Scholarships for postgraduate study in applied mathematics, statistics, electrical and electronic engineering, and computer science will be offered by Stellenbosch University. This development is predicted to have a substantial impact on the domains of artificial intelligence and machine learning (SU).
For the first time, SU has been given these scholarships by DeepMind, a world-leader in artificial intelligence research and its practical implementation. London is where DeepMind is based. As part of a bigger effort by DeepMind to increase the number of people who participate in science and support the wider research community, particularly those in Africa, the DeepMind Scholarships were established in 2010. Annually, DeepMind Scholarships are given to deserving students who have shown a strong interest in artificial intelligence research.
There is an MSc in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence at Stellenbosch University. This one-year program is designed for students with a good background in mathematics and computation. Machine learning and artificial intelligence are taught in this course, along with a number of cutting-edge approaches and concepts that are currently being researched. All students in sub-Saharan Africa who are interested in performing research in the field of machine learning are eligible to apply. University grantees can begin their studies in 2022 when the university selects them. In order to help students from underrepresented groups in machine learning, like women, get the financing they need to attend prominent universities, DeepMind has launched a scholarship program. DeepMind mentors are on hand to offer aid and guidance to the winners who have won the competition.
About the Scholarship:
Stellenbosch University (SU) has its roots in Africa, but also maintains a global reach. To become an African continent leader in research-intensive universities, to be worldwide regarded as great, inclusive, and innovative, and to be a location where knowledge advances for the benefit of society during the course of the last century has been the purpose of the University of Cape Town. It aspires to be a hub for the advancement of knowledge for the benefit of society. SU is a research-intensive institution that attracts top students, hires the best faculty, and provides a first-rate setting for learning. As a global hub, it simultaneously enhances and reshapes communities at the local, continental, and global levels. This is a unique site. The University’s basic principles are quality, compassion, equity, and responsibility, and they guide the decisions it makes. A third tenet of the University’s mission is to foster mutual respect and understanding. Principles one through three are all equally important and are intertwined in SU’s ethics code.
On April 2, 1918, SU was founded with 503 students, 40 faculty members, and four faculties (arts, science, education, and agriculture). More than 32, 000 undergraduate and postgraduate students, including more than 4, 000 international students from over 100 countries, are enrolled at SU, which has ten faculties distributed across five campuses. About 3,300 full-time staff and 352 postdoctoral fellows are employed by the university.
With the introduction of its Vision 2040 and a strategic framework in 2018, Stellenbosch University (SU) hopes to foster a flourishing Stellenbosch University, provide an impactful student experience, foster meaningful partnerships and inclusive networks, promote networked and collaborative teaching and learning, conduct research with a positive social impact, and position SU as an employer of choice. Stellenbosch University offers a wide range of educational options with its ten major faculties distributed across five sites and around fifty research and service divisions. As a result, the university has been hailed as a global leader in relevant and cutting-edge research on Africa. There are around 25 000 South African students and 3 000 international students at the university, as well as 939 members of the faculty and staff who represent a diverse range of cultural backgrounds and academic specialties. Despite the fact that this is primarily an Afrikaans-speaking university, the bulk of classes and courses are taught in either English or Afrikaans. As a result, students from all around Southern Africa and beyond can now attend the university.
Stellenbosch University’s Department of Geography and Environmental Studies has been home to the “Research Alliance for Disaster Risk Reduction (RADAR)” since 2011. The Periperi U collaboration’s secretariat and project manager are housed in this organization. When it comes to organizing meetings between partners and sending delegations to international conferences, it acts as a liaison.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Stellenbosch University
Scholarship Country: South Africa
Scholarship Worth: Fully Funded
Study Level: Postgraduate
Nationality: International Students
- The scholarships provide funding for tuition at the recipient’s university of choice, medical insurance, housing, and other living expenses, as well as the opportunity to attend international conferences.
- The recipients will also have the opportunity to receive guidance from DeepMind researchers.
Eligibility for Scholarship.
- Anyone from Africa is eligible to apply for a scholarship. Applicants who come from groups on the continent as a whole that are underrepresented in the landscape of machine learning on a global scale will be given preference. Applicants who have been shortlisted may be invited to participate in online interviews.
- The scholarships will be awarded on the condition that the recipient has been formally accepted into full-time postgraduate study at Stellenbosch University and has proposed a research subject that focuses on machine learning that has been approved by the scholarship committee
The Stellenbosch University 2022 DeepMind Postgraduate Scholarships for African Students is open to all International Students
Joseph Breen Memorial Fellowship: The ACS Green Chemistry Institute in the United States is looking for outstanding local and international students for the 2022-2023 school year
- Visit the applicant portal on SUNStudent, where you will need to first create a profile if you don’t already have one before you can log in.
- Simply pick “Program selection” from the menu.
- The faculty is known as the “Stellenbosch Faculty of Science.”
- “Postgraduate” is the type of program.
- Full-time or part-time study options are available for the “MSc (Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence)” programme.
- Use the choices on the left panel to gather the necessary information and enter it into the appropriate fields.
- You will be prompted for the following under the heading “Upload documents:”
- a detailed curriculum vitae and a statement of intent
- a declaration of the scientific interests being pursued
- This letter of motivation can be as short as one page and should address why you want to finish this program, what you intend to receive out of it, and what you might want to do after the program has been completed. A brief letter on any specific interests you currently have within the domains of machine learning and artificial intelligence might serve as the declaration of research interest. This letter should not be more than one page.
- You should be aware that you are not required to find an academic supervisor. After the beginning of the program, those students who have been accepted will have the option to discuss potential research projects with potential supervisors and indicate their choices.
- You should send in your application if you are satisfied with the terms. It is important to take note that there is a R100 application cost for South African applicants (no fee for international applicants or current SU students).
- Click on this link to access the section of Stellenbosch University’s website dedicated to potential postgraduate students. This section provides general information on the online application process, study fees, support services, and more.
The application deadline for Stellenbosch University 2022 DeepMind Postgraduate Scholarships for African Students is August 31, 2022