Zonta International and the members work at the international, national and local levels to realize the vision of a world in which women’s rights are recognized as human rights and every woman is able to achieve her full potential, where women have access to all resources and are represented in decision-making positions on an equal basis with men, and where no woman lives in fear of violence.
Zonta International envisions a world in which women’s rights are recognized as human rights and every woman is able to achieve her full potential.
In such a world, women have access to all resources and are represented in decision making positions on an equal basis with men.
In such a world, no woman lives in fear of violence.
Women have made great strides in the pursuit of education, careers and leadership roles they were once denied. However, they still comprise a minority of leaders in the business world.
As of December 2020, 21.2% of S&P 500 companies’ board seats are occupied by women, and just 6% of the companies’ CEOs are women.
Because Zonta International believes in gender equality, the Jane M. Klausman (JMK) Women in Business Scholarship program helps women pursue undergraduate and master’s degrees in business management and overcome gender barriers from the classroom to the boardroom.
The Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarship program was established in 1998 from a generous bequest by Jane M. Klausman, a member of the Zonta Club of Syracuse, New York, USA, and the 1990-1995 Zonta International Parliamentarian.
The program operates at the Zonta club, district/region and international levels. Zonta annually awards up to 32 scholarships of US$2,000 each at the district/region level.
Then the amount of six international scholarships in the amount of US$8,000 each.
Since the program’s inception, Zonta has awarded 640 scholarships, totaling more than US$1.5 million, to 492 women representing 58 countries.
Women of any age, pursuing a business program with major field of specialization in:
- Business management
- Operations management
- Human resources management
- International business
- Attending an accredited university
- Attending an accredited college
- Attending an accredited institute, who demonstrate outstanding potential in the field and are living or studying in a Zonta district/region, are eligible.
- Online students are also eligible to apply if enrolled at an accredited university/college/institute.
- Students must be enrolled in at least the second year of an undergraduate program through the final year of a Master’s program at the time the application is submitted to the local Zonta club.
- Applicants must be in school at the time the scholarship funds are disbursed and must not graduate before December.
- Previous International Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarship recipients may not apply to renew the Scholarship for a second year.
Classified members (club members and individuals with direct membership with Zonta International) and employees of Zonta International and Zonta Foundation for Women, and their family members (ancestors, descendants, adoptees, siblings, nieces or cousins, and those of their spouse or co-habiting partner), are not eligible to apply for the Scholarship.
Golden Z club members may apply.
Applicants from geographic areas within a Zonta district/region where no clubs are located will be considered and are eligible to apply for the district/region and international awards.
How to Apply
The link provided is the 2021 scholarship application that will be used for the 2022 open window scholarship submissions.
- Recipients must be members of the Zonta club.
- With scholarships worth US$2,000 at district/region level.
- US$8,000 at international level.
The deadline to apply for the 2022 scholarship varies by club, but is typically between April and June.
Contact the local state club for the deadline.
Districts must receive club applications by August 15, unless otherwise determined.
This is an annual scholarship that occurs each August.
Zonta International’s story is woven from a rich fabric of empowerment and progressive change.
Today, Zonta International is a global organization of more than 27,000 women and men in 1,133 Zonta clubs in 63 countries. In 2019, celebrating the 100th anniversary and the milestones that made this organization incredible today.