The smart specialization scholarships are granted to PhD students enrolled in Estonian universities and colleges currently conducting a study related to any of the smart specialty growth areas. The college scholarship was pioneered in order to convince students to employ studies in smart specialization growth areas as well as to heighten the number of PhD students graduating from the university in these areas resulting to countless incentives to be offered to acting industries in growth areas, improved cooperation between institutions and companies centered on research and development, broad diversity among career prospects of PhD graduates and vast contribution to the capacity building of research-inclined industry sector.
The amount of the grant for school to be paid to the grantees of the smart specialization scholarship for PhD students is €422 monthly which is the same as the doctoral allowance granted by the government. The grant for school included in the smart specialization PhD grant is a supplementary grant to the doctoral allowance provided by the government. Therefore, the college scholarship does not guarantee payments for other expenses.
The thesis of the PhD applicant shall cover one of the indicated smart specialization growth areas below:
• Information and Communications Technology (ICT) integrated with other fields for industry (robotization and automation), development of software and applications, and security in cyber space.
• Services and technologies for the health sector including e-health, biotechnology, and the likes.
• Sustainable resource use such as health-promoting food, “smart house”, chemical industry, material service and industry.
Applicants with continuing doctoral studies which is associated with the following descriptions are being preferred.
• Covers an interdisciplinary coverage or forms a part of a research study which has a wider interdisciplinary scope (applicable to interdisciplinary PhD);
• Made to meet the industry’s needs by dealing with impending problems that may occur in certain company or sector or providing unswerving contribution to the founding of research findings in daily industry practice (applicable to industrial PhD).
The mentioned companies may be operating in any countries in the world not limited to Estonia. The industry being identified does not include any of the following: research and development and state-run institutions, technology proficiency centers, or clinics and hospitals with the intention of smart specialization student scholarship.
Application forms for the scholarship can be accessed at the following site: [email protected]. A letter of confirmation from the company of applicants taking industrial PhD is required.