Established in 1957, the award helps to support authors and “to foster uniquely Australian literature,” and has begun sporting a logo that might bring Mary Poppins to mind.
This scholarship award is only for future authors of a novel or play that shows the highest literary merit. The only way to apply is in the year after the book has been finished, which depicts Australian life in any of its phases or chapters. The Miles Franklin Literacy Scholarship Award will award 12 titles or books per 12 individuals.
Eligibility & Requirements
- Applicants must have written a novel or play to send in.
- Anyone from around the world that chooses to be an applicant can apply, only condition that should be known is that Australia itself should be presented in the published work somewhere to be considered a winner.
How to Apply
- Applicants have to send in their books, that depict Australian life to some extent.
- Publishers are required to submit novels on behalf of an author.
- All works must be in English.
- Works written by two or more authors are eligible for entry.
- Biographies, collections of short stories, children’s books and poetry are not eligible for this award.
- Judges will not consider any text which has only had internet publication.
The reward is $60,000 which acts as a start for authors to begin a second novel or pay towards publishing more work.
Deadline & Annual
The entry fee is AUD $75.00 for each work submitted by October 23, 2021 and AUD $90.00 for entries submitted after October 24, 2020 and before the closure deadline on December 1, 2021.
While the 2021 winner has been picked, the winner that submits on October 23, 2021 will be considered the winner for 2022. This is an annual award that can go towards full tuition coverage.