The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships are aimed at young researchers from abroad who have completed a master’s degree or people who are foreign artists with a bachelor’s degree.
Every year the Swiss Scholarship Council awards Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships to promote international exchange and research cooperation between Switzerland and more than 180 countries. Recipients are selected by the awarding body, the Federal Commission for International Students Scholarships (FCS).
Types of Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships (SGS) 2021
After Switzerland, the types of scholarships offered under the Swiss Government Scholarships (SGS) are as follows
Research grants are available to postgraduate researchers in any discipline (who have a minimum master’s degree). If you are planning to go to Switzerland for further research or study at the doctoral or post-doctoral level, this opportunity is definitely for you. The scholarships are awarded for research or study at all Swiss cantonal universities. Only candidates nominated by an academic mentor at one of these higher education institutions will be considered, so it is best that you get an acceptance letter before applying for the Swiss scholarship.
Art scholarships are open to art students interested in pursuing an initial master’s degree in Switzerland.
Art scholarships are awarded to study at any Swiss conservatory or university of the arts. This scholarship is available to students from a limited number of countries only.
Institutions where the studies will be carried out:
Cantonal Universities and Universities of Art, Switzerland.
Levels and areas of studies:
Masters in artistic areas and doctorates for studies in Science.
Who can participate ?:
All foreign students are welcome to participate in the selection processes for the 2021 Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships.
Endowment of the scholarship:
- Medical insurance for non-EU and non-EFTA students
- One-year half-fare public transport card
- Monthly stipend of CHF 1920 for master’s degrees and CHF 3500 for doctorates.
- Support for various trips, dinners and tourist visits.
- CHF 300 special housing allowance (paid once at the beginning)
- For non-EU students, a flight allowance for a return ticket to their home country.
Instructions to apply:
- Applicants must apply for scholarships through the Swiss embassy in their home country and can obtain the application packet by email at the Swiss Embassy.
- Scholarship requirements, application deadline, and types of scholarships offered vary by country.
- Applicants must submit 2 sets of application documents (1 original + 1 copy):
- The first set of documents contains the original signed documents plus the letters of recommendation.
- The second set of documents is a copy of the first set, except for letters of recommendation.
- Two copies of the applicant’s passport (main page with personal data)
- Medical certificate (use only the FCS health certificate form)
- Copies of certificates and transcripts from universities / colleges previously attended
- Two confidential recommendation letters (use FCS referral form only)
- Doctoral Program Applicants: Letter of Admission from Doctoral School
- Letter from a host academic professor (including their short CV)
- Research Proposal Using the FCS Research Proposal Form
- Motivation letter
- CV with list of academic publications
- FCS application form with photo (typed, printed and signed)
Until December 31, 2020.