The Carson Scholars Fund awards $1,000 college scholarships to students in grades 4-11 who excel academically and are dedicated to serving their communities. Scholarship winners receive the honor of being named “Carson Scholars” and are awarded an Olympic-sized medal and a trophy for their school to celebrate their accomplishments. Previous winners of Carson Scholarships are eligible to reapply for Carson Scholar Recognition annually.
Scholarships are awarded solely on the basis of academic achievement and humanitarian qualities, without regard to financial need, ethnicity, creed or religion.
The Carson Scholars Fund, Inc. was founded in 1994 to address the education crisis in the United States. When now retired world-renowned Johns Hopkins Pediatric Neurosurgeon Benjamin S. Carson, M.D. and his wife, Candy, read a research study about education in the United States, they were alarmed by the findings. The study showed that our nation’s students ranked #21 out of 22 countries; next to the bottom of the list in science and math. Furthermore, the Carsons observed that many school display cases were filled with large trophies paying tribute to their sport teams’ achievements, while honor students only received a pin or certificate.
Eligibility & Requirements
- Students must attend an accredited K-12 school in the United States.
- An interested student must be nominated by an educator at his or her school to be able to compete for a Carson Scholarship.
- Only one student from each school is able to apply, ensuring that each nominee epitomizes academic excellence.
- Carson Scholars must have a minimum GPA of 3.75 and display humanitarian qualities through community service.
If you fall into one of these categories, the Carson Scholars Fund has an existing relationship with and already distributes scholarship applications annually:
- All schoosl that has previously received an application from Carson.
- Most schools in Maryland have previously received an application, so Carson solely accepts most Maryland-based students.
- Many schools in the Pittsburgh Public School District and Hamilton County Public School District in Tennessee.
How to Apply
Full out the application request form that will have you state your school name, school address, student’s own school email, grades severed by the school, and lastly an inquiry into receiving an application. The only way to fill out an application is to follow the link provide to fill out the form.
Total reward is $1,000 USD.
January 10, 2022