Calling all international students who wish to pursue their education in France for the Ph.D. A degree in Social Science and Humanities for the academic year of 2022-2023, is an opportunity to enhance and explore your higher education with the help of the FIAS Fellowship Program offered by the French Institutes for Advanced Study.
The French Institute for Advanced Study Fellowship Program welcomes all applications for the international students who will be commencing their Ph.D. degrees in France.
FIAS Fellowship Program
The French Institute for Advanced Study is an international mobility scholarship program offering high-level scientific residency at six IASs in Aix-Marseille, Lyon, Nantes, Loire Valley, Montpellier, and Paris. The FIAS Program supports high-quality and innovative research while conducting their research with maximum independence and benefit from strong scientific and non-academic support from the institutes.
Launched in 2020, the FIAS Fellowship program will run from the academic year 2024-to 2025. For the academic year 2023-2024, there will be 37 10-month scholarships for experienced researchers from all fields of social sciences and humanities.
The FIAS Fellowship Program is committed to ensuring more equal and valuable opportunities and working on a greater diversity within its academic community.
Scholarship Provider: French Institute for Advanced Study
About the Provider
The French Institute for Advanced Studies scholarship program strengthens scholarships and involvement in the social sciences and humanities (SSH) and the interface between the SSH and other sciences.
It expands and strengthens French scientific residencies offered by internationally experienced researchers. It gives scientists from all over the world the opportunity to spend an academic year in one of France’s six most recent scientific fields.
FIAS supports individual research: colleagues, exempt from educational and academic duties, performing part-time positions in the most freedom positions, with strong scientific and non-academic support at the Institutes for Advanced Study (IAS). This experience is designed to provide every student with material and intellectual conditions that can significantly advance their professional careers, as they can achieve in a short time what can be done in many years in a fraction of an hour.
FIAS promotes intellectual exchange: fellows are exposed to the collective compassionate intelligence of international and multidisciplinary peer groups and move their work to a higher and transdisciplinary level.
- Academic Year: 2022-2023
- Applicant’s Nationality: International
- Degree Level: PhD
- Field: Social Science and humanities
- Duration: 10 months
- Number of Awards: 37
- Scholarship Value: Living Stipend, Insurance, travel expenses, and research and training fees
- Scholarship Country: France
- Renewable: No
- Offered Annually: Yes
Before proceeding with the application process students are required to check their eligibility for the fellowship.
- All Ph.D. researchers from all around the world are eligible to apply for the fellowship.
- Must be in the Social Science and humanities discipline.
- The scholarship is to renowned researchers at all career levels, from postdoctoral researchers to senior researchers.
- Students must have Ph.D. plus 2 years of research experience at the time of application.
- Exceptions will be granted for scholars with a master’s degree + 6 years of full research experience after graduation (doctoral education is not taken into account when calculating the internship).
- Must have good communication skills in English.
Applicants are required to provide complete application forms and all required documents through the online application platform. Incomplete and late applications will not be considered eligible. Requirements that do not meet the maximum length standard will not be considered.
The application requirements must be in the English language, all applications submitted in other languages will not be considered.
In order to start the application, the applicants must create an account on the provided portal by the French Institute for Advanced Study, all applications process will be evaluated online. Once created an account online, the students may be able to proceed with the application process.
As part of the application process, the student is required to submit the following documents keep in mind that all documents must be in the English Language.
- Completed application form
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae must include a list of publications.
- Research Proposal must be a maximum of 5 pages, bibliography, and one additional page.
- Three to five publications
- Two letters of recommendations
- Copy of Ph.D. or Master’s degree certificates/diploma in pdf form, this must be in an English language. If the certificate of diploma is in another language, applicants are required to request for official translation in English.
- Letter of support or interest
The submitted publications must be able to comply, Publications that do not meet any of these guidelines will not take into account, citations and a clear bibliographic reference to each document, the maximum length of the attached publication for 60 pages, an abstract written in English must be included at the beginning of the publication if the publications are in a language other than English.
The recommendation letter must be submitted along with the application form online.
Selection and Evaluation
The selection process is competitive and based on the academic excellence of the applicants. Selections are conducted by international independent peer reviewers.
The candidates will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- 40% on scientific excellence
- 60% Research proposal quality
- Living Allowance €2,700 monthly
- Social security coverage
- Research and training fees
- Travel expenses
The deadline to complete and submit the application is until June 2, 2022.