or concerns.
We hope this article has provided you with useful information about the Mesothelioma.com Scholarship and how it can help you achieve your educational goals. If you are eligible and interested in applying for this scholarship, we encourage you to do so as soon as possible. Good luck!