AFL-CIO President Emeritus John J. Sweeney, the son of Irish immigrants, devoted his life to advancing the well-being of working people. He made outstanding contributions to working people both in the United States and internationally, which will continue to live on for years to come. This special scholarship is named in honor of AFL-CIO President Emeritus John J. Sweeney and is awarded in his honor.
About the Scholarship Sponsor:
Ulster University (UU) was established in 1984 as a multi-campus university in Northern Ireland. In terms of age, this institution has no rivals. There are 26,000 students enrolled at the university, with 2,000 coming from over 80 different countries. There are six departments at this university. In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework, the University of Utah was ranked as one of the top five universities in the United Kingdom for research in a variety of disciplines, including law, biology, nursing, the arts and design (REF).
The school has extensive connections to the business and industrial sectors, and its curriculum is built to help students integrate classroom learning with real-world experience in a range of professions. The main campus in Belfast is home to more than 30,000 students, making it one of the largest communities in all of Northern Ireland. The Cathedral Sector campus, which is located in the heart of the city’s creative and cultural quarter, is undergoing a massive £250 million rebuilding program to upgrade its teaching and learning facilities. Although it has traditionally focused on the visual arts, the Belfast campus has expanded to include programs in architecture, event management, the Irish language, photography, and digital animation. In addition to retail sales, the 75,000 square foot space regularly plays host to a variety of cultural events such as fashion shows, art exhibits, and other such gatherings.
The Coleraine campus provides a broad spectrum of programs, including but not limited to biological sciences, business, humanities, computing, film, and journalism. The campus of Coleraine University can be found on the banks of the River Bann, less than a mile from the heart of Coleraine, the largest and busiest town on the Causeway Coast. Traveling to the Giant’s Causeway and the surrounding coastal communities of Portrush and Portstewart is a breeze from here. The Riverside Theatre is Northern Ireland’s third-largest professional theater and a campus favorite. Located seven miles north of Belfast’s city center, Jordanstown is home to the Sports Institute of Northern Ireland, which has trained some of the world’s best athletes.
This university is considered the best in Ireland and the United Kingdom for sports. Magee campus is home to a fitness center and floodlit fields, making it an additional key sports facility. Sailing, rowing, canoeing, hill walking, and rock climbing are just few of the outdoor activities that may be enjoyed near the River Foyle and the city of Donegal. The largest campus of the institution is located in Jordanstown, which spans 114 acres and is home to many academic buildings and retail outlets. Programs in engineering, business, social sciences, media, education, and sports are just some of those that have grown at Jordanstown University. Business, filmmaking, acting, music, engineering, computer science, and law are just some of the disciplines represented at Magee’s Derry campus. Facilities such as libraries, multi-faith areas, medical centers, computer labs, printing, and laptop rental are available.
Several departments and schools covering a wide range of disciplines can be found within each of Ulster University’s four faculties. The institution offers 603 different majors and specializations for undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral candidates throughout the arts, engineering, business, management, health and life sciences, social sciences, and information technology. There is a vast selection of short courses and continuing education options available at this university. In addition, the school offers 78 online courses that can be taken at the student’s convenience.
A total of 27,000 students from all over the world are enrolled at the university’s four locations. The roughly 1,665 faculty and staff members here are among the most qualified and knowledgeable in their fields. Some of the most influential figures in their industries are Ulster University alums. Hillary Clinton (American politician and lawyer), Enya (musician), Darren Clarke (professional golfer), Walter Allen (literary critic), and Brian Philip Davis (former president) are all from Ireland, as are Mark Durkan (Irish politician), Mary McAleese (Ireland’s former president), Brian Robinson (former rugby player), Gerry Anderson (film and TV producer), Andrew Waterman (poet), Willie Doherty (artist), and Bill (Writer).
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Ulster University
Scholarship Country: United Kingdom
Scholarship Worth: $20,000
Scholarship Type: Masters
Nationality: International Students
The John J. Sweeney Scholarship 2022 will award a total of $20,000 to the candidates who are successful in meeting the eligibility requirements.
Eligibility for Scholarship
- The John J. Sweeney Scholarship 2022 is available to inhabitants of the United States of America.
- It is necessary to fulfill all of the requirements that are unique to the program.
- Applicable courses-
- Master of Laws, Access to the Justice System
- Master of Science in Construction Business and Leadership (with Management Specialization), with Emphasis in Management
- Master of Laws with a Concentration on Human Rights Law and Transitional Justice
- Master of Science in Management with an Emphasis on Corporate Governance
- Master of Science in Manufacturing Management degrees.
- Master of Science Degree in Peace and Conflict Studies
- Master of Science in Social Policy and Administration
Required Forms and Documents for the Application
- A scanned copy of the original diploma is required.
- Whenever it is relevant, a letter of recommendation from a Union sponsor
- 500 – 750 words personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation
- A scanned copy of the individual’s United States passport
Undergraduates at Leeds University in the United Kingdom can apply for a scholarship for the 2023–2024 school year. In an effort to inspire all students to continue their study, the University of Leeds is looking for exceptional students who can participate in research across the Mathematics department and are inspired to pursue higher education.
The Ulster University US John J. Sweeney Scholarship 2022 is open to all International Students
- Are you interested, and do you qualify? To submit your application, please visit Ulster University’s page on app.geckoform.com.
- Candidates are required to submit their applications through the online form.
- Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all sections of the application form are filled out, in addition to meeting any additional requirements that are attached to the form.
Make provisions of the following:
- a scanned copy of the original degree certificate which demonstrates an overall grade point average of at least 2.80
- In cases where it is necessary, a letter of recommendation from a US Union sponsor
- 500 – 750 word personal statement
- Two academic letters of recommendation
- A scanned copy of the individual’s United States passport
The application deadline for Ulster University US John J. Sweeney Scholarship 2022 is 30 April 2023.