Kari Howard cherished writing tales that gave the impression to the audience that they had just made a new acquaintance. Writers who had the good fortune to work with her as an editor found themselves faced with the difficulty of incorporating the music of everyday life and the passion of remarkable love into the narratives that shed light on the most pressing issues of the day. It is an honour for Kari’s family and friends, as well as the International Women’s Media Foundation, to be able to award grants in her memory to encourage narrative journalism, which she was a strong advocate for.
About the Scholarship Provider:
The International Women’s Forum (IWF) is a network of the world’s most successful and influential women that can only be joined by invitation. We bring together women leaders from a wide variety of professional fields to collaborate in support of one another and the shared objective of developing women’s leadership and championing equality on a global scale. Since its founding in New York City in 1974, the International Women’s Forum (IWF) has grown to include more than 7,800 prominent women leaders from 33 nations and 76 local Forums. The International Women’s Forum (IWF) is the only organisation of this scale that fosters major interactions between C-level women across countries as well as careers. Our membership includes renowned individuals from a variety of fields, including but not limited to innovators, business owners, chief executive officers, former leaders of state, academics, scientists, astronauts, Olympic athletes, artists, filmmakers, financiers, and philanthropists.
IWF members are required to have a demonstrated commitment to the organization’s overarching objective, which is to promote women’s leadership and champion equality on a global scale. Together, we are working to create a future in which gender is irrelevant in leadership roles, and in which the next generation is both inspired and able to bring about radical change in the world.
SeNSS is one of only 14 Doctoral Training Partnerships in the United Kingdom that is sponsored by the ESRC, and they will be offering a handful of fully-funded ESRC doctoral studentships beginning in September 2023. SeNSS is one of the only 14 Doctoral Training Partnerships in the United Kingdom that is sponsored by the ESRC.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): International Women’s Forum (IWF)
Scholarship Country: United States of America
Scholarship Worth: $5,000
Study Level: Vocational
Nationality: International Students
- The most that can be awarded in grants is $5,000.
The Gustafsson & Skrondal Visiting Scholarship is administered by the University of Oslo’s Centre for Educational Measurement (CEMO). As part of the visiting scholar program, CEMO and the University of Oslo host a number of young researchers from Norway and elsewhere each year.
Eligibility for Scholarship.
- Journalists that identify as nonbinary or women are welcome to apply for this position.
- Print journalists, either freelance or employed, are eligible to apply; applicants may submit their materials singly or as members of a multi-format team.
- The applicant’s major line of work must be in the field of professional journalism.
- All applicants are expected to have a minimum of three years’ worth of professional journalism experience. It is important to note that internships do not qualify as professional experience.
- Applicants are required to provide evidence of interest from an editor or demonstrate a history of publishing in reputable media venues as a prerequisite for consideration.
- Applicants are required to submit their materials and publish in English.
- Any reporting that is done in many formats has to augment a printed project.
- Please be aware that articles have the potential to be published digitally and do not necessarily need to appear in a print publication such as a newspaper or magazine.
- Midway through the month of October, applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications.
The IWF 2023 The Kari Howard Fund for Narrative Journalism is open to all international students.
If a student enrolls in one of the degree programs offered by SOAS University of London, they may be eligible to receive a fee waiver award in the amount of £5,000. This award is available to students who are interested in receiving a degree from SOAS University of London.
- Visit the IWF website for further information.
The application deadline for the IWF 2023 The Kari Howard Fund for Narrative Journalism is August 20, 2023.