Each year, the Playford Trust, in conjunction with the South Australian Division of the Geological Society of Australia (GSA), will award a scholarship in the amount of $5,000 to an exceptional student who will be beginning their Honours year of study in earth sciences at one of the public universities in South Australia.
The Geological Society of Australia (GSA) is a learned organization that was founded in 1952 as a non-profit with the purpose of advancing geological research in Australia. Members come from a variety of backgrounds, including the mining and petroleum industries, as well as government departments, educational and research institutes, and consulting companies.
About the Scholarship Sponsor:
Around 300 acres were granted to the University of Adelaide by the people of Bedford Park in 1960 so that it could open a second campus in the area. As much as one hundred and fifty acres could be involved here. Flinders University was founded in response to this need. After a year of planning and preparation, construction began in 1962. In 1965, the Australian Labor Party (ALP) utilized election funds to buy a plot of land in Bedford Park, whereupon they built a university. After some initial success, they concluded that this strategy was their best hope going forward. Since its first freshman class arrived on July 1, 1966, Flinders University has been widely considered Australia’s best university. Matthew Flinders, a British explorer and geographer, is honored with the naming of this region. Before the passage of the University Act, higher education institutions in the United States were not legally protected. Approximately 400 students and 90 faculty members braved the chilly March day in 1966 to attend classes.
The first two permanent residents were the illustrious professors Sir Mark Mitchell and Peter Karmel. These two accomplished individuals will be the university’s first Chancellor and Vice Chancellor. Flinders University has a variety of beautiful campuses spread out across southern Australia. The main campus can be found in Bedford Park, around 12 kilometers from the heart of the city. There are a number of places for students to do academic work on campus, including study rooms, computer labs, the library, and open areas with free wireless internet. A baseball field, softball field, and football field are all in close proximity to one another. Victoria Square is a great spot to get some work done because of its proximity to Adelaide’s financial district. It should go without saying that a school’s campus is the very heart of the institution. Tonsley, South Australia is home to a second Flinders College campus.
Adelaide University is located in Canberra, although it also has campuses in Melbourne and Darwin. Courses are also available in various cities across the USA. Flinders University boasts a diverse student body with interests spanning business, the arts, education, engineering, medical, and public service. There are many different study abroad programs available to college students from all around the world. The competition for jobs in Hong Kong, Singapore, and Malaysia is higher than in China. More than 26,000 students are enrolled at this university, and it employs around 2,600 workers. These measures are being taken to ensure that the university will maintain its status as one of the few elite IRU institutions (IRU)
Canada, China, the UK, and Germany are just a few of the countries where this university has established strong ties with other illustrious academic establishments. Many countries’ graduate programs accept applicants who meet the minimum requirements. Numerous prominent leaders are former students of Flinders University. Actor Mario Andreacchio was honored with an Emmy for his television performances. It’s clear that he has acting chops both in front of and behind the camera. Having experience both in front of and behind the camera as a producer, he has a complete understanding of the industry. Alex Frayne is rapidly rising to prominence thanks to his impressive portfolio of still and moving images. Although Noni Hazlehurst’s acting career has received the most attention, she has also found success in the roles of director and pianist. Both the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) and the Australian Film Institute have recognized her work (ARIA).
Director Scott Hicks took home the gold for his film Shine, which was inspired by the story of musician David Helfgott. Hicks planned and led the operation. Hicks contributed significantly more to the film than only the story and the direction of the action. As the film’s executive producer, he was responsible for seeing that it was finished. Hicks has been a fantastic leader for Tonga. Certainly, Dr. Brendon Coventry’s innovative research has aided in the progression of immunology and surgery. His work establishing the existence of a feedback loop in the immune system is groundbreaking. Therefore, his finding remained a secret. In light of his standing in the field, it is hardly surprising that Christopher Pearson has garnered a devoted fan base thanks to his writing. Former Australian Prime Minister John Howard’s speechwriter also worked as editor of “The Adelaide Review.” He gained greatly from his newfound knowledge in two distinct areas.
Many different people and organizations have praised Sudesh Mishra’s writings. Renowned professors and graduates are featured prominently as well. You can find a link to the membership roster on the main page. The city of Adelaide is conveniently located near many other metropolitan areas, making it an excellent departure point for weekend road trips. The region is well-known for its gorgeous beaches and undulating landscape. It’s not easy to prepare in advance for a trip like that. It was named one of the top five best places to live in the world in the 2016 Global Liveability Study. The final outcome wasn’t a huge surprise to me. For this reason, many international students choose to study there rather than in other big cities around the world. Several reports have indicated that Adelaide has 14% cheaper living costs than the next-cheapest major Australian city. As a result of Australia’s general cost of living decline, students now have more disposable income with which to explore the country’s affordable tourist attractions.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Flinders University
Scholarship Country: Australia
Scholarship Worth: $5,000
Scholarship Type: Undergraduate
Nationality: International Students
- A scholarship with an annual value of $5,000.00 is available.
Eligibility for Scholarship
- Applicants are need to be:
- Prepared to begin working full time a degree in earth sciences with an honours or an equivalent designation from any one of the three universities.
- a citizen of either Australia or New Zealand, or someone who is in possession of a permanent resident visa who lives in South Australia
- Having the intention to spend a substantial portion of their professional life in South Australia or having a high probability of being of use to the state
- A high achiever, with an outstanding academic record from the undergraduate level A person of good character Students who have promise for leadership will be given preference for this award. At the time of the award, students must be members of the Geological Society of Australia (or have sought for membership).
- Students are not prevented from applying on the basis of these criteria, however it is important to note that the following will also be taken into consideration.
- Can provide evidence that they are thinking on continuing their education or conducting more research after completing their Honors degree.
- Can provide evidence of how they intend to connect with the society and further the goals of the GSA
- You shouldn’t be applying for any other significant scholarships relevant to your industry at the same time.
- The Playford Trust will take into consideration nominations submitted by students attending one of the three public institutions in South Australia. However, the Trust maintains the authority to accept or reject any or all of the nominations submitted.
- The ultimate decision will be made by a committee consisting of representatives from both the GSA-SA Division and the Playford Trust.
- It is absolutely necessary for the applicant’s supervisor or an academic referee (such as the dean of the school or faculty, or a lecturer) to submit a supporting comment on the student’s accomplishments, character, and potential for leadership.
Undergraduates at Leeds University in the United Kingdom can apply for a scholarship for the 2023–2024 school year. In an effort to inspire all students to continue their study, the University of Leeds is looking for exceptional students who can participate in research across the Mathematics department and are inspired to pursue higher education.
The Flinders University 2023 Playford Trust / GSA Scholarship is open to all International Students
- Are you interested, and do you qualify? To submit an application, please visit Flinders University’s page on playfordtrust.scholarshipsplatform.com.
The application deadline for Flinders University 2023 Playford Trust / GSA Scholarship is January 20, 2023