Applications for the Graham Foundation Grants to Individuals 2023 are now open. The Graham Foundation has encouraged the development and exchange of diverse and challenging ideas about architecture and its role in the arts, culture, and society.
As one of the few patrons of individuals in the field of architecture, the foundation’s grants provide important support for the work of emerging and established architects, scholars, writers, artists, designers, curators, filmmakers, and others.
The Graham Foundation supports innovative and challenging research in architecture; history, theory, and criticism of architecture; design; Engineering; landscape architecture; urban planification; Urban studies; Visual arts; and related research fields.
His interest also extends to work in the fine arts, humanities, and sciences that push the boundaries of architectural thought and space.
What You Need to Know About Graham Foundation Grants
Level/field of study
The Graham Foundation offers two types of grants to individuals: production and presentation grants and research and development grants.
The Graham Foundation Grants 2023 is held in the USA.
The Graham Foundation Scholarship is open to international students.
Production and presentation grants:
These grants help people with the production-related expenses that are necessary to take a project from conceptualization to completion and public presentation.
These projects include but are not limited to, publications, exhibitions, installations, films, and new media projects. Projects must have clearly defined goals, work plans, budgets, and production and dissemination plans.
- Grant Amount: Production and presentation grants to individuals do not exceed $20,000 and are likely to be less. Given the demand for funding, the Graham Foundation is not always able to fund projects for the full amount of the request.
- Award Period: Production and Presentation Grants must be completed within two years. Applicants must be given sufficient time to plan, implement, and close their project and, if funded, acknowledge the support of the Graham Foundation in all published media.
Research and development grants
Research and development grants help individuals with seed money for research-related expenses such as travel, documentation, materials, supplies, and other development costs. Projects should have clearly defined goals, work plans, and budgets.
Upon completion of research projects, R&D grant recipients are required to complete a research report and provide documentation that can be filed with the Graham Foundation and/or featured on our website.
- Grant Amount: Research and development grants do not exceed $10,000 and are likely to be less. Due to the demand for funds, the Graham Foundation is not always able to fund grantees with the full amount of the request.
- Award Period: Research and development grants must be completed within one year. Applicants must be given sufficient time to plan, implement, and close their project and, if funded, acknowledge the support of the Graham Foundation in all published media.
Graham Foundation Scholarships Eligibility
- However, open to established and emerging architects, scholars, writers, artists, designers, curators, filmmakers, and other individuals in the United States, they make a small percentage of international grants. Please note that they require final projects to be released in English;
- Individuals are eligible to apply for Production and Presentation Grants and Research and Development Grants;
- Collaborative projects of individuals are eligible for funding. A collaborator is defined as a co-author of the project. A collaborator is not a participant who provides contracted services for the project;
- Individuals may only apply for one scholarship per year;
- Applicants who have received prior assistance from the Graham Foundation must have met all grant requirements before reapplying;
- Individuals working on independent projects who are required by their organizations to apply for and receive funding under the organization’s aegis (for example, a faculty member at an academic institution) may use a fiscal agent;
- Individuals applying for production and presentation grants must have a Committed Producer(s) for the project, i.e., an entity committed to producing and/or presenting the project with the individual, such as a publisher, venue, etc .;
- A recipient of a Research and Development Grant is eligible to apply for a Production and Presentation Grant for the same project once the first grant has been satisfied, however, future funding is not guaranteed.
Graham Foundation Scholarships Evaluation Criteria
Given the priorities, the organizers believe that the projects with the greatest potential should meet the following criteria:
- Originality: The project demonstrates an innovative and challenging idea; critical, independent thinking; advanced scholarship A new or experimental approach.
- Impact potential: The project makes a significant contribution to the discourse and/or the field; expands knowledge; it is a catalyst for future research; raises awareness of a little-studied subject; Promotes diversity in subject matter, participants, and audience.
- Feasibility: The project has clear and realistic objectives, a schedule, a work plan, and a budget.
- Ability: Applicant possesses strong qualifications and/or knowledge; demonstrates the ability to carry out the project successfully; You have access to necessary resources outside of the grant application.
How to apply
To apply for the Graham Foundation Scholarship, you can make use of the link below.