The Organization of American States (OAS) is the oldest regional body in the world. Since 1958, it has had a regular academic scholarship program to facilitate mobility in the region.
Every year the OAS awards hundreds of scholarships organized in the following categories:
PRA: Regular Training Program
PAEC: Partnership Program for Education and Training
PBDP: Scholarship Program for Professional Development
SPECAF: Special Scholarship Program for the English-speaking Caribbean (only for English-speaking countries in the Caribbean)
The first two programs are intended for undergraduate/undergraduate and graduate academic courses. However, the second is intended for students to study at OAS partner institutions.
The third program is intended for short courses from one week to one year, seeking training in professional skills.
Finally, the OAS opens non-regular grants in alliance with other institutions or governments. Therefore it is recommended to periodically review the official page.
OAS Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
Applicants must meet a series of requirements when applying:
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of any of the OAS Member States
- Have a higher grade average than the general average
- Be in good physical and mental health that allows them to complete the study program
- Additionally, there may be other requirements depending on the type of scholarship to which you want to apply.
- The benefits vary according to the type of scholarship. The amounts and characteristics are defined by the General Secretariat in the various calls.
- All scholarships partially or totally cover the registration and enrollment costs in the program. Likewise, some scholarships cover the costs of transportation, medical insurance, and maintenance subsidy.
- However, it is recommended to carefully review the characteristics of the various scholarships before applying.
Application date for OAS scholarships for undergraduate/undergraduate, graduate, and short courses
These grants are opened at different times of the year and with different deadlines. Therefore it is recommended to constantly check the official website for more information.