Kochi University of Technology in Japan has introduced a Special Scholarship Program tailored specifically for international students who are pursuing a Doctoral Program in the field of Engineering during the academic year 2023-2024. The university is actively encouraging exceptional Engineering students to take advantage of this fully-funded opportunity, which aims to support them in realizing their career and academic aspirations.
Source: Kochi University of Technology
The Special Scholarship Program (SSP) is an exclusive initiative designed specifically for doctoral candidates pursuing their studies in a project-based format. This program is intended to provide targeted support and opportunities for those engaged in advanced research and academic endeavors.
Scholarship Provider: Kochi University of Technology
About the Provider
Ever since its inception in April 1997, KUT has undergone a remarkable transformation. Today, it proudly hosts four distinguished schools encompassing various disciplines in both the sciences and humanities. These include the School of Systems Engineering, the School of Engineering Science, the School of Informatics, and the School of Economics & Management. Looking ahead to April 2024, KUT is making preparations to introduce an exciting addition to its academic offerings – the School of Data and Innovation, a collaborative effort with the Kochi Prefectural Government. This development will mark the establishment of the fifth school at KUT, signifying a significant expansion in the university’s educational and research domains.
The university has been driven by its strong vision to elevate the Kochi University of Technology or KUT as one of the world-class institutions, the university remains committed to achieving its exceptional standards and uniqueness. It steadfastly embraces agility and staying current, pioneering the implementation of cutting-edge educational systems like the quarter system. Alongside this, KUT is resolute in building upon its robust foundation as a public university corporation, ensuring its continued success and impact.
KUT stands at the forefront of educational innovation, striving to cultivate an educational system that is ahead of its time. Embracing its core educational motto of being a “university where students can grow,” KUT focuses on nurturing an environment that encourages students to flourish and realize their full potential. Unlike the conventional approach of developing students within a predefined framework, KUT’s emphasis lies in fostering a dynamic and transformative learning experience that empowers students to explore their interests, discover their passions, and evolve into well-rounded individuals. This unique approach reflects the university’s commitment to fostering lifelong learners who are equipped to thrive in a rapidly changing world.
- Applicant’s Nationality: International
- Degree Level: Doctoral Degree
- Fields: Engineering
- Number of Awards: No more than 3
- Duration: Up to three years
- Scholarship Awards: Fully-funded
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
- Scholarship Country: Japan
Before proceeding with the application, the students must meet the eligibility criteria for the scholarship program.
- The applicants must obtain permission from the leader of the preferred SSP project to apply for that project
- Possess a degree from an accredited university or institution, equivalent to Kochi University of Technology’s master’s degree after 18 years of education, or be on track to obtain such a degree before the KUT enrollment date
- The applicants must be 35 years old or younger at the time of enrollment (in principle)
- Must be able to demonstrate a strong academic record with outstanding bachelor’s and master’s degrees from reputable universities
- Exhibit the intention, adequate knowledge, and research skills required for the research project
- Must have good communication skills in oral and written English, Possessing a high proficiency in English.
- TOEFL iBT 72
- IELTS 5.5
- CEFR B2
Successful applicants must be able to meet their obligations to the university.
- SSP students are required to dedicate 50 hours each month to a designated research project at the university.
- At the conclusion of each semester, SSP students must submit a report detailing their study and research accomplishments to the dean of the Graduate School of Engineering.
- The submitted report will be assessed and evaluated by the dean of the Graduate School of Engineering.
- Eligible applicants are required to choose a research project from the Scholarship Program Research project list. All project lists can be found on the official website of the provider.
- Submit a complete Online Pre-Application Request to the leader of the preferred project using the KUT Online Pre-Application Request Form. Obtain the leader’s permission to apply for the SSP project. keep in mind that only one pre-application will be accepted per period, and the leader of the research will contact you if the application request was denied.
- Once you have received permission from the project leader, prepare all required documents and send them to KUT by post. Make sure the documents reach KUT before the specified deadline.
- To ensure sufficient time for document preparation for the formal application, it is strongly advised to send a pre-application request to the project leader at least 6 weeks prior to the formal application deadline.
As part of the application process, the applicants are required to submit the following:
- Certificate of English Proficiency
- A certified and original copy of Health in English or Japanese must be issued within the past 6 months.
- Two recommendation letters must be signed
- A detailed research outline must be in the English language and one page in length.
- Applicant’s copies of intending master’s thesis must be in the English language
- The original Master’s Degree Certificate must be in English
- Official academic transcript of records in Master’s degree
- Official academic transcript of records in Bachelor’s Degree
- Pre-signed application request
- A copy of the email or evidence of communications from the leader of the chosen research projects.
- Exemption from the 30,000 yen entrance examination fee, 300,000 yen enrollment fee, and 535,800 yen/year tuition fee.
- Monthly salary of 150,000 yen for research project work to support living expenses. (Taxes must be paid from this salary)
- Additional 150,000 yen for travel and initial living costs provided to international applicants residing outside Japan, and who possess or intend to acquire “Student” status of Japanese residence upon entry into Japan.
The deadline to complete and submit the application is until September 15, 2023.