There are more than 100,000 international students studying various programs at universities across The Netherlands.
One of the reasons for this large number of students in such a small country is the quality of the universities. The country is home to some of the best universities in the world. Check out the Netherlands Masters Scholarships.
Other than that, the Netherlands is one of the most multicultural and liberal countries in the world, with policies that make it easy for international students to feel welcome.
Once again, there is the fact that almost everyone speaks English and there are thousands of courses taught in English in the Netherlands.
The cost of living and tuition fees are among the lowest in Europe. In general, there is much to be said about the Netherlands as a study-abroad location. Do you want to study for your master’s degree in the Netherlands but money is an obstacle?
Do not despair as some of the best universities in the Netherlands offer many scholarships for international students. So relax and read on.
Table of Contents.
- Why study in the Netherlands
- List of Masters Scholarships in Holland
- 1. Utrecht University Excellence Scholarship for International Students
- 2. Delft University of Technology Justus & Louise van Effen Excellence Scholarship
- 3. Maastricht University Holland High Potential Scholarships for International Students
- 4. Leiden University Excellence Scholarships (Lex)
- 5. University of Groningen Erik Bleumink Excellence Scholarships
- 6. Vrije University Scholarship Program in Amsterdam (VUFP)
- 7. University of Amsterdam Excellence Scholarships (AES)
- 8. University of Twente Scholarship (UTS)
Why study in the Netherlands
There are many good reasons to study in the Netherlands. The Netherlands is an incredibly attractive country for international students and hundreds of them come here every year to study due to the quality of education that is among the best in the world.
Universities in the Netherlands offer various programs in English and studying in the Netherlands is affordable compared to countries like the UK and the US.
Furthermore, the costs of school, accommodation, and ‘living’ are considerably lower than in many other European countries.
Also, studying in the Netherlands helps you learn to develop your own opinion after you have done extensive research and also by asking other people’s opinions.
This is the favorite part of studying in the Netherlands, where students can apply for scholarships or student loans from a body called DUO (Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs).
List of Masters Scholarships in Holland
here is a list of master’s scholarships in Holland
- Utrecht University Excellence Scholarship for International Students
- The Justus & Louise van Effen Excellence Scholarship at Delft University of Technology
- Maastricht University Holland High Potential Scholarships for International Students
- Leiden University Excellence Scholarships (Lex)
- University of Groningen Erik Bleumink Excellence Scholarships
- Vrije University Scholarship Program in Amsterdam (VUFP)
- University of Amsterdam Excellence Scholarships (AES)
- University of Twente (UTS) Scholarship
1. Utrecht University Excellence Scholarship for International Students
This scholarship is aimed at outstanding students from outside the EU and EEA. There are around 25 places available for students who wish to pursue a Master’s program in selected courses at Utrecht University.
This scholarship covers tuition fees. Sometimes students receive living expenses of approximately €11,000 in addition to tuition fees. It is renewable annually based on the student’s academic performance.
2. Delft University of Technology Justus & Louise van Effen Excellence Scholarship
Study abroad students who wish to pursue a master’s degree at the Delft University of Technology can apply for this grant. Again, recipients must be academically excellent and must be non-citizens of the Netherlands.
3. Maastricht University Holland High Potential Scholarships for International Students
This scholarship is for non-EU/EEA international students who wish to pursue a postgraduate master’s or professional education program at Maastricht University.
This is a full scholarship for the duration of the program and covers living expenses, insurance, the cost of the visa, and fees. Students who are under the age of 35 at the beginning of the program are not eligible for the scholarship.
4. Leiden University Excellence Scholarships (Lex)
All international students (except EU/EEA citizens) are invited to apply for the Leaden Universities Excellence Scholarship program. All Master’s programs are eligible as long as candidates are registered to study as full-time students at Leiden University.
The grant has 3 categories. These are:
- €10,000 of tuition.
- €15,000 of tuition.
- Total enrollment minus statutory enrollment
5. University of Groningen Erik Bleumink Excellence Scholarships
The Erik Bleumink Scholarships of Excellence are aimed at students from selected developing countries around the world who wish to pursue a master’s program at the University of Groningen.
All master programs are eligible for the scholarship which covers tuition fees, international travel costs, living expenses books, and medical insurance.
The scholarship is for the duration of the program.
6. Vrije University Scholarship Program in Amsterdam (VUFP)
The VUFP is for talented international students who wish to pursue a master’s program at the University. With a budget of around €1 million, the University hopes to help outstanding students who have applied for an English teaching program.
The scholarship is awarded to new Master’s students only. For two-year programs, it is renewable if the student showed excellent academic records in the first year. However, this is a partial scholarship that covers only the cost of tuition.
7. University of Amsterdam Excellence Scholarships (AES)
The AES is an international scholarship for outstanding international students living outside of Europe. Outstanding students must have registered to study an English-taught Master’s program at the University of Amsterdam.
The scholarship covers tuition and living expenses during the first year. For two-year programs, there is the possibility of renewing the scholarship for a second year.
8. University of Twente Scholarship (UTS)
The UTS is a master’s scholarship for all international students who wish to pursue a master’s degree at the university. The scholarship is a cash grant to cover the cost of living and other expenses worth between €3,000 and €25,000, depending on your program of study.
About 50 slots are available. Students registered for the 2-year Master’s programs would be eligible for a renewable program if they show proof of academic excellence in the first year of their study.
After reading the article and seeing the scholarship, I believe that any of these scholarships listed here will expose you to many opportunities in the Netherlands and help you financially to pursue your Master in the Netherlands.