The MD/Ph.D. Scholarship Program offered by the Amsterdam University Medical Centers combines the medical Master’s Program with Doctoral research. The scholarship aims to provide an opportunity for graduate students in a shorter time to participate in the program that can help them prepare on their master and doctoral degree in Netherlands for the academic year of 2023-2024.
The MD/Ph.D. Scholarship Program
MD/Ph.D. Scholarship Program aims to engage the medical master student in a Ph.D. research track, follow both medical and research training, and get close enough to the courses offered by the coordinator of the MD/Ph.D. program. The university wants to encourage the students to build and develop their talents in the medical science fields to prepare them for their careers as a physician.
Outstanding medical students with a solid obligation to research showing major areas of strength during their logical temporary job are incidentally offered a Ph.D. position by their supervisors. The MD/Ph.D. scholarship will be accessible to the AMC/UvA students. The students are offered a tailored master’s degree program that will enable them for their research and education. The commencement and end dates of the Master Phases 1 and 2 and 3 are set by AMC support, in light of the fact that the internship schedules of ensuing ages of MD/Ph.D. students must be attuned to avoid the vacancy of internships. Some parts of the MD/Ph.D. program are adaptable.
Scholarship Provider: Amsterdam University Medical Centers
About the Provider
Amsterdam University Medical Centers is one of the leading medical centers combining innovative scientific research and education for students committed to healthcare professions. The university believes that education, research, and health care practice belong together to shape and transform medical professionals’ future.
Amsterdam UMC is the home of eight research institutes, casual organizations of research groups, and departments working on different parts of a similar research theme. A few research institutes are joint with other resources of the University of Amsterdam and the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
Together they cover the full spectrum of biomedical research and health themes. In diverse groups, they plan to outfit knowledge from fundamental research to the development of novel medications for patient consideration or disease counteraction. Utilizing multidisciplinary and between-sectoral approaches they center around quality as well as on the cultural importance of their research.
Amsterdam UMC has set up a wide scope of central offices and a data system that empowers the development of science practices to Open Science. Dedicated Research support groups are set up to make an invigorating research setting and provide hands-on help to researchers. UMC is proud of its cooperative mindset and works together with different institutes in territorial, public, and international settings.
- Applicant’s Nationality: International
- Academic Year: 2023-2024
- Degree Level: Master or PhD
- Fields: Medicine
- Number of Awards: Four
- Duration: Up to two years
- Scholarship Awards: Salary
- Scholarship Country: Netherlands
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
- The candidates for the program must have a track history record for a full scientific promise as evidenced by their proven activities on their CV, academic grades, and letter of motivation. In addition to the letter of recommendation, from an AMC PI, and/or extracurricular research exercises in the AMC or affiliated research institutes are needed. Candidates should likewise have obtained phenomenal assessments for their bachelor’s study and must not have a certain delay in their program.
- The applicants must have started their undergraduate degree in Medicine in the academic year 2020-2021
- Started earlier with no further delays
- Started their premaster program in Summer 2022
- Must not have claimed any clinical internship and will not start the internship by March 2024.
- The MD/Ph.D. program is open for honorable bachelor’s degree students as well as other outstanding medical students. The blend of an MD/Ph.D. program and an honors Master’s degree program isn’t allowed.
- It will be possible for the students to participate in the scholarship program as well as the double master’s degree in medicine and biomedical science. If you are selected for the scholarship, the DuMA program will be terminated by the university.
- The internship will be scheduled according to the program, the candidates must be able to comply with the given schedules.
The application can be completed in an online portal provided by the university.
- The research proposals can be prepared together with your intended Ph.D. manager, who should sign them for endorsement. The structure includes a description of your research project, the name of the AMC department at which you wish to work, the name of the Ph.D. supervisor, and a budget with the estimated complete expenses of your research, including the extent to be met from the scholarship and from somewhere else, like the department or other external sources.
Applicants must be able to submit the following
As part of the application process, the applicant must be able to complete the following materials.
- A letter that explains the reason for the application and how will you be able to meet the requirements of the program.
- Research proposal which uses a standard form
- Applicant’s curriculum vitae
- Transcript of records
- List of publication
- Written confirmation from the Ph.D. supervisor
- All applications will be evaluated by a scholarship panel of three AMC teachers, the director of the Doctoral School, and the program director of the Master’s program of Medicine UvA, appointed by the dean of Education of the Staff of Medicine UvA.
- Applicants who have completed and met all the requirements will be considered for evaluation.
- The shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview.
The MD/PhD scholarship will be covering the salary of the students for to year and a half, plus limited research fees. Full benefits for the scholarship will be discussed after the awarding of the scholarship program.
The deadline to complete and submit the application is until August 11, 2023.