Applications for visiting fellows are encouraged to be submitted to the Africa Platform of the Ghent University Association (GAP). The Ghent African Platform (GAP), which is one of Ghent University’s five regional platforms, enables and promotes academic collaboration between the Ghent University Association and academic institutions in Africa. Each year, the Africa Platform plays home to a total of five visiting research fellows. Recipients of this award will be required to spend at least two weeks studying at Ghent University or one of the affiliated University Colleges.
About the Scholarship:
Ghent University is widely regarded as one of the most prestigious educational and research institutions located in the Low Countries. The University of Ghent is characterized by its openness, commitment, and pluralism, and it maintains a broad international perspective. Ghent University is an active partner in national and international educational, scientific, and industrial cooperation. It is located in Flanders, which is the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium and the cultural and economic heart of Europe. There are over 79 faculty departments at Ghent University, which are organized into eleven faculties. These departments each offer high-quality courses in their respective scientific fields, each of which is inspired by innovative research.
Ghent University encourages international students to apply for degrees, to participate in exchange programs, and to pursue doctoral degrees. An exchange student is a student who travels to another country to take classes while also living there temporarily. The UGent exchange program has a minimum duration of one month and a maximum duration of twelve months. The University of Ghent will not issue a diploma to the exchange student. UGent is one of the most important research universities in Belgium, boasting a total enrollment of 36,000 students and a staff of 9,000. Its 11 faculties provide a comprehensive academic portfolio, including courses in every scientific field, and its annual investment in research is approximately 180 million pounds sterling on average.
UGent takes great pride in being ranked among the top universities in the world and having a reputation that extends around the world, allowing it to attract students and faculty members with exceptional abilities. It has collaborated with a number of individuals who have gone on to win the Nobel Prize, including Joseph Guislain, Walter Fiers, Marc Van Montagu, and Peter Piot. While some of its former students have gone on to achieve notoriety, such as astronaut Dirk Frimout and Robert Cailliau, who were both involved in the development of the internet alongside Tim Berners-Lee.
The primary campus of the university can be found in close proximity to the heart of the city. Additionally, it has a campus by the water in Ostend that is home to the GreenBridge incubation and innovation center. This center offers facilities for start-up technology companies and conducts research on the viability of seas and oceans. UGent was also the first university in Europe to be accepted as part of the Songdo Global University Campus (SGUC) in Incheon, South Korea. At SGUC, UGent is one of ten universities that together share a campus and offers three bachelor’s degree programs to students from all over the world. These programs are in molecular biotechnology, environmental technology, and food technology.
Students who choose to make Ghent their home may anticipate being encircled by the city’s stunning architecture, one-of-a-kind public art, and an abundance of bars, clubs, and restaurants. Ghent is well connected to the rest of Belgium and the rest of Europe by train, and the city as a whole has solid transportation connections. Students in Ghent choose to travel by bicycle more than any other mode of transportation because much of the city can be explored on two wheels.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Ghent University
Scholarship Country: Belgium
Scholarship Worth: €1000
Study Level: Fellowship
Nationality: International Students
The fellowships are awarded in the form of a grant of one thousand Euros and one round-trip plane ticket for a minimum stay of two weeks. The grant is intended to cover (or contribute towards covering) the costs of travel, housing, and living expenses. This indicates that in many instances, further cash will be required to be provided. As visiting scholars at Ghent University, the academics will be provided with an office space as well as access to the university’s other facilities, including the library.
Eligibility for Scholarship.
Researchers (junior or senior lecturers and professors) who are linked with an African higher education or research institution are encouraged to apply for scholarships made available by the Africa Platform.
The Ghent University 2022 Short Stay Research Fellowships is open to all International Students
The Master’s EU Students Scholarship is offered by the Department of International Developments at Maynooth University in Ireland. It is meant to encourage the best international and EU students to apply for the academic year 2022-2023.
The following sections are included in the application form, which you can submit in either English or French:
- a description of the person
- a statement outlining your goals for your time in Ghent, including the dates of your visit, the research group with which you’d want to work, and the ways in which your home university’s research would benefit from your participation; provide a current transcript, publication, research paper/article, and/or other recent documentation of your education and research accomplishments.
- A research plan (containing study aims, methodology, and equipment, as well as a work plan for the anticipated visit and prospective plans for long-term collaboration, etc.) and a work plan for the anticipated visit
- a spending plan;
- (optional) a list of the three publications that have had the most impact on you.
- In addition to the signature of Ghent University’s promotor, you must sign this document. Ghent University promoters should be engaged with prospective students long before they submit an application. Using the online research directory, you can locate a supporter of your project if you don’t already have any ties to Ghent University. The Ghent University promotor will also require you to provide a brief statement of motivation.
- Applicants are required to submit a two-page CV as part of the application process.
- Annelies.Verdoolaege@UGent.be must receive the application by the 1st of October 2022 at the earliest, in a single PDF file Incomplete or late entries will be disregarded. Each person is only eligible for one award.
The application deadline for Ghent University 2022 Short Stay Research Fellowships is 1 October 2022.