The Mayor’s Office of Medellín has opened its student grant for Technology Scholarships to promote the access of young Medellín residents to technological programs.
About the Technologies Scholarship program
The Mayor’s Office of Medellín, in its mission to promote labor insertion in the city, offers its Technology Scholarship program that seeks to allow young people access to technological programs. Likewise, guarantee an inclusive, equitable, and quality education.
On the other hand, Becas Tecnología seeks that young people from the city study a university program for free. In addition, that their training is relevant to the Fourth Industrial Revolution, guaranteeing a job placement in the future.
The program includes 6 university institutions in the city:
- Pascual Bravo University Institution
- Technological of Antioquia
- ITM University Institution
- Digital University Institution of Antioquia
- Colombian Polytechnic Jaime Isaza Cadavid
- University Institution Colegio Mayor de Antioquia
Technology programs eligible for scholarships
Similarly, the Technology Scholarship program offers more than 50 eligible technologies in different professional areas. Some of the technologies eligible for scholarships are:
- Software development
- Administrative management
- Industrial design
- Commercial management
- Event production
- Development of Applications for Mobile Devices
- Management of Companies and Tourist Destinations
- Among others
Equally important is to mention that most technologies are face-to-face. However, there are some virtual program options.
Eligibility criteria for the Technologies Scholarships
The program is aimed at inhabitants of the city of Medellín (16 communes and 5 townships) who have lived in the city in the last year. Likewise, foreigners with a residence visa or immigration card may participate.
Additionally, the interested parties must meet the following requirements:
- Be up to 30 years of age at the time of enrollment
- Be a graduate or 11th-grade student
- Be registered or have presented State tests Know 11
- Show up in one of the program’s technologies
On the other hand, it is important to mention that university students or those with a higher education degree cannot participate in the program. As well as recipients of other scholarships with resources from the Medellín Mayor’s Office.
Financial benefits and scholarship renewal
The Technology Scholarships finance the three years (6 semesters) that the technology lasts. Likewise, beneficiaries will not have to pay tuition costs.
Additionally, the program registration process is completely free and without intermediaries. Additionally, the winners of the scholarship will not have to sign a promissory note to access the scholarship.
Another element is that the scholarship is renewed each semester according to the fulfillment of the academic requirements stipulated by the scholarship.
Registration for the Technologies Scholarships
The registration process for the Technology Scholarships is very simple and totally virtual. Remember that there is no need for intermediaries or payments.
Therefore, interested parties should only:
- Fill out the requested form with all personal information
- Attach in PDF the documents that accredit the registered information.
At the time of registration, interested parties must have the following information available:
- Identification document
- Saber 11 State Tests (ICFES) or the certificate of registration for these
- Bachelor’s degree certificate (in case of validation, the validation exam approved by ICFES must be presented). 11-year-old students must submit a certificate from the educational institution stating that they will pass the course
- Receipt of public services showing stratum and residence address.
Subsequently, it is recommended to carefully review the documentation necessary to complete the registration on the scholarship page.
Selection process and important dates
The selection of scholarship holders is made through a scoring system, regarding their socio-economic situation and training. This score will be added to that of the university institutions to select the final beneficiaries.
Finally, the Technologies Scholarships open every semester. Therefore, they have a closing date in September (to start in the first half of the following year) and April (to start in the second half of the year).