What can we expect from the scholarships given out by universities in Costa Rica? What about international students who wish to move and study in Costa Rica, what can they do to acquire a scholarship? We will look at different scholarships, grants, bursaries, and options for all international students that are interested in traveling and studying abroad.
Scholarships in Costa Rica:
- Fund for Education Abroad – awards vary from $1,000 to $5,000 and the program study has to be at least 4 weeks long
- The U.S. Department of State’s Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship – now this is a grant program out of the United States, however, since individuals from Costa Rica are also part-time U.S. citizens, they can apply.
- Costa Rican Vacations scholarship program – this is a dream innovation scholarship that will be awarded to the student who shows the best new ideas for the tourism industry in Costa Rica. The award amount comes out to an even $1,000 USD.
- Environmental Studies in Costa Rica – this scholarship is being handed out by the University of Utah where students who are chosen as recipients can travel to Costa Rica and use the amount awarded towards all travel expenses.
- Joshua Haglund Memorial Peace Scholarships – awards are worth $500 each and will be given to a student who is already studying in Costa Rica.
- Neotropical Bat Ecology in Costa Rica program – any students who are studying biological studies abroad are now eligible to apply for this scholarship. Students must be studying ecology in Costa Rica or an equal study field.
- Office of Study Abroad scholarships – this scholarship is awarded based on academic excellence and merit.
- The University of South Florida’s Costa Rica Globalization and Community Health Summer Field School program – this is only for anthropology students who are interested in studying the healthcare involved in the country. This particular study takes place in a high forested area of Costa Rica.
- Toyota International Teacher Program – this program is available for teachers who are from other parts of the world but would love to teach in Costa Rica. This program offers so many advantages from housing, teaching positions, and educating students in Costa Rica.
- National Spanish Exams Award – this is for students who are studying education, to actually travel to their choice of Costa Rica or Spain to earn their higher education in a new country.
Another thing to remember, when it comes to looking for scholarship both international and domestic. With Costa Rica scholarships, the United States provide many travel abroad scholarships for students to study or work as an educator in Costa Rica.
For example, the Santa Monica College out of California, has an excellent Costa Rica program. During spring break and summer break, this Costa Rica program always students to learn about the justice and environmental system in place. Students are allowed to pick which programs they want to pick from San Jose, UPEACE, Nacientes Palmichal, Quitirissi Indigenous Reserve, Inter-American Court of Human Rights, Rainforest Spices, and Manuel Antonio National Park.
Luckily students can find many universities from around the world that have summer and spring programs available to travel to Costa Rica and end up earning a higher degree in a new country.