The Alaska legislature created the Alaska Education Grant (AEG) program to provide need-based financial assistance to eligible Alaska students attending qualifying postsecondary educational institutions in Alaska. The grant is funded through the Alaska Higher Education Investment Fund, a source of long-term funding for the AEG program.
Eligibility & Requirements
- Be an Alaska resident for at least 365 days prior to filling the FAFSA, and be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Have a high school diploma or GED.
- Be admitted into an undergraduate degree or vocational certificate program at a qualifying Alaska institution.
- Be enrolled at minimum half-time status.
- Not have earned a prior baccalaureate degree.
- Meet satisfactory academic progress requirements per institution guidelines.
How to Apply
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is the application for the AEG. You must select at least one qualifying Alaska Institution of higher education at the time of your FAFSA filing to be considered for the AEG.
Students need to apply each year they wish to be considered for an award. ACPE encourages students to apply early for award prioritization.
Qualifying students – those who have completed the upcoming academic year’s FAFSA and meet the initial eligibility requirements – will be sent an AEG Intent Form during the summer months. The Intent Form notification is sent via email. Students who receive the AEG Intent Form notification must complete and return the Form within the timeline specified in the email.
- In addition to meeting the eligibility requirements described above, students must be enrolled at least half time at a participating Alaska postsecondary institution.
- Your school must certify your enrollment eligibility for the AEG award at the beginning of each academic year.
- Grants are awarded to eligible applicants in order of highest financial need until all available funds are exhausted.
- Not all eligible students will receive an AEG, and receiving a grant in one year does not guarantee you will receive it in future years.
- You can monitor your AEG application and eligibility status through your Alaska Student Aid Portal (ASAP) account.
June 30th, 2021