The Louisiana Bar Foundation Kids’ Chance Scholarship Program is the state chapter of a national organization that awards scholarships to the children of Louisiana workers who have been killed or permanently and totally disabled in an accident compensate under a state or federal Workers’ Compensation Act or law.
Each year one of every 50 Louisiana workers will be injured on the job. Some of these work accidents will result in death or permanent and total disability. Families of these individuals will face difficult challenges as they struggle to overcome the financial burden of these losses. Often a child’s dream of going to college is crushed because of unexpected income loss and/or the necessity to forfeit an education for work to financially support other family members. To these children, the future can appear frightening. Already confronting difficult emotions, they often have to confront the hurdle of funding their education beyond high school.
Eligibility & Requirements
- Be Louisiana residents between 16 and 25 years old.
- Pursue a primary college degree (associate or bachelor’s).
- Maintain a minimum “C” average at accredited in-state schools.
- Apply for available state and federal financial aid.
- Must submit a recent school picture.
- Must submit official grade report at the end of each completed semester/term.
- Prompt response to requests from LBF Kids’ Chance office for documents, renewal applications, grade reports, etc.
- Maintenance of satisfactory grades of a cumulative “C” average or higher.
- Prompt notification of dropped classes or withdrawal from school.
- Must apply for any available financial aid, such as TOPS, HOPE Scholarship, Pell Grants, etc. (Award of Kids’ Chance scholarships is not dependent on students being awarded other aid, but students must apply and exert their best efforts to obtain other financial aid).
- Cooperation in responding to requests to attend LBF Kids’ Chance functions such as fund-raising events, seminars, board meetings, etc. (Attendance is not required but we encourage students to be willing to appear on our behalf and to promptly respond to calls from LBF staff).
How to Apply
Click on there portal link that’s provided, the portal to submit and apply for an application for this scholarship will not be opened until December 2022.
Historically, scholarships range between $500-$3,000 and can be increased or decreased subject to the availability of funds.
Financially needy applicants can apply until February 20th. The application portal opens on December 2022.