Stay home in Sitka for the first year after high school graduation while going to college on campus with fellow students local individuals may already know. Students will earn a valuable full year of college credit which can transfer to other colleges, save money, and develop good study habits. Enjoy the supportive environment of the Sitka Campus, where students will gain confidence and explore all rounded out interests with excellent professors who have time for every student.
UAS takes advantage of our location in Southeast Alaska’s Tongass National Forest for study in the sciences and humanities. UAS offers both online and on-campus programs in the sciences, including marine biology, English, social science, liberal arts, business, education, construction, power technology, fisheries, maritime training, health sciences, and more.
Eligibility & Requirements
- Only individuals from Sitka can apply to this scholarship award.
- Must be students that are freshmen or in their freshmen-year. Must have less that 30 credits for the term.
- All applicants must be enrolled in the UAS Sitka program, whether in-person or online.
- The students who should apply to this scholarship and enrolled in the UAS Sitka program should be the first person in their family to attend college.
- Must maintain a GPA of 2.0 of higher.
- Financial status does come into play and all information requested should be sent in.
- Students must be participating at least one Sitka Start activity.
How to Apply
The only way to apply for this scholarship is to first be enrolled in the UAS Stika program and then apply to the University of Alaska. Then individuals will already be submitted into winning this scholarship award.
Included after winning this scholarship is a $250 per-semester textbook scholarship 2-credit scholarship for the HUM 120 Sitka Start cohort. A course up that goes towards a 4-credit tuition waiver second semester. Then receive individualized support from a Sitka Start Connections mentor.
Anywhere from $1680 – $2060 per year.
Deadline & Annual
There are different deadline dates based on what season semester students are applying towards. Starting August 15, 2021 for Fall semester and December 15, 2021 for the Spring semester. This is an annual scholarship. This scholarship is also available for individuals who intend to restart their career.