The $40,000 Five Strong Scholarship is about closing the racial wealth gap that happens in the United States. This scholarship is one of the highest and leading funds that can change a person’s life. The $40,000 scholarship covers a students entire academic college career while they do not need to pay anything out of pocket.
At least 85% of the graduate students that utilize the 5 strong scholarship ends up working in an executive position or creating a company.
This scholarship goes to paying tuition and fees to community college. A near 300,000 students across the states are applicable for this scholarship.
Founder Andrew Ragland watched HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) nurture young minds and saw how that improved the lives of communities. This instilled an incredible project where students who may not have had a chance towards a higher education, don’t need to worry about paying back student loan debt. And instead can become one of the countries leading scholars.
5 Strong partners with Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) to provide promising student leaders with full-tuition scholarships and ongoing mentorship and support from matriculation to graduation.
- Must be a high school student
- Must be a minority student
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- At the current time international students can not apply
- This scholarship is located in the southern u.s. and it’s primarily applicable to the students who live in the southern united states
After a student is chosen to win the 5 strong scholarship, the foundation helps the student by teaming up 5 scholars with that student. This is to ensure the student has all of the accessibility to become a scholar.
After this scholarship was founded in 2015, a team was built around the intensive college success program that is run by an experienced set of teachers who treat their students like family.
Alumni Partners are:
- Alabama State University
- Bennett College
- Benedict College
- Langston University
- Fisk University
- Fort Valley State University
- Cookman College
How to Apply
The only way to apply is to go to the website link provided and in the upper right hand corner there will be a button that says “apply.”
There is even a new section for students who live in particular cities, one states:
- Students who live in Houston
- Students who live in Atlanta
Some of the HBCU partners still require that 5 Strong applicants submit standardized test scores (ACT/SAT) in order to receive the full tuition scholarships. Do some research to find a time and place that work well for each student.
There is a lit available on the blog part of the website.
Example: For Applying in Houston:
- Reside in the Houston metropolitan area
- Be a current-year graduating high school senior
- Demonstrate the potential to be a leader in the classroom and on campus
- Have earned a GPA of at least 3.0 (Some HBCU Partners GPA requirements are higher)
- Have a minimum ACT score of 19 or a combined SAT score of 990 for both Evidence-Based Reading and Writing and Math sections (Some HBCU Partners test score requirements are higher)
- Commit to becoming a member of 5 Strong and to attending your selected HBCU.
- Be available to attend all mandatory bimonthly College Ready Prep Sessions (in person in Houston when safe, remotely for now)
The reward is a full college tuition coverage along with the total of $40,000 to cover all fees.
The deadline is effectively December 1, 2021. But with the deadline ending for 2021, this means the scholarships will be fully effective in the year 2022.
The new application process begins on August 1st, 2021.
Applications are due December 1st, 2021.
This is an annual scholarship that continues to grow each year.