When it comes to studying abroad and in a different country like Kiribati, it can be a taxing moment when it comes down to researching what available scholarships there are to pursue. From government grants, to university entrance scholarships that are handed out upon sending in the submission admissions application.
We will break down what scholarships and fellowships are available in each country, along with the title of those scholarships. This way it can be much easier during a student’s research when they decide to look up the full details of that scholarship to see if they are an eligible match.
Along with scholarships, we will place any internships or work-study programs that may be readily available for international students.
Below is a list of scholarships available to both domestic citizens of Kiribati and international students interested in studying in the country.
Scholarships in Kiribati
- Kiribati (Chevening Scholarship)
- Kiribati Australia Awards
- The University of Queensland – Kathleen Campbell-Brown Scholarship in Australia
- Sydney Law School Entrance Scholarship
- Aalborg University Offers Nordplus Scholarships for International Students in Denmark
- Kiribati Scholarship Students – First Families Related to Kiribati Citizens
- The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship
- Pacific Island Country nationals for Graduate Scholarships – For Master degree students only
- The Deutschlandstipendium at the Deggendorf Institute of Technology Scholarships
- Government of Australia Fully Funded MSc Fellowships at World Maritime University
- John Allwright Fellowship for Developing Countries – Students in Australia
Student Visa in Kiribati
Yes, international students will need to acquire a student visa before arriving in Kiribati. As standard procedure it is easier on the student to acquire a student visa before arriving so there is no problems with crossing the border into the country. At times, it can be difficult for student upon arrival if they do not have all of their paperwork stating which university they are attending in Kiribati, or what they intend to study. Along with not having a student visa to all the student to stay the full academic term.
With a low cost of living throughout Kiribati, international students will be able to find that studying will provide a low stress type of life. There are many programs and courses available from each university in Kiribati which will show international students what they have been missing from the cultural lifestyle in the country.
Learn the Local Language
This is one of the bigger points for any country. Each country releases a huge amount of ‘language scholarships’ that is dedicated to the students who are currently learning the local language and who intend to pursue a higher education in the cultural history of Kiribati.
Each country will have a language proficiency exam to place ethe student in classes where they are familiar with the language. This is a regular occurrence to ensure that the student does not immediately fall behind in their coursework because simply they do not understand the language.
Most universities will place international students into free language programs so the students can begin basic level exercises to help them to learn the local or official language of the country.