To recognize the outstanding education of its students, the Swedish American Foundation has been awarded excellent master’s, doctoral, and research scholarships in the United States and Canada. Applications for the 2022-2023 school year are now open.
The Swedish American Foundation offers cash scholarships for master’s, doctoral and postdoctoral studies in the United States and Canada. Scholarships can be applied for study/research in 6-12 months. The center distributes a variety of scholarships and personal or corporate bursaries. It is not possible to apply for all of these grants separately, but after the foundation receives each applicant, who will provide the funds and the basis for the scholarship will be determined. For scholarship, Foundation policies are required.
The Swedish Students are encouraged to apply for the scholarship, the students must be undertaking their Master’s, Ph.D., and research studies.
Scholarship Provider: Sweden- America Foundation
About the Provider
The Swedish American Foundation is a Swedish foundation that provides young Swedes with access to research and culture in the United States and Canada. The foundation was established in June 1919 at the beginning of some academics, businessmen, politicians, and other important Swedes at the time. For many years, recipients of the Swedish American Foundation Scholarship have played an important role in the economy, politics, and culture of Sweden. These include academics who later became professors and Nobel laureates, ambassadors, prime ministers, politicians, and CEOs of some of Sweden’s most famous companies.
The Swedish American Foundation is an organization trusted by partners, companies, individuals, and big industries. For many years, many well-known Swedish companies have provided scholarships, grants, bursaries, and means to the management base. Each year, the Swedish American Foundation honors scholarships for graduates, Ph.D., and postgraduate researchers in the United States and Canada. Swedish citizens with a bachelor’s degree can apply. The Swedish-American Foundation administers 13 permanent scholarships, 12 of which are used for social purposes. The first fund was established in 1919 when Swedish artist Anders Zorn received a grant for the foundation. This became known as “Zorn Friendship”, which is also considered one of the Swedish-American Foundation’s best gifts.
- Academic Year: 2022-2023
- Applicant’s Nationality: Sweden
- Degree Level: Master, Ph.D., and research
- Field: Any eligible field for the scholarship
- Number of Awards: NA
- Duration: 6-12 months
- Scholarship Country: Sweden
- Scholarships can be taken in USA and Canada
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
The information about the eligibility must be read carefully and the applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria to be able to proceed with the application process for the scholarship.
- The interested applicants must be Swedish Nationals.
- Must have completed their bachelor’s degree from any of the institution or university and must be equivalent to the Swedish or international education at the university where it was approved.
- The applicants must be holding a diploma.
- The scholarship award can be applied to any field of study that the students choose.
- The students are not required to be admitted or enrolled at the university by the time of their application.
- Applicants should be prepared to enter and make all possible arrangements related to their stay abroad. Insurance, Visa, Housing, etc.
- Scholarships are available for applications for master’s, doctoral and post-doctoral programs in the United States and Canada. The course for which the scholarship is requested must last two semesters of 6 to 12 months, from July 1 to June 30, the current call period.
FAQ about the Scholarship
- A degree with less than three years of study will not be eligible. Civil engineering, law, architecture, and medical students who do not receive a degree are not eligible.
- Scholarships cannot be applied to master’s courses in studies considered part of higher education in Sweden, for example, a master’s degree in engineering. Studies at the school of law (except LL.M.) and medicine are not allowed.
- There are no scholarships for families. Scholarships do not apply to salaries of any kind. The study or research schedule cannot be delayed. If the scholarship is not available during the school day, the student must reapply.
- Individuals who have previously obtained a master’s degree or financial research from the Swedish-American Foundation are not eligible to apply for a second term.
- Scholarships are not used for internships, short seminars, or part-time or distance learning courses. The scholarships cannot be reimbursed.
All applicants must be able to follow the instruction for the application process for the scholarship. The application form can be accessed in an online portal provided by the Sweden-America Foundation, keep in mind that all applications must be completed in the English language, and students must read the instruction thoroughly to be considered for the evaluation process.
All applications must be completed and must be submitted in the following order:
- Application Form, the application form must be completed and submitted in advance by the digital service. Once the digital support is confirmed, you will receive an automatic email with the PDF version of the application. Automated emails are accessible in your spam folder. You must print and sign the PDF version of the application.
- Budget, Please use only the financial statements available on the website for your budget. The budget forms can be printed and completed by hand. If there is anything you would like to add, please send a note with a comment. Please note that they do not distribute salaries. Only travel tickets can be included in the budget, travel outside the US/Canada is not included. One tip is to check your chosen university estimated budget to make sure students can receive the information. Your budget shouldn’t be too impacted by this!
- Curriculum Vitae, Maximum of three pages
- Study Plan Details
- Copy of Diplomas
- Transcript of Records
- Letters of recommendation
- Copy of Passport of Identification Card
Keep in mind that all required documents must be submitted in the English language.
The Sweden-America Foundation will be providing a cash scholarship amounting to up to SEK 400,000 or equivalent to the US currency of $37,800.
The deadline to complete and submit the application is until September 15, 2022.