The ASEAN-China Young Leaders Scholarship Program (ACYLS) was established in response to a plea by leaders in both the People’s Republic of China (PRC) and ASEAN Member States (AMS) for greater opportunities for interaction between their respective young populations. This was done to encourage a third pillar of ASEAN-China relations based on cultural ties between the peoples of the two countries.
To encourage and support the development of future leaders among the ASEAN community, the ASEAN Community Youth Leadership Scheme (ACYLS) was established. The ASEAN-China Cooperation Fund, which is being funded by the Chinese government, will provide the bulk of the funding for ACYLS (ACCF). If an AMS citizen wants to earn a Master’s or Doctorate degree, do short-term research, or take a training course in the People’s Republic of China, they can apply for financial aid through ACYLS.
About the Scholarship Sponsor:
Tsinghua University was established in 1911, and its current structure includes 16 schools and 56 departments that serve a wide range of academic disciplines, including science, engineering, humanities, law, medicine, history, philosophy, economics, management, education, and art. There are now about 4,000 instructors working for the university in some capacity. As one of the most prestigious educational and research institutions in the country, Tsinghua University is committed to the advancement of fundamental research, applied research, and scientific innovation. About 31,000 students attend Tsinghua University on a full-time basis, including 3,500 international students hailing from 112 different nations. The institution offers a total of 271 master’s degree programs, in addition to 65 bachelor’s degree programs, and 252 doctorate degree programs.
The campuses of Tsinghua University span an area of 392 hectares and have the capacity to house all students enrolled in full-time programs. On campus, students have access to a variety of amenities, including sports facilities, bookstores, banks, restaurants, post offices, and hospitals, which contribute to the overall convenience and ambiance of campus life. The university is home to a number of colleges and departments that provide courses and degrees in a wide variety of subjects, including but not limited to the following: science, engineering, literature, the arts, history, philosophy, economics, management, law, education, and medicine.
Tsinghua University provides students with access to more than 70 different undergraduate degree programs, in addition to a sizable number of graduate and postgraduate degree options. Within the confines of the university are over 300 separate research institutions. Research facilities of the university include, among others: the Tsinghua National Laboratory for Information Science and Technology; the State Key Laboratory of Precision Measuring Technology and Instruments; and the National Engineering Laboratory for Digital Television. Students at Tsinghua University have the opportunity to participate in over two hundred different student organizations, such as the Zijing Volunteer Service and the Students’ Performing Arts Club. The Zijing Apartments (), which can be found to the north of Tsinghua University, are the most contemporary and largest student dormitory in China. They have a capacity of 22,400 students. Zijing is comprised of a total of 26 blocks and 23 buildings, with the height of these structures varying from 7 to 15 stories. The overall construction site is 350,000 square meters in size (3,800,000 sq ft). The costs of the apartments are presented in the following table. The Zijin Building 19 reception desk is where new students should submit their applications.
Every year, the Tsinghua International Students & Scholars’ Gala Night turns the campus of Tsinghua University into a pulsating and exciting celebration of the Tsinghua spirit, as well as the cultural richness and skill of the university’s international students and scholars. There are approximately 110 student organizations at Tsinghua University. These organizations fall into one of the following five categories: science and technology, physical education, humanities, arts, and public welfare. A few examples of such organizations include the Students’ Performing Arts Club, the Zijing Volunteer Service, the Students’ Association of Science and Technology, the Photography Association, the Foreign Languages Association, the Association of Student International Communication (ASIC), and many others. Tsinghua University is home to tens of thousands of students from other countries. Students are strongly encouraged to get involved in a wide variety of extracurricular activities and to join student organizations at their respective universities.
The International Students Office is responsible for organizing extracurricular activities for international students. Some examples of these activities include a party to welcome new students, a party to celebrate the new year, a graduation celebration, tourist tours to cultural and historical sites in China, sports competitions, and other similar events. The importance of athletics at Tsinghua University cannot be overstated. The women’s basketball team from Tsinghua University is the current women’s global champion. In order for students to graduate from Tsinghua University, they are required to complete and pass a swimming test. Tsinghua University is located in close proximity to Wudaokou, which serves as the epicenter of Beijing’s student district and is home to an abundance of restaurants and bars that cater to a diverse range of cultures.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Tsinghua University
Scholarship Country: China
Scholarship Worth: Fully Funded
Scholarship Type: PhD
Nationality: International Students
- Students who have registered for the scholarship will be eligible to receive a stipend from the university that is hosting them on a monthly basis while the scholarship is active. If a student registers for the course on or before the 15th of the month, they will be eligible for the full monthly stipend. Those who sign up after the 15th of the month will only receive a portion of the monthly stipend for that month. Following the date of graduation, graduating students will continue to receive their stipend for an additional half a month. If a registered student leaves China for more than 15 days due to personal reasons (exceptions are made for school holidays), the student’s stipend will be suspended throughout the period of time that they are outside of China.
- Students pursuing a Master’s degree will pay 4,000 RMB each month
- 5,000 RMB is the monthly stipend for doctoral students.
- 5,000 RMB is the monthly stipend for research scholars.
- Host universities have the option of requesting that their students have an RMB bank account in China in order to be eligible for the stipend. Students who are currently enrolled are strongly encouraged to get in touch with their respective host universities for further information.
- One-time Settlement Cost Upon completing their registration at the host university, ACYLS grantees will be given the one-time settlement fee that has been set aside for them. Students pursuing master’s degrees, doctoral degrees, and research scholars are eligible to receive it. The norm is 3,000 RMB (or its equivalent) per individual, and it will be issued in Chinese currency.
- International Round-trip Air Fare: The fund will be utilized by the China Scholarship Council and the host universities to support round trip air prices for ACYLS recipients traveling from their home country to the city of the host university. These fares will only be provided in Economy Class. In Chapter VI of this paper, the specifics about the utilization of the fund as well as the reimbursement of aircraft tickets are outlined.
- Tuition: The ACYLS initiative will pay the cost of tuition in its whole, and the money will be given directly to the universities that are hosting the students.
Eligibility for Scholarship
The following are some of the requirements that applicants for ACYLS need to fulfill:
- Be a citizen of one of the countries that make up the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, or Viet Nam);
- To be in excellent mental and physical health;
- Be able to communicate effectively in English (must have a score of at least 6.0 on the International English Language Testing System or at least 80 points on the Test of English as a Foreign Language);
- Be the owner of a bachelor’s degree and be younger than 45 years old if you are applying for a master’s degree;
- . Be the owner of a graduate or master’s degree and be less than 45 years old if you are seeking for a PhD degree;
- Be the owner of a degree from an accredited college or university if you wish to apply for the short-term research program;
- Having a minimum of one year of work experience within government agencies, public or private organizations, colleges, think-tanks, or other similar social agencies, and having experience in at least one of the following is preferred but not required:
- work associated with international and foreign affairs, particularly ASEAN and China-ASEAN affairs;
- work or study in the People’s Republic of China;
- scholarly research on China or ASEAN-related political and economic issues;
- . Not be a recipient of a scholarship from the Chinese government at the same time;
- The candidate satisfies any additional prerequisites for enrollment specified by the Chinese universities to which they have applied.
- Applicants are required to supply documents that are genuine and current in accordance with the aforementioned requests, as well as upload clear scanned copies via CGSIS. If you do not satisfy the requirements, it will have a negative impact on the results of the scholarship.
- The candidates are expected to adhere to the requirements that have been established before submitting their applications to the ACYLS national focal points and the AUN Secretariat.
Undergraduates at Leeds University in the United Kingdom can apply for a scholarship for the 2023–2024 school year. In an effort to inspire all students to continue their study, the University of Leeds is looking for exceptional students who can participate in research across the Mathematics department and are inspired to pursue higher education.
The Tsinghua University 2022 ASEAN-China Young Leaders Scholarship is open to all International Students
- Step 1: Fill out the online application by going to the Chinese Government Scholarship Information System (CGSIS) (to log in, visit http://www.campuschina.org and click the link that says “Scholarship Application for Students”). Each applicant is required to submit the application online, which includes filling out the application information and attaching all essential supporting papers.
- Step 2: Gather all of the required application materials, organize them according to the “List of Application Documents,” and then submit them through the website’s application portal together with the rest of your materials. In addition, provide hard copies of the application form and any applicable papers to the ACYLS national focal points and the AUN Secretariat before the deadline, as specified in the requirements. The ASEAN Member States’ ACYLS national focal points and the AUN Secretariat will then assess the qualifications of all applications and send the list of recommended recipients to the Joint Committee of the ACYLS. The Joint Committee of the ACYLS will decide the final recommendation list.
- Step 3: The applications that have been suggested by the Joint Committee will be the only ones that the Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC) will process. Applicants who are not included on the list will be disregarded and not considered. The CSC retains the right to make any necessary modifications to the universities that will host the candidates.
The application deadline for Tsinghua University 2022 ASEAN-China Young Leaders Scholarship is March 31, 2023