The ACS Green Chemistry Institute in the United States offers the Joseph Breen Memorial Fellowship and searching for outstanding and high-potential local and international students for the academic year of 2022-2023.
The scholarship is being offered annually to help the students through financial assistance to overcome their financial barriers and further their higher education journey and fulfill their personal and professional achievements.
The Joseph Breen Memorial Fellowship
ACS was founded in 2000 by the ACS International Endowment Fund. Established by the Joseph Breen Memorial Fund. Dr. Joe Breen was the first director of the Green Chemistry Institute (before the institute became part of the ACS) and played a key role in founding the Green Chemical movement. This money was dedicated to the development of green chemistry by Dr. Celebrating Joe Breen’s dedication and accomplishments.
Joe Breen was born on July 22 in Waterbury, Connecticut. 1942. Graduated from Fairfield University in 1964 and received his Ph.D. in Chemistry from Duke University in 1972. Dedicated and devoted to civilian service during the Vietnam War including Marine Corps, Peace Corps 2 years, and 20 years in the US Environmental Protection Agency.
Joe works as a chemist and administrator for the US EPA, It teaches important leadership skills in many large organizations’ programs. Joe played an important role in the development of the design. Environmental and green chemistry programs require the strategic use of voluntary programs to reduce risk and protect human health and the environment accordingly, effective in addition to traditional rules and regulations. Joe Breen was a supporter of young generations it was his greatest passion to turn the younger generations to science, he has spent over his 15 years to promote actively science education.
Joe has always been a selfless supporter of his colleagues, and friends and usually pushes them forward while operating behind the scenes. He gets more satisfaction from seeing others around him succeeding than from his own personal accomplishments. As a result, Joe has left a legacy of international knowledge and inspired a group of committed followers to continue the work he started. His memory lives on in the Green Chemistry Award that bears his name the Joseph Breen Memorial Fellowships.
Scholarship Provider: ACS Green Chemistry Institute
About the Provider
ACS Green Chemistry Institute was founded in the year 1876 and was endorsed by the US Congress, they are one of the largest research organizations in the world, with more than 151,000 members in 140 countries. The institute’s goal is to improve many aspects of pharmaceutical companies and physicians for the benefit of the world and people. Their vision is to improve people’s lives by changing the power of chemistry.
The institute provides education, information, career and professional developments, and services to engage in the programs that help the3 members and the scientists to strive in a changing global economy.
The institute also provides teaching support and learning for students of all ages through the institute’s scholarships and grants which encourage them to invest in STEM Science, technology, Engineering and Math, and Research Innovations.
- Academic Year: 2022-2023
- Applicant’s Nationality: Local and International
- Degree Level: Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Ph.D. degree
- Field: Chemistry
- Number of Awards: NA
- Scholarship Award: $2,000
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
- Scholarship Country: United States
- Duration: NA
- A “young” international scientist is defined as an undergraduate or graduate or above but not a professional and within the first seven years of experience.
- Applicants in the United States and abroad are eligible for this award.
- The trip should be a lecture, lecture, or workshop on green medicine. Students should consider attending lectures on green chemistry and engineering. The scholarship funds cannot be used to attend the ACS Green Chemistry and Sustainable Energy Summer School.
- Applicants must demonstrate research or academic interest in green chemistry. Green chemistry for this purpose is defined as “the discovery and development of chemical products and processes that reduce or eliminate the use and production of hazardous substances”.
- Fellows are also required to make a presentation or presentation at a conference of their interest and submit a report of their experience to ACS GCI in order to receive reimbursement.
The application form can be accessed in an online portal provided by the ACS. The application is required to be submitted in a single PDF File attached and with no longer than 8½-by-11-inch pages and must be written in no 11-point fonts with margins.
- Cover page- this must be no more than 1 page which also includes the name of the applicants, department, institution, and course, applicants advisors, and contact information, budget for travel expenses must be up to $2,000
- The essay must be no longer than 1 page, the applicants must submit an essay that includes their interest in green chemistry and their experience, and how the applicants can have the benefits if selected for the scholarship.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume no more than 2 pages which also includes the name of the applicants, department, and faculty advisor information.
- Field of study or degree level
- List of Publications or recent presentations
- Letter of recommendation from the advisors or supervisor.
- Applicant’s full information
The scholarship committee will evaluate all the submitted application forms and the successful students will be notified of the award on or before December 18, 2022.
The amount of the fellowship award will be calculated based on the estimated travel cost, accommodation, and associated fees in the event amounting to up to $2,000. If there will be two fellowship awards this academic year, one award will be given to the undergraduate students and one to the graduate student.
Deadline of Application
The deadline to complete and submit the application is until October 9, 2022