The college was founded in 1870 and is part of the City University of New York (CUNY) system. With over 20,000 students, it is one of the largest colleges in the CUNY system and is known for its strong academic programs, diverse student body, and vibrant campus community.
Hunter College offers over 170 undergraduate and graduate programs across various fields, including arts and sciences, education, nursing, social work, and more. Some of the most popular majors at Hunter College include psychology, nursing, biology, and computer science. The college is also home to several highly-regarded research centers and institutes, including the Brookdale Center for Healthy Aging and Longevity, the Roosevelt House Public Policy Institute, and the Center for Puerto Rican Studies.
The Silberman Scholarship is a scholarship offered to incoming freshmen who plan to pursue a degree in social work. The scholarship is named after the late Harry Silberman, who was a prominent social worker and professor at Hunter College for over 30 years.
The scholarship provides full tuition for up to four years, as well as a stipend for books and supplies. In addition, Silberman Scholars are given opportunities for mentorship, professional development, and community service.
What are the eligibility requirements for The Silberman Scholarship:
The Silberman Scholarship at Hunter College is awarded to incoming freshmen who plan to pursue a degree in social work. To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Be an incoming freshman who has been accepted into the Bachelor of Social Work program at Hunter College.
- Have a minimum high school GPA of 3.2.
- Demonstrate a commitment to social justice and community service.
Additionally, applicants for the Silberman Scholarship will be evaluated based on their academic achievement, leadership potential, and passion for social work. The selection process for the scholarship is competitive and involves an application, an essay, and an interview.
It’s worth noting that the Silberman Scholarship is a highly prestigious award, and meeting the minimum eligibility requirements does not guarantee that an applicant will receive the scholarship. Applicants should put their best foot forward in their application materials and demonstrate how they meet the selection criteria in order to maximize their chances of being awarded the scholarship.
What is the total award for The Silberman Scholarship:
The Silberman Scholarship at Hunter College provides full-tuition coverage for up to four years of undergraduate study, as well as a stipend for books and supplies. This means that Silberman Scholars do not have to pay tuition costs out of pocket, and they will receive financial assistance to cover the cost of required course materials, such as textbooks.
The full-tuition coverage provided by the Silberman Scholarship is a significant award, as tuition costs can be a major financial burden for many students pursuing a college degree. The stipend for books and supplies is also a valuable resource, as it can help to further alleviate the financial strain of attending college.
How do you apply for The Silberman Scholarship:
To apply for the Silberman Scholarship at Hunter College, follow these steps:
- Apply to Hunter College: Before you can apply for the Silberman Scholarship, you must first be accepted into the Bachelor of Social Work program at Hunter College. You can apply to Hunter College through the CUNY Application or the Common Application.
- Submit the scholarship application: Once you have been accepted into the Bachelor of Social Work program, you can apply for the Silberman Scholarship by submitting a separate application. The scholarship application is typically available in the fall, and the deadline to apply is usually in early December. You can find the scholarship application on the Hunter College website.
- Write an essay: As part of the scholarship application, you will be required to write an essay on a specified topic related to social work. The essay should be well-written and demonstrate your passion for social justice and community service.
- Participate in an interview: If your application is selected for further consideration, you will be invited to participate in an interview with the scholarship committee. The interview is an opportunity for you to showcase your leadership potential, commitment to social work, and other qualifications that make you a strong candidate for the scholarship.
- Await the decision: After the interview process is complete, the scholarship committee will review all applications and make a decision on which applicants will be awarded the scholarship. If you are selected as a Silberman Scholar, you will be notified by the scholarship committee.
What Does a Student Visa Mean and How to Acquire One
To acquire a student visa to study in New York, a student would typically follow these steps:
- Receive an acceptance letter from a U.S. school: Before applying for a student visa, a student must first receive an acceptance letter from a U.S. school that is authorized to enroll nonimmigrant students.
- Pay the SEVIS fee: The student must pay the SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) fee and receive a payment confirmation.
- Complete the online visa application (DS-160): The student must complete the online visa application form (DS-160) and upload a passport-style photograph.
- Schedule a visa interview: The student must schedule a visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country.
- Attend the visa interview: The student must attend the visa interview and bring all required documentation, including the acceptance letter from the U.S. school, the SEVIS fee payment confirmation, and other supporting documents as requested by the embassy or consulate.
- Wait for visa processing: After the visa interview, the student must wait for their visa to be processed. The processing time varies by embassy or consulate and can take several weeks or longer.
- Enter the U.S.: Once the visa is approved, the student can enter the U.S. no earlier than 30 days before the start date of their program. At the U.S. port of entry, the student will be inspected by a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer who will make a determination on whether the student is eligible to enter the U.S. as a nonimmigrant student.
The Annual and Renewable Options For This Scholarship
Applications are due June 15th, 2023. This is a renewable scholarship and an annual scholarship option.
Other available scholarships to look at are Financial Aid Awards Asian Institute of Technology Scholarship for International Master and PhD Degree Students in Thailand, 2024 or Partial-funding MD/PhD AMC Scholarship Program for International Students at Amsterdam University Medical Centers, Netherlands 2024.
All applicants should consult the contact webpage that is in the contact section of this page if a question has not been answered. Beforehand check the university’s FAQs page to see if anything can be answered right away.
All students should check with the university website about any delays or changes to the open submission window or deadline time frame. This is the best way to see if anything needs to be reviewed or changed before submitting their application. Anyone can sign up to receive a university website newsletter to stay updated on the latest information.
Any student unsure about the rules and guidelines meant to be followed by the recipient should consult the website link provided. Anyone looking for more information that is not found on the website should contact the email address.
We also suggest that all applicants read through the information guideline page that is available through the original scholarship link. This way, the individual can navigate the website correctly and identify the real scholarship online application. So far there has been no mention of any delays for this opportunity or any cancellations.