Applications are currently being accepted for the Graduate School of Economics and Management Sciences (GEM) at Stellenbosch University for the academic year 2023.
About the Scholarship:
The University of Stellenbosch (SU) has its origins in Africa while also maintaining a global presence. Over the course of the past century, it has developed into a South African institution of higher education with the mission of becoming a leading research-intensive university on the African continent, to be globally recognized as excellent, inclusive, and innovative, and to be a place where knowledge is advanced in service to society. It also has the vision of being a place where knowledge is advanced in service to society. SU is a research-intensive university that draws exceptional students, employs talented staff, and provides a world-class environment. It is a location connected to the globe, while simultaneously enhancing and reshaping communities on a local, continental, and global scale. The beliefs and attitudes that direct the actions taken by the University are summarized by its core values, which are excellence, compassion, equity, and accountability. Respect is another one of the University’s core values. All of these principles hold equal weight, are inextricably linked, and provide the foundation for SU’s ethics code.
SU was established on April 2, 1918, with four faculties (Arts, Science, Education, and Agriculture), 503 students, and 40 lecturing staff members. Today, SU is home to ten faculties that are spread across five campuses, and it has a vibrant and cosmopolitan community of more than 32 000 undergraduate and postgraduate students, including over 4 000 international students from 100 different countries. There are approximately 3,300 full-time employees at the university, in addition to 352 postdoctoral fellows.
In 2018, Stellenbosch University (SU) introduced its Vision 2040, in addition to a strategic framework that aims to cultivate a thriving Stellenbosch University, to provide a transformative student experience, to foster purposeful partnerships and inclusive networks, to promote networked and collaborative teaching and learning, to conduct research for impact, and to position SU as an employer of choice. With ten major faculties spread across five campuses and approximately fifty research and service divisions, Stellenbosch University is a place that offers a wide variety of educational opportunities. As a result, the university is recognized internationally as a leading center of relevant and innovative research on the African continent. The University has approximately 25000 students from South Africa and 3000 students from other countries, together with a faculty and staff of 939 individuals who come from a wide variety of cultural backgrounds and academic professions. The majority of classes and courses at this university are taught in either English or Afrikaans, despite the fact that it is traditionally an Afrikaans-speaking university. This allows the university to attract a wider variety of students from throughout Southern Africa and the rest of the world.
Since 2011, the “Research Alliance for Disaster Risk Reduction” (RADAR) has called the Department of Geography and Environmental Studies at Stellenbosch University its home. The unit serves as the secretariat and project manager for the Periperi U collaboration. In this capacity, it assists in the organization of the arrangements for meetings between partners and sends delegations from the partners to participate in international conferences and events.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Stellenbosch University
Scholarship Country: South Africa
Scholarship Worth: R138 000
Study Level: PhD
Nationality: International Students
- Prospective students have the opportunity to submit an application for full scholarships, which provide a minimum of R138 000 per year for a total of three years.
Eligibility for Scholarship.
- To be eligible for a scholarship, applicants must first satisfy the following minimal requirements:
- For a candidate to be considered for admission to a PhD program at Stellenbosch University, they must fulfill the minimum requirements. In order to do this, you need to have a master’s degree in the appropriate field or, in extraordinary cases, a certificate that is equivalent.
- Candidates are required to have earned a grade equivalent to at least 65 percent when enrolled in their master’s programs.
- All prospective participants must be younger than forty years old when the training begins in January.
- The Faculty will only take into consideration applications that fall within one of its Research Themes.
- Every student who satisfies the requirements listed below will be taken into consideration.
- The Graduate School chooses recipients for these scholarships after carefully weighing the qualifications of each individual application.
The Stellenbosch University 2023 GEM Scholarships for PhD Students (South Africa) is open to all International Students
At the University of Antwerp’s Department of Electronics in the Faculty of Applied Engineering, International Ph.D. students who are interested in Near-Sensor Neural Networks can apply for a scholarship. The scholarship is for the academic year of 2022-2023 and is meant to encourage outstanding international students to come to the university to get their Ph.D.
- To submit your application to the Graduate School for the class of 2023, please follow these steps:
- Please take the time to read the eligibility requirements that are listed above.
- Please ensure that you have downloaded and completed the GEM 2022-Application.docx application form.
- You will be required to write a letter justifying your suitability for the scholarship (maximum length: one page of A4 paper), in addition to a research concept note (no maximum length) on one or more selected research topics or problems that you intend to study during the course of your doctoral program. The length of the letter cannot exceed one page of A4 paper. These ought to be filled out on the application form in the parts that are pertinent to them.
- In order to assist you in making an informed decision regarding the subject of your investigation, we ask that you study the 2022 Research Themes. Research subjects that are not included in the stated research themes can only be accepted if they are compatible with the ongoing research themes that are being pursued in one of the academic departments that make up the Faculty.
- Please take note that the Faculty must be able to appoint an appropriate supervisor for the area of research that will be conducted in order for scholarships to be granted.
- Even after submitting an application, there is no guarantee of entrance. Scholarship opportunities are restricted, and those that do exist are awarded on the basis of competitive merit.
- The Graduate School maintains the discretion to not provide any scholarships at its discretion.
- Please make sure that your three references are aware that their referee reports, which state that you have the potential to successfully finish doctorate studies, should be given directly to the Graduate School by email ([email protected]) on or before the 1st of August 2022.
- Please send your completed application form to the following email address: [email protected]
- Send an email to [email protected] with any questions you may have regarding the application procedure.
- Please visit the website of Stellenbosch University for further information.
The application deadline for Stellenbosch University 2023 GEM Scholarships for PhD Students (South Africa) is August 1, 2022