Women in Aviation International (WAI) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the encouragement and advancement of women in all aviation career fields and interests.
For year-round resources to assist women in aviation and to encourage young women to consider aviation as a career. WAI also offers educational outreach programs to educators, aviation industry members, and young people nationally and internationally.
The most recent initiative is our Girls in Aviation Day program for girls ages 8 to 17.
Women in Aviation International is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to the encouragement and advancement of women in all aviation career fields and interests.
WAI also provides networking, education, mentoring, and scholarship opportunities for women and men in careers in the aviation and aerospace industries. It aims to promote public understanding of notable American women in the aviation industry.
While this is primarily a female based scholarship, men can apply given the correct guidelines and outlines for the scholarship.
WAI began in 1990 and was formally established in 1994 as a nonprofit organization. The first International Women in Aviation Conference was held in Prescott, Arizona, in 1990.
The diverse membership includes:
- corporate and airline pilots
- maintenance technicians
- air traffic controllers
- business owners
- flight attendants
- high school
- university students
- air show performers
- airport managers
In addition, WAI promotes public understanding of the accomplishments and contributions of women in aviation.
Corporate members receive additional benefits including:
- exhibit discounts at the annual conference
- advertising discounts in Aviation for Women magazine
- listings in WAI publications.
- General sessions, professional development seminars, educational sessions, networking and tours
- Thousands of attendees from nearly a dozen countries around the world
- More than 160 exhibitors featuring a wide variety of aviation businesses and employers
- Special events, scholarship awards, Pioneer Hall of Fame induction ceremony
This includes historic notables such as:
- Amelia Earhart
- Bessie Coleman
- Eileen Collins
- Jeana Yeager
- Nicole Malachowski
- And many others
Recognizing these women through the WAI Pioneer Hall of Fame program.
- Applicants will be evaluated on academic standing.
- Applicants will be evaluated on personal accomplishments.
- Applicants will be evaluated on teamwork.
- Applicants will be evaluated on leadership skills.
- Applicants will be evaluated on community service involvement.
- Applicants must meet all WAI scholarship requirements and guidelines.
- Applicants must have a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited U.S. maintenance program.
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Or must be a permanent resident.
- Men can apply for scholarships as long as they meet the scholarship application critera.
- Only complete scholarship applications are accepted.
- Request multiple letters of recommendation, and submit the two that best fits the character presented.
- Letters should be addressed to Scholarship Committee.
- Some scholarships receive a large number of applications while others receive few. When applying for the scholarships be truthful—if the qualifications are not met with the needed for a particular scholarship then look at others that may be a better match.
How to Apply
To complement the scholarship, Flexjet will host the winner at our maintenance facility in Cleveland, Ohio, along with a tour of Flexjet headquarters and a meet-and-greet with industry leaders.
Flexjet will award one $2,000 scholarship to a student currently enrolled in an aviation maintenance technician program (A&P) or a degree in aviation maintenance technology.
Membership Benefits for WAI:
- Aviation for Women, the official bimonthly publication of Women in Aviation International
- WAI Connect monthly electronic newsletter
- Annual conference for WAI members in all fields of aviation and aerospace
- Local chapters in communities around the world
- Government and industry representation
- Educational outreach programs
- Network base for personal and career development
- Merchandise and services discounts
- Aeromedical Advisory Partnership
- Legal Advisory Program
The deadline date is October 12, 2021. This is for the 2022 school year.
This is an annual scholarship that happens each year and has the same deadline date.