In 1980, the Tennessee Retail Grocers Association (TRGA), now Tennessee Grocers & Convenience Store Association (TGCSA), held a golf tournament in Smyrna as a networking event and raised an $800 profit. The Board of Directors decided to set aside the money to begin a scholarship fund. September 19, 1985, Tennessee Grocers Education Foundation was established for the purpose of providing scholarships and promoting education throughout the food industry in Tennessee.
Eligibility & Requirements
- TGEF scholarships are open to high school seniors, college undergraduate, and graduate students who are employees or the dependents of employees of a TGCSA member company.
- Student employees must have been employed for at least six months, and parent employees must have been employed for at least two years as of January 1, 2021. A TGCSA member company must still employ the employee during the time the winners are selected in April.
- Graduate student applicants must be planning to enroll in a graduate program during the Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 semester at an accredited college or university in the United States.
- All scholarships are one-time awards that are applied to the recipient’s educational expenses at any accredited college or university in the United States. Awards are not renewable; however, students can re-apply each year if they continue to meet the eligibility requirements.
How to Apply
- If you have previously applied for a TGEF scholarship, you can click the Sign In tab to login using the email and password that you previously used to create your account.
- If you have not previously applied for a TGEF scholarship, you need to create a new account. You, the applicant, must register for with personal email address and legal name. Do not use your parent’s name or work email address. Your profile should reflect your legal name and contact information. If your parent’s information is needed, it will be specifically asked for on the application.
Scholarships are awarded based on academic merit, employment, and involvement in activities. Additionally, several awards have specific eligibility criteria.
Deadline & Annual
February 2022 will be the next open application submitting window, right now the 2021-2022 window is closed. But the 2022-2023 will open in February of 2022.