When California Teachers Association a.k.a. CTA was founded in 1863, only a few hundred students attended public schools and teachers were poorly prepared and seriously underpaid. Within three years, CTA persuaded the state legislature to establish free public schools for all children.
The unified voice of educators in California’s public schools and colleges, CTA is a powerful and passionate advocate for students and public education. Our 310,000 members support and nurture all students in classrooms every day, preparing them to be the leaders of tomorrow. And, as the largest affiliate in the 3-million member National Education Association, our voice is heard in the halls of our Capitol in Washington, D.C.
- High school grade point average should reflect a high unweighted average. College coursework should reflect high academic achievement. Explain any unique circumstances related to medical, physical or emotional difficulties that may have affected your grades.
- Applicant must be the dependent child of an active member of CTA, CTA/NEA-Retired or deceased CTA member and be claimed as a dependent on the member’s current year’s IRS form.
- Applicant must be claimed as a dependent status* on the member’s current year IRS forms. Applicant must be the dependent child of an active, CTA/NEA-Retired or deceased CTA member. This scholarship is not available to spouses of CTA members.*Per IRS regulations.
- Applications must be submitted online by 11:59 p.m. on Friday,January 29, 2021. A complete application consists of the online application, two recommendation forms and official transcripts.
- Applicant Information
- Applicant’s Statement (Please provide a word count)
- School/Community Activity Record
- Recommendation Form #1– Educator – No family members. Teacher, Counselor, Administrator, School Coach, College Professor. Please provide a word count.
- Recommendation Form #2– Educator or Community Member. A community member is someone who knows the applicant outside of the school setting.No family members. Please provide a word count.
- OFFICIAL Transcripts – Send ONLY official high school and/or college transcripts bearing the school seal. Transcripts from the most recent years of coursework will be used to compute the applicant’s GPA. MUST include high school transcripts if college units total less than 60 semester or 90 quarter units.
How to Apply
- Scholarships are awarded based on several points and the guide on their website should be looked out before applying.
- Recommendation forms must separately address each of the following categories: Involvement in human, social and/or civic issues that reflect responsibility, reliability and integrity. And, educational and personal achievements that reflect academic and/or vocational potential.
- Applications are read in their entirety by the CTA Scholarship Committee. The applications with the highest cumulative scores will be recommended as scholarship recipients.
Before January 29th 2022