An exceptional journalist at the beginning of his or her career stands to benefit immensely from the Fellowship, which offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity in the form of a six-to-nine-month position as a Fellow at Durham University. As part of this Fellowship, the recipient will work on an investigative project from within the Reuters newsroom in London, where they will be supervised by Durham University and have access to University academics and research resources. The applicant will have the opportunity to improve abilities in rigorous fact-based research and reporting through the fellowship, which is designed to do just that.
In recognition of Sir Harry Evans, one of the individuals credited with laying the groundwork for contemporary investigative journalism, the Fellowship was established. The award-winning work that he spearheaded as editor of The Northern Echo, The Sunday Times, and The Times – from his celebrated campaign to obtain compensation for Thalidomide children, to exposing the cover-up of Soviet spy Kim Philby, and unmasking corporate deception at the heart of the DC-10 Paris air crash in 1974 – made him the gold standard of courageous public interest journalism. His work included obtaining compensation for Thalidomide children, exposing the cover-up of Soviet spy Kim Philby, and His colleagues in the media hailed him as the “Greatest British Newspaper Editor of all Time,” and they voted him the winner.
About the Scholarship:
Institution of Durham is a public research university that can be found in Durham, which is located in the north-east of England. It was initially created in 1832 under an Act of Parliament, and then in 1837 it was formally incorporated through a Royal Charter. The Russell Group is comprised of some of the most distinguished educational institutions in the United Kingdom, and the University of Durham is one of its current members. Durham University had the title of “first university in England” for close to 600 of those years. The primary responsibilities of the organization were delegated to the university’s sixteen academic colleges and their respective departments. Additionally, in 2018, it was awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for this achievement. The storied past of the university, which dates back more than 180 years, is one of the primary draws for prospective students. The Times and Sunday Times bestowed upon Durham University the title of Sports University of the Year in 2015.
According to the QS Globe University Rankings for the year 2018, it was ranked as the 78th best university in the entire world. Additionally, it is regarded as one of the top public universities in Durham, which is located in the United Kingdom. Aside from that, it has an overall ranking of 86th in the world according to the QS Global World Rankings 2021. The entirety of the university’s property can be found at two different places: the Durham City Campus and the Queen’s Campus in Stockton. While the university’s departments are in charge of research and instructing students, the colleges are in charge of domestic arrangements and the general well-being of the students. There are 14,604 students enrolled in the bachelor’s program at Durham University, and 4,509 students enrolled in the master’s program. As of the year 2017, this educational establishment has the highest graduate employment rate of any other university in the United Kingdom.
More than two hundred different degrees can be earned at Durham University between undergraduate, graduate, and research levels. Graduates of Durham have gone on to make significant contributions in a range of sectors, including but not limited to academia, business, media, government, the arts, law, athletics, and science. Over 109,000 Durham University graduates are served by over 67 different alumni organisations, which range from worldwide organizations to collegiate and sports-related societies. Among the university’s current and emeritus graduates, there are 17 fellows of the British Academy, 14 colleagues of the Academy of Social Sciences and the Royal Society, two fellows each of the Royal Society of Arts and the Academy of Medical Sciences, and five fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. In addition, there are 17 fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. Alumni are encouraged to maintain their connection with the university by participating in annual events such as reunions, balls, and banquets.
The institution is now ranked 82nd in the QS World Rankings 2022, which places it among the top 100 universities in the world. Additionally, the university is a part of the prestigious Russell Group, which is comprised of the most prestigious research universities in the United Kingdom. The Teaching Excellence Framework recognized Durham University as having consistently high standards of instruction, learning, and outcome for its student body, and it awarded the university with Gold Status. There are 25 academic departments at Durham University, and 19 of them are ranked in the top 100 in the country. Over 200 undergraduate programs and 190 postgraduate programs are provided by the institution. These programs are organized into faculties that include Arts & Humanities, Business, Social Sciences, and Engineering & Science. The business school has received three different types of accreditation, and the Financial Times has placed its MBA program in second place in the world in terms of value for money.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Durham University
Scholarship Country: United Kingdom
Scholarship Worth: £53,333
Study Level: Fellowship
Nationality: International Students
- An early-career journalist has the opportunity to develop their ideas and collaborations in a thriving community of journalists and researchers through the Sir Harry Evans Global Fellowship in Investigative Journalism. This opportunity is made possible through engagement with the University’s departments, institutes, and colleges.
- The successful applicant will be offered a position at Durham University for the duration of the Fellowship and will also spend time on placement in the Reuters newsroom in London or with another suitable partner selected by Reuters. Additionally, a suitable academic supervisor and mentor will be assigned to the applicant who is selected to get the position at Durham University.
- In addition to a maximum living stipend of £1,250 per month and a one-time payment of £1,800 for travel and expenses, the Fellowship offers a monthly salary of approximately £4,444 per month for each month of the Fellowship (equivalent to a pro-rata salary of approximately £53,333 per year). This is in addition to the Fellowship’s monthly salary of approximately £4,444 per month for each month of the Fellowship.
- Subject to certain terms and conditions, Durham University will pay up to a maximum of £12,000 to the successful applicant’s employer to cover temporary staff costs if the candidate is already employed by a news or media organization and is taking a period of leave in order to seek the Fellowship.
Eligibility for Scholarship.
- Applicants that are qualified will be at an early stage in their careers and will have experience working in professional journalism.
- Applications may be considered on a case-by-case basis in situations in which the prospective applicant is not currently employed as a journalist but has worked in an investigative reporting capacity in a related professional field (for instance, leading human rights or other socio-political publications and campaigns; working as an author or researcher on authoritative investigative work; or developing in-field photo- or video-research projects, documentaries, or exhibitions).
- Applicants need to submit their applications in the prescribed format, which may be found above.
- The Harry Evans Fellowship is an opportunity available all over the world; as a result, we encourage applications from all qualified candidates, despite where in the world they may currently be located. The successful candidate will be required to fulfill all immigration procedures in order to take part in the Fellowship, which will be carried out in both Durham and London. We welcome submissions from members of communities who are under-represented in the media and encourage others to do the same.
- The Fellowship Committee will be in charge of supervising the application process and will work to ensure that a broad range of applicants are taken into consideration for the opportunity. All of the aforementioned criteria will be taken into consideration when evaluating the applicants. The very last step will consist of an interview.
- The outcome will be communicated to the applicant who was successful no later than Saturday, October 1, 2022. The Fellowship will get under way at the beginning of 2023.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) looks for academically talented but economically disadvantaged young people in Africa who will change the continent with their knowledge, skills, attitudes, and values, as shown by how they lead. The MCFSP is for young people in Africa who are smart but don’t have much money.
The Durham University 2022 Journalism Global Fellowship for International Students is open to all International Students
- The application deadline for the Fellowship is Monday, August 15, 2022 at midday British Summer Time (BST), and submissions must be made via email. ??
- Make sure you fill out the application for the Sir Harry Evans Global Fellowship (.docx). On this form, you will be requested to fill in the following information:?
- A brief statement (no more than 500 words) in which you introduce yourself to the Fellowship Committee, express what it is that you want to do with the help of this opportunity, and explain how your perspective on journalism aligns with the ethos of the Fellowship.
- A comprehensive plan (no more than 800 words) outlining the investigative project that you hope to carry out while you are in possession of the Fellowship. Journalism that makes use of several media formats is strongly encouraged, and the proposal may include a limited amount of pertinent visual material, such as graphics, still photographs, or a video clip. The Fellowship Committee should understand precisely what the story is about after reading the proposal; what makes the story unique, including what the new discoveries would be; why the story is significant; what impact it may have; how you would report it; and how you would convey it. This idea will play a significant role in the evaluation that is conducted by the Fellowship Committee; however, the editors at Reuters may choose to give the successful fellow a different project to work on.
- Once you have finished filling out the form, save it using the following file format: FirstName-Surname-SHEF-Fellowship.
- In addition to the application form, the following items are required of you:?
- The presentation of published examples of work (no more than five examples), either as links to published work or as attachments to the email in question, are required.
- A letter of recommendation written by an editor who has worked closely with you and who has evaluated your capabilities and potential as an investigative journalist?
- Email the completed form along with any attachments to [email protected] as soon as possible but no later than Monday, August 15, 2022 at 12:00 PM BST.
- No applications will be considered after this date and time, regardless of how well the application form and any relevant attachments are filled out and emailed to [email protected].
- If candidates have any queries, they can send them to [email protected] to have them answered. Discussion of any questions is optional.
The application deadline for Durham University 2022 Journalism Global Fellowship for International Students is August 15, 2022