The working title of the ARC Future Fellowship project for which we are providing a PhD fellowship is “Strategic Friendship: Anglo-German Cooperation in the Asia-Pacific Region,” and we are searching for a highly qualified applicant to fill this position. The candidate will investigate imperial ties to Asia, Australia, and Oceania. More specifically, applicants should be enthusiastic about conducting research in a field that falls under one or more of the following broad headings:
- Anglo-German relations in Asia, Australasia, and the Pacific
- How German empire altered the social and political structures as well as the biota of Asia, Australia, and the Pacific
- The ties that bound Germans to their colonized neighbors in Asia, Australia, and the Pacific.
- Reflections on colonization from both the German and British perspectives. German colonists in British colonies.
- German and British imperialism left lasting scars in Asia, Australia, and the Pacific.
- Candidates who can conduct research in a relevant language of Asia, Europe, or the Pacific will have an edge.
About the Scholarship Sponsor:
In 1960, the people of Bedford Park gave more than 300 acres of land to the University of Adelaide so that it could build a second campus in the area. There could be up to 150 acres of land. This made it possible to start Flinders University. After a year of planning and getting ready, building began in 1962. The Australian Labor Party (ALP) won the state election in 1965. With the money from the election, they were able to buy land in Bedford Park and start a university there. They knew they had accomplished their goal, so this seemed like the best thing to do next. Flinders University is one of Australia’s oldest and most prestigious schools. It opened on July 1, 1966, to its first students. It is named after Matthew Flinders, a British explorer and cartographer. Before the University Act was passed in the late 1800s, the United States didn’t have anything like a university. On that March day in 1966, there were only about 400 students and 90 teachers there.
Sir Mark Mitchell and Peter Karmel, who were both well-known scholars, were the first people to live there full-time. They are the university’s first Chancellor and Vice Chancellor. The main campus of Flinders University is in the perfect spot, but the school’s other campuses are spread out across southern Australia. The main campus is in Bedford Park, which is about 12 km from the center of the city. There are computer labs, study rooms, a library, and public areas with free wireless internet for students to use. There are baseball and softball fields, as well as a soccer field, a volleyball court, and a basketball court. Victoria Square is in the middle of Adelaide’s business district, which makes it a great place for students to study and make progress in their studies. Campuses are so important to the education process that they are sometimes called the “soul” of universities.
One of the campuses of Flinders University in South Australia is in the town of Tonsley. The main campus of the University of Adelaide is in Canberra, but there are also campuses in Melbourne and Darwin. It also has campuses in many different parts of the country. Flinders University has classes in many different areas, such as business, the arts, education, engineering, the health sciences, and public administration. At universities all over the world, there are many chances to study abroad. Hong Kong, Singapore, and Malaysia all have economies that can keep up with China’s. The university is home to about 26,000 students and 2,600 faculty and staff. The university is taking these steps to keep its membership in the prestigious IRU (Innovative Research Universities) group (IRU)
Graduates can continue their education in Canada, China, the United Kingdom, and Germany, among other places, because the university has many international connections. Some of the most well-known people in the world went to Flinders University. Mario Andreacchio has been praised for his great work on TV. He won an Emmy for it. He has worked both in front of and behind the camera as a producer. Alex Frayne is becoming known for his skills as a cameraman and photographer. Noni Hazlehurst is best known as an actress, but she is also a director, writer, and producer. She has been honored for her work by both the Australian Film Institute and the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA).
Shine, a movie about the life of singer David Helfgott directed by Scott Hicks, won the Oscar for Best Picture. Hicks was in charge of planning and running the whole thing. Hicks did serve in these roles, but he did a lot more than that for the movie. As the film’s executive producer, he was responsible for seeing the project through to the end. Hicks has come a long way since he became Prime Minister of Tonga. Brendon Coventry has made big changes in the fields of immunology and surgery, in particular. Most people think that when he found out about the immunological cycle, it was a turning point in the history of medicine. When he finally did find it, he was smart enough to figure out what it meant. Christopher Pearson is a respected journalist, so a lot of people read what he writes. He worked as a copywriter for John Howard, who was the Prime Minister of Australia at the time. He was also the editor of “The Adelaide Review.” Between his two jobs, he learned a lot and got very good at both of them.
Several awards have been given to poet Sudesh Mishra for his work. There are also stories about famous people who either taught at or went to the school. On the home page, there is a link to the online directory for the group. Because Adelaide is close to other big cities, it is a great place to start a road trip on the weekend. There are also golden sands and gentle hills in this area. Since there are no other good options, these trips will take forever. The Global Liveability Study ranked it as one of the top five best places to live in the world in 2016. This outcome didn’t come as much of a surprise. When compared to other major cities around the world, the city’s low cost of living is a big draw for students from all over the world. A number of surveys show that the cost of living in Adelaide is 14% less than in Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane. Since the cost of living in Australia has gone down in general, students can now afford to visit the country’s many cheap tourist spots.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Flinders University
Scholarship Country: Australia
Scholarship Worth: $30 000
Scholarship Type: Fellowship
Nationality: International Students
The following are part of the scholarship:
- a stipend with a value of $30,000 per year that is exempt from taxes
- a Research Training Program Fee Offset Scholarship to cover the cost of tuition for citizens of Australia and New Zealand, as well as permanent residents of Australia and New Zealand.
Eligibility for Scholarship
- A student must fulfill the following requirements in order to be considered for the awarding of this scholarship:
- Either be a citizen of Australia or New Zealand, have been granted permanent resident status in either country, or be a non-citizen or non-permanent resident of either country who is aware that they may be required to pay foreign tuition costs throughout their time as a candidate.
- Meet the requirements for admission to a PhD program, which include having an Australian Honors degree of Class 1 or 2A or an equivalent qualification (at least AQF Level 8), having completed a research component of at least 6 months of full-time study with a distinction score of 75% OR providing evidence of equivalent research experience, such as a substantial first-author publication in a refereed journal or a track record as an investigator on a competitive grant; and submitting a research proposal.
- You must be eligible to start your studies at Flinders University as a doctoral student attending full-time in the first semester of 2023.
Undergraduates at Leeds University in the United Kingdom can apply for a scholarship for the 2023–2024 school year. In an effort to inspire all students to continue their study, the University of Leeds is looking for exceptional students who can participate in research across the Mathematics department and are inspired to pursue higher education.
The Flinders University 2022 ARC Future Fellowship PhD Scholarship is open to all International Students
- Before submitting their applications, potential applicants are strongly encouraged to get in touch with the Project lead, Professor Matthew Fitzpatrick, via email ([email protected]), in order to discuss their level of interest in the opportunity as well as their qualifications for participating in it. After this communication, you might be extended an invitation to submit an application.
- You might be required to fill out the application form that is provided below, provide a copy of your curriculum vitae along with a covering letter that outlines your relevant qualifications, experience, and research experience, as well as your reasons for applying for the scholarship, or provide any other supporting documents that are deemed necessary.
- The winning applicant for the prize will be contacted after the project team has finished reviewing all of the applications.
The application deadline for Flinders University 2022 ARC Future Fellowship PhD Scholarship is November 24, 2022.