Each year, Rotary offers its Peace Scholarship program to finance those interested in one of the master’s degrees or short professional programs at Rotary Peace Centers around the world.
Rotary International is a global organization whose purpose is to bring together business and professional leaders to serve the community. Currently, it has more than 1.4 million members worldwide.
Rotary Peace Fellowships around the world
Since 2002, Rotary has launched its Scholarships for Peace program, awarding over 130 scholarships to leaders from around the world.
This program allows scholarship recipients to study for a master’s degree or short program at one of the Centers for Peace. Likewise, these programs offer a combination of academic and practical training in topics related to peace and conflict resolution.
Master’s programs eligible for Peace Scholarships
The master’s programs last from 18 to 22 months and are intended for recent graduates in topics related to peace and development. .
The Master’s programs eligible for the Scholarships are:
- Duke University and University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill, United States )
- International Christian University (Tokyo, Japan)
- University of Bradford (Bradford, England)
- University of Queensland (Brisbane, Australia)
- Uppsala University (Uppsala, Sweden)
Short programs eligible for Peace Scholarships
Instead, diploma programs are offered for experienced professionals. In addition, they have a duration of 12 to 24 months.
Additionally, the programs offered are:
Eligibility Criteria for Peace Scholarships
The call for Rotary scholarships is open to:
- Citizens from anywhere in the world.
- English proficiency level
- Have at least an undergraduate/bachelor’s degree
Likewise, those interested must have the requested and relevant professional experience in the field of peace and development:
- Master’s degree with a minimum of three years of experience
- Short programs are a minimum of five years of experience
In addition, leadership skills and working with the community are highly valued in these scholarships.
Benefits of Rotary Peace Fellowships
The scholarships offered are comprehensive and include the following benefits:
- Tuition expenses and academic fees
- Monthly maintenance allowance
- Round-trip air tickets from the country of origin
- Internship and conference expenses
- Among others
However, these benefits may vary from program to program. Therefore, it is recommended to carefully review each of the benefits offered.
Application and application process
Interested parties must select at least two programs of interest and send the application (with the required documentation) through the nearest Rotary club (you can search for it through the locator).
Later, if the applicant receives the endorsement of the Rotary club, they will go through an interview process.
Finally, the winners will be notified and will only have to complete the admission process at the destination university.
Finally, Rotary Peace Fellowships open each year, usually with a closing date of mid-May. Likewise, the winners are notified in mid-November to start in the following academic year.