Stellenbosch University’s Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences is happy to announce that they will be offering a limited number of full-time scholarships to students who will be beginning their PhD studies in the year 2024.
The Graduate School is responsible for the administration of doctorate scholarships as well as the coordination of a partially organised, full-time doctoral scholarship programme. The Graduate School also coordinates multi- and interdisciplinary research themes as part of the doctoral programme. This is done in order to assist in the preparation of Africa’s next generation of academics and professionals to address critical challenges facing the continent, with a particular emphasis on the elimination of poverty and the promotion of peace and democracy. PANGeA, which stands for the Partnership for Africa’s Next Generation of Academics, is an initiative that encourages and facilitates collaborative research, (co)supervision, and academic interaction with premier universities located in other parts of Africa.
About the Scholarship Provider:
Despite the fact that it was founded in Africa, Stellenbosch University (SU) now has an international presence and a significant amount of impact. Throughout the course of the last century, the mission of the University of Cape Town has been to establish itself as a frontrunner among universities on the African continent that place a strong emphasis on research; to earn a reputation on a global scale as being outstanding, welcoming, and forward-thinking; and to serve as a location at which knowledge is advanced for the purpose of societal advancement. It is the purpose of this organization to act as a focal point for the advancement of knowledge for the benefit of society as a whole.
The University of Southern California (SU) is an esteemed educational institution that focuses a significant emphasis on scholarly investigation. As a direct consequence of this, it is in a position to attract the brightest students and faculty personnel. It is a worldwide center, and as such, it improves and reshapes communities on a local, regional, and global scale all at the same time. This is a unique site. The judgments made by the University are grounded in the institution’s fundamental principles, which include compassion, equity, and accountability. These principles serve as the University’s compass in all of its endeavors. The third premise that underscores the University’s mission is the cultivation of mutual respect and comprehension between all parties involved. The first three tenets that make up the SU ethics code are all equally important and can be found to be found inextricably entwined with one another.
On April 2, 1918, the State University of New York (SU) was founded with a total of 503 students, 40 faculty members, and four faculties (arts, science, education, and agriculture). Agriculture was the original faculty. At Syracuse University, there are more than 32,000 students enrolled in undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs combined. More over 4,000 of these students are considered to be international students, and they originate from more than a hundred different nations. The 10 faculties of the university can be found over five different campuses. Over 3,300 people are employed full-time at the university, in addition to 352 people working as postdoctoral fellows, making up the entire workforce.
In 2018, Stellenbosch University (SU) intends to put its Vision 2040 and a strategy framework into action in order to create favorable conditions for the continued growth of the institution. In addition to these goals, the university seeks to give students with an experience that will leave a lasting impression, cultivate meaningful relationships and inclusive networks, encourage networked and collaborative teaching and learning, carry out research that will have a beneficial impact on society, and establish SU as an employer of choice. Stellenbosch University is able to offer a wide variety of educational possibilities due to the fact that it has over fifty research and service divisions, in addition to ten core faculties that are spread across five campuses. Because of this, the university has gained a reputation for being one of the most prestigious institutions in the world for undertaking cutting-edge and relevant research on Africa.
This reputation has helped the university achieve a place among the top universities in Africa. The university is home to around 3 000 students from countries other than South Africa in addition to the 25 000 students who hail from that country. In addition, there are 939 members of the faculty and staff working at the institution, and these individuals come from a wide range of cultural origins as well as academic specializations. Despite the fact that the Afrikaans language is the principal medium of instruction at this university, the vast majority of classes and courses can be taken in either English or Afrikaans. Students from all around Southern Africa and even further abroad are now able to attend the university as a direct result of this change.
Since 2011, the “Research Alliance for Disaster Risk Reduction (RADAR)” has made the Department of Geography and Environmental Studies at Stellenbosch University its permanent location. This organization is the hub for both the secretariat and the project manager for the Periperi U collaboration, and it serves as the headquarters for both of those roles. When it comes to managing the presence of delegates at international conferences and the organization of meetings between various partners, it acts as a liaison between the parties involved.
SeNSS is one of only 14 Doctoral Training Partnerships in the United Kingdom that is sponsored by the ESRC, and they will be offering a handful of fully-funded ESRC doctoral studentships beginning in September 2023. SeNSS is one of the only 14 Doctoral Training Partnerships in the United Kingdom that is sponsored by the ESRC.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Stellenbosch University
Scholarship Country: South Africa
Scholarship Worth: R420 000
Study Level: PhD
Nationality: International Students
- PhD scholarships offer funding of up to R420 000 spread out over a period of three years.
- When successful applicants already hold other scholarships with a total value that is less than the maximum value of the Graduate School scholarship, the value of the Graduate School scholarship may be reduced.
The Gustafsson & Skrondal Visiting Scholarship is administered by the University of Oslo’s Centre for Educational Measurement (CEMO). As part of the visiting scholar program, CEMO and the University of Oslo host a number of young researchers from Norway and elsewhere each year.
Eligibility for Scholarship.
- A final-year grade of at least 70% in the applicant’s most recently earned degree is required.
- Applicants are required to submit a writing sample with their application:
- PhD candidates’ master’s theses
- If you have any relevant scholarly articles published, please include them.
- Applicants seeking a doctoral fellowship must be under the age of 40 on the application deadline.
- The starting date for all prospective students must be January 2024.
- This scholarship application (https://arts.sun.ac.za/files/2023/06/ApplicationForm_PhD-Scholarships-2024.docx) must be submitted together with an application to study at Stellenbosch University. Neither registration nor having a designated supervisor is needed of applicants. However, before submitting an application, they should find out if there are qualified supervisors in their area of study within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
- The following criteria will be used to determine which applicants receive scholarships:
- At the level of the individual:
- Excellent credentials for PhD study and a strong academic background.
- High levels of intrinsic drive to finish the course.
- How well the proposed research topic fits into the Arts and Social Sciences Department’s overall research agenda.
- The availability of qualified advisors in the area of study being considered.
- Applicants who are younger than 40 years old. Scholars under the age of 40 will be given priority, but candidates of any age will be evaluated.
- In the aggregate:
- Equality for women.
- Preference will be given to applicants from countries in sub-Saharan Africa in order to increase academic and language compatibility.
- CBI (Coloured, Black, and Indian) applicants will be given precedence among the South African portion of scholarship applicants, assuming they meet all other conditions.
- Applicants from outside of South Africa will be given priority for scholarships if their nominations are backed by PANGeA institutions (the universities of Botswana, Dar es Salaam, Ghana, Makerere, Malawi, Nairobi, and Yaoundé I).
- In order to make a determination about the suitability of any candidate for the award of a scholarship, the University may seek additional information, in addition to material submitted in the application.
Required Application Materials
- Prepare the following if you’re interested in applying:
- Formal request for consideration;
- a letter of intent (no more than 600 words long);
- No more than 500 words long, your research topic should outline your planned study’s central question and conceptual framework. The problem statement, the technique, the theoretical framework, and the philosophical underpinnings you want to utilise; and the viability of your study should all be discussed in detail.
- Your official academic transcript in its entirety;
- A notarized copy of your Master of Arts (MA) diploma or its foreign equivalent (or, if you have fulfilled the requirements for the degree but have not yet received the diploma, official documentation from the awarding institution stating that you will receive the diploma by February 2024);
- A notarized copy of your passport or South African identification card (for foreign students).
The Stellenbosch University 2023-2024 Faculty Of Arts And Social Sciences Residential Ph.D. Scholarships is opoen to all Internaitonall students.
If a student enrolls in one of the degree programs offered by SOAS University of London, they may be eligible to receive a fee waiver award in the amount of £5,000. This award is available to students who are interested in receiving a degree from SOAS University of London.
- If you have any questions regarding the scholarships, please contact Dr. Candice Steele at the [email protected] email address.
- You may get the application form for the scholarship here.
- PLEASE NOTE: In addition to submitting this scholarship application, you are also need to submit an application to study at Stellenbosch University. To submit your application to the university, please visit the webpage for Postgraduate Studies.
The application deadline for the Stellenbosch University 2023-2024 Faculty Of Arts And Social Sciences Residential Ph.D. Scholarships is August 1, 2023.