Seeking to pursue your studies in South Korea? Here is an opportunity to do so. Whether you are seeking a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or a Ph.D. program, this grant might just be what you need to make your dreams come through.
The South Korean government offers scholarships to international students in different study areas with the intention of promoting study exchanges and benefiting their relationships with other countries.
The Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) is a South Korean government scholarship program.
Its objective is to provide higher education opportunities within its universities, in addition to developing global leaders and strengthening their cooperation networks worldwide.
Applicants must have an excellent academic record, equal to or greater than 80% of the maximum academic average.
In addition, their parents must be citizens of the countries listed by the scholarship and they must be under 25 years old (undergraduate/graduate) and under 40 years old (graduate).
About South Korea
The Republic of Korea known as South Korea is a country in East Asia, located in the southern part of the Korean peninsula.
It limits to the north with the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (North Korea, or North Korea), with which it formed a single country until 1945.
To the east is the Sea of Japan or the East Sea, to the south is the Strait of Korea, which separates it from Japan, and to the west is the Yellow Sea.
Its territory includes the southern half of the Korean peninsula encompassing about three thousand islands that surround it, within which Jeju, Ulleungdo, and Dokdo stand out.
About half of the country’s population lives in its capital, Seoul, or in its metropolitan area, which is one of the. Korea is one of the oldest civilizations in the world.
Study programs offered
- Master’s Studies: The scholarship period consists of 1 year of Korean language study and 2 years of study.
- Ph.D. Studies: The scholarship period consists of 1 year of Korean language study and 3 years of study.
- Undergraduate Studies (Bachelor’s Degree): The scholarship period consists of 1 year of Korean language study and 4 years of undergraduate depending on the selected area.
Courses to Study:
- Agriculture and Related Sciences
- American History
- American Jewish History
- American Literature
- American Politics
- American Studies
- Architecture and Environmental Design
- Area and Ethnic Studies
- Art History
- Arts and Culture
Eligibility for South Korean Government Scholarships
- Have an excellent academic record, equal to or greater than 80% of the maximum academic average.
- Applicants and their parents must be citizens of the countries listed by the scholarship (includes all of Latin America).
- Be under 25 years old (undergraduate/graduate) and under 40 years old (graduate).
- Round plane tickets
- Tuition cost
- Health insurance
- Maintenance allowance
- Arrival allowance
The number of benefits varies depending on the type of scholarship, be it for undergraduate or graduate degrees.
Application process and date
Those interested may apply through the South Korean embassies in their country or at the selected Korean university.
The calls for these scholarships open every year and the dates vary depending on the level of the study program.