The University of Antwerp at the Department of Electronics in the Faculty of Applied Engineering opens a scholarship opportunity for the International Ph.D. students for the Near-Sensor Neural Networks. The scholarship is intended for the academic year of 2022-2023 to motivate outstanding international students with educational awards to pursue their Ph.D. degrees at the university.
On the said project, the students will work closely and actively on the preparation of the defense through their thesis on the Near-Sensor Neural Networks with a hands-on device adaptation and learning skills development and capabilities, utilizing a lightweight online learning method.
About the Project
As the students will work closely and actively on the preparation of the thesis studies of the near-sensor Neutral Network, the following position will also be part of the project:
- The research process includes the analysis, design, and application of new machine learning algorithms. Optimized for low-power applications, including precision algorithm algorithms, performance, and hardware footprint. The research was validated by testing algorithms in simulations, real HW (microcontrollers or special HW accelerators), and particular application conditions.
- Closely collaborate with at IDLab working on a wide range of high-performance, ultra-low-power AIs.
- The students will also participate in national and European research projects and intervene at the technical level with research partners from the industry. You publish research articles related to your research.
- Limited work on teaching and research support within the Department of Electronics-
- ICT of the Faculty of Applied Engineering and the IDLab research team.
Scholarship Provider: University of Antwerp
About the Provider
The University of Antwerp is a strong and forward-looking European university. Offering a new program to over 20,000 students, pioneered scientific research, and played a vital role in community service. The university is one of the largest and most innovative global companies in the region. With more than 6,000 employees from 100 countries, helping to create a global future. With the best research, they push the boundaries and set the course for the future.
The University of Antwerp is a young, solid, and forward-looking school. It combines the tools of history with the aim of having a positive impact on humanity. The university provides access to and disseminates scientific knowledge through research, teaching, and educational services, and carries out these activities in accordance with the principles of academic independence and accountability.
The University of Antwerp supports a wide range of activities. In its spirit, it promotes academic and critical learning, reflection, and discussion of social, ethical, scientific, and philosophical methods. The University of Antwerp conducts innovative and collaborative research for global excellence. They support both basic and applied research and measurement.
As a multidisciplinary university, the University of Antwerp wants to be a place of support for all members, students, and staff. The traditional riches and challenges of Antwerp’s diversity are additional incentives for equality. They do this by raising awareness, teaching the rules of measurement, and working on specific tasks.
- Applicant’s Nationality: International
- Degree Level: Doctoral Degree
- Field: Engineering
- Academic Year: 2022-2023
- Duration: Two years
- Number of Awards: NA
- Scholarship Awards: Full-time scholarship
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
- Scholarship Country: Belgium
- Department: Department of Electronics ICT
- The students must be holding a master’s degree in (applied) engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, physics, or the equivalent while starting or holding a master’s degree.
- Must have good academic standings.
- Your academic potential is aligned with that of the University of Antwerp.
- Your research eligibility is consistent with teacher and school research policies.
- You do this with efficiency, fairness, creativity, and collaboration. Technological
- education is essential. Knowledge of Spiking and/or Binary Neural Networks is a plus.
- Must have an experience with TensorFlow or PyTorch. TinyML is an add-on.
- You have good programming skills (Python, C++, C). I have programming experience with embedded C tools. FPGA and HDL (Verilog, VHDL) experience is added.
- Knowledge of participation in national and/or international research projects is helpful.
- Must be a team player and have good communication skills.
- Good English Language in oral and written.
Before proceeding with the application process, the applicants must meet all the eligibility.
- You can apply for this position via the University of Antwerp online application until August 18, 2022 (until midnight Brussels time). You must click on the “Apply” button, and complete the online application.
The application requires submitting the following documents and must be attached to the application portal:
- Academic transcript of records
- Masters Degree Certificates
- Motivation Letter
The selection committee will review each application soon after the application deadline. Once the decision has been made, the University will inform you of the next selection steps. Please note that the interview will take place in September.
If you have any questions about applying online, you can directly be sent an email at [email protected]. If you have any questions about the job project, you may contact Philippe Reiter, Postdoctoral Fellow, [email protected].
The University of Antwerp will be providing a salary package to the successful international students for up to two years, the monthly scholarship value will be provided according to the scholarship total amount for the doctoral scholarship of the scholars and depending on the Contract Research Staff’s pay scales.
The scholarship will commence on October 15, 2022, the scholarship can be renewed after the two-year period only once. The successful students must be able to read and agree to the terms and conditions applied to the scholarship.
The pay scale of the University of Antwerp will be regulated by the statutory provisions and may vary depending on the student’s position. You can find out the list of the pay scale on the university’s official page for the Salary list.
The deadline to complete and submit the application is until August 18, 2022. Late and incomplete applications will not be considered.
The university encourages all applicants to submit the application as early as the deadline period.