An Industry PhD Scholarship is currently being offered by Flinders University and Nourish Ingredients for the purpose of doing original research in the fields of medical biotechnology and microbial bioprocessing. This research project is a collaboration between the Flinders College of Medicine and Public Health and Nourish Ingredients Pty. Ltd., with the goal of developing oleaginous fungi for their capacity to produce higher lipid yields and proteins, which can then be used to make animal-free lipids.
Nourish Ingredients is a well-respected and dynamic organization that has expertise in lipid engineering science and precision fermentation for the purpose of creating sustainable products that are kinder to the earth and animals. This experience will be brought to the project, which will help advance its goals. Additionally, the Flinders College of Medicine and Public Health is dedicated to the production of novel fatty acid compositions for the purpose of producing animal-free fats, and it possesses complementary research strengths in the areas of bioprocessing, lipid fermentation, and protein biotechnology. With the help of one another, we are approaching this difficult research topic with the goal of developing novel approaches to its investigation.
About the Scholarship Sponsor:
About 300 acres of land in Bedford Park were donated to the University of Adelaide in 1960 so that it might establish a second campus there. It could have involved roughly 150 hectares of land. Flinders University got its start because of this. In 1962, after a year of preparation and planning, construction began. When the Australian Labor Party (ALP) took state government in 1965, they used their election winnings to purchase privately owned land in Bedford Park and establish a university there. After achieving their objective, they reasoned that this was the next best thing to do. On July 1, 1966, Flinders University opened for the first time. Matthew Flinders, a British explorer and geographer, is honored with the naming of this region. Forget about higher education in the United States without the University Act. There were barely 400 students and 90 teachers on campus that March day in 1966.
The initial residents of the campus were professors Sir Mark Mitchell and Peter Karmel. They are the first Chancellor and Vice Chancellor of the university. The Flinders University main campus is conveniently located in the northern area of Australia, close to the university’s other campuses. Bedford Park, located about 12 kilometers from the city center, is home to the main campus of the school. Students have access to numerous facilities on campus, including computer labs, study rooms, a library, and public spaces with free wireless internet. In addition to the usual football field, volleyball court, and basketball court, they also have a baseball diamond and a softball field. Victoria Square, located in the heart of Adelaide’s commercial district, is an excellent location for students looking to get ahead in their studies. The campus is often referred to as the “blood” of a school.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Flinders University
Scholarship Country: Australia
Scholarship Worth: $40,000
Scholarship Type: PhD
Nationality: International Students
This Scholarship Makes Available to You:
- $40,000 every year, completely free of taxation, for a maximum of four years
- supervised by members of the academic community and assisted by mentors from from the business community
- The Plus Program will allow you to get experience in conducting rigorous and cutting-edge research in a commercial setting through participation in monthly training sessions.
- Being surrounded by colleagues from the three universities in South Africa who are working on related initiatives and providing mutual support and learning from one another
- Access to the experience of both academia and industry through collaborative supervision
- The possibility of managing a difficult research project and coming up with creative solutions to difficult problems
- A forum for collaborative research in which you can improve your abilities and expand your professional network in order to advance your research career.
Eligibility for Scholarship
You will need the following in order to be considered for the Scholarship:
- To be a citizen of Australia or New Zealand, a permanent resident of Australia, or to either hold a relevant international visa or be eligible to apply for one; and
- Meet the requirements for admission to the PhD program at Flinders University, which include having an Australian Honors degree of Class 1 or 2A, an equivalent qualification that is at least AQF Level 8, or evidence of equivalent research experience in the form of refereed publications or significant experience as a lead researcher; and
- It is expected of scholarship recipients to begin their studies as soon as it is feasible to do so (ideally before December 1, 2022), within a timeframe specified by the Office of Graduate Research in consultation with the industry partner, up to a maximum of three months from the time the scholarship was accepted.
- Any additional eligibility requirements that are pertinent to the business partner or research project (eg have or able to apply for a National Police Criminal History Check)
- It is highly desirable for applicants to also have the following qualifications: a Bachelor of Science degree in biotechnology (H1 or H2A), along with relevant experience in bioprocessing; or a Master of Science degree in biotechnology (HD or D), along with research experience in bioprocessing that involves growing microbes, fermentation, and purification of metabolites.
- Candidates that have previously published work in the proposed field of research will be given preference.
Undergraduates at Leeds University in the United Kingdom can apply for a scholarship for the 2023–2024 school year. In an effort to inspire all students to continue their study, the University of Leeds is looking for exceptional students who can participate in research across the Mathematics department and are inspired to pursue higher education.
The Flinders University and Nourish Ingredients Industry 2022 PhD Scholarship is open to all International Students
- Fill out the application for the Higher Degree by Research Scholarship, which may be found in the attachment, and send it along with any supporting evidence to Associate Professor Munish Puri by email at the following address: [email protected].
The application deadline for Flinders University and Nourish Ingredients Industry 2022 PhD Scholarship is October 28, 2022. The scholarship is renewal each year.