Science, technology, and innovation are crucial forces behind the evolution of our society into a more digital and global one. In spite of this, the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) reports that women make up less than thirty percent of professionals working in STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics). Eswatini is not an exception to the rule that in tertiary institutions around the world, the proportion of female students to male students majoring in STEM fields is roughly equal to that of the global average. Due to the fact that this imbalance will continue into the 21st century, it is absolutely necessary for there to be diversity, equity, and inclusion of women in STEM.
In order to achieve this goal, the Eswatini Communications Commission (ESCCOM) has launched a “Girls in ICT” Development Program. This program is geared toward young women who have an interest in pursuing a career that is related to Information, Communications, and Technology (ICT). The purpose of this scholarship is to encourage young women and girls (between the ages of 17 and 24) to pursue careers in the STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) fields, with a particular emphasis on information and communications technology (ICT). The program will make it possible for young women who do not have the financial wherewithal to pursue jobs in the information and communications technology field.
About the Scholarship Provider:
The Eswatini Communications Commission (ESCCOM) is the regulatory body responsible for regulating the communications sector in Eswatini. This sector consists of telecommunication services and networks, broadcasting services, postal services, and the use and allocation of radio spectrum. ESCCOM is responsible for regulating all of these aspects of the sector. The Swaziland Communications Commission Act no. 10 of 2013 provides the legal basis for the organization’s mandate.
On the 31st of July 2013, the Commission began its operations, at which point it took over all of the regulatory authorities of the sector from the Eswatini Posts and Telecommunications Corporation (EPTC) and the Eswatini Television Authority (Eswatini TV).
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Eswatini Communications Commission (ESCCOM)
Scholarship Country: Eswatini
Scholarship Worth: Fully Funded
Study Level: Training
Nationality: International Students
The following will make up the sponsorship:
- Tuition that is completely paid for
- Fees for getting there and back, which are due all at once annually
- Costs associated with obtaining a Study Permit, if relevant
- Assistance with medical care, if necessary
- Required reading materials
- a personal living allowance (stipend) paid on a monthly basis to cover expenses related to housing and daily life
- The recipient of the scholarship will be expected to take part in two (2) annual initiatives supported by ESCCOM. These efforts include, but are not limited to, the international ‘Girls in ICT’ Commemoration and Cybersecurity Awareness Campaigns.
Eligibility for Scholarship.
- The concept of individual merit will serve as the basis for the selection criteria for possible candidates. Students who satisfy the following criteria are eligible to submit an application for the Sponsorship:
- Citizen of the Kingdom of Eswatini
- At least seventeen (17) years old and no older than twenty-four (24) years old (24)
- The candidate must have received credit for subjects that are relevant to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
- A letter of acceptance to an undergraduate program in information and communications technology from an institution of higher education in South Africa or locally approved.
- You have to have a good reputation, put forth a lot of effort, and have exceptional academic results.
- Participation in extracurricular activities outside of the classroom, such as athletics or community work, is viewed favorably.
The ESCCOM 2023 Girls In ICT Scholarship For Emaswati is open to all International Students
If you are a first-year student at the University of London and you are paying the home fee, you should apply for the Full-time Undergraduate Bursary for the 2022-2023 school year. The purpose of the scholarship is to help incoming freshmen who have shown strong ambition for higher education and a desire to make a positive impact in their communities on their way to achieving their own personal and professional objectives.
- It is required that young women who are eligible send the following application materials to [email protected] by 17:00 on Monday, the 16th of January 2023;
- A letter of motivation consisting of two pages, outlining educational and professional objectives, as well as accomplishments
- Results and Conclusions Statement
- A letter of conditional or unconditional acceptance from an institution of higher education that has been granted accreditation
- All submissions of applications must be submitted to;
Director of Support Services in Acting Capacity
Commission of Communications of the Kingdom of Swaziland
The Sibekelo Building, on the 4th Floor, North Wing
For any queries, call ESCCOM at 24067000.
The application deadline for ESCCOM 2023 Girls In ICT Scholarship For Emaswati is January 16, 2023.