At Heriot-Watt University’s School of Social Sciences, the Intercultural Research Centre (IRC) is a component of the Department of Languages and Intercultural Studies. The International Research Council (IRC) is currently accepting applications for a PhD studentship to begin in January 2023.
About the Scholarship Sponsor:
Heriot Watt University, a famous public research institution, has its beginnings in 1821. Numerous courses at the graduate, postgraduate, and research levels are offered by the school. Prior to its 1966 royal charter, Edinburgh University was known as the School of Arts of Edinburgh. It’s one of the UK’s longest continuously operating schools for its field All three of the university’s locations—Edinburgh, Kuala Lumpur, and Dubai—offer students state-of-the-art resources and an unparalleled educational experience. Its main campus is located in Edinburgh and spreads out across an area of 380 acres. Campus life here includes classrooms, dorms, clinics, sports arenas, and the union’s administrative offices. The Dubai campus facilitates exchange programs between the United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom. A purpose-built campus in Putrajaya, Malaysia, has the honor of being the country’s first “green campus.”
Heriot-Watt University’s courses are broken up across five different departments. The School of Energy, Geoscience, Society, and Infrastructure offers a wide range of undergraduate degree programs, including those in architectural engineering, civil and structural engineering, geography and urban studies, construction project management, and even biology. In addition, it offers graduate-level education in a wide variety of engineering subfields, including but not limited to: civil engineering; water engineering; urban planning and design; energy and renewables; construction management; geoscience and petroleum engineering; marine engineering; environmental and climate change studies; real estate and social policy. Among the many types of engineering offered by the university’s School of Engineering and Physical Sciences are chemical, mechanical, computer science, electronics, and electrical engineering. It also offers a Bachelor of Science in Physics and Chemistry.
Theodore S. Clerk, the founder of the Ghanaian architectural profession and the mastermind behind the port city of Tema, studied at Scotland’s Heriot-Watt University. Iain Baikie, a Nobel Prize–winning physicist, and Sir Nicholas Grimshaw, president of the Royal Academy, both attended and graduated from Heriot Watt. Aviva’s current CEO, Maurice Tulloch, is a fellow alumnus of Heriot Watt.
Multiple campuses can be found all over the world, including three in Scotland, as well as in Malaysia and Dubai. None of these establishments can be found within the borders of Scotland. The Scottish Council for Development and Industry honored Heriot-Watt University for its excellence in the physical sciences, mathematics, business and management, engineering, and the built environment by presenting the university with an award. The 2018 “International University of the Year” award from Times Higher Education was bestowed to it. Heriot-Watt is the university in Scotland with the highest average wages for graduates, with 95% of first-degree recipients employed or continuing their studies within six months of graduation (Times Higher Education).
There is a dedicated office at Heriot-Watt University to help international students out with questions and concerns. Helpful information is available, including how to create a bank account in the UK, how to drive in the UK, how to register with the police to have a visa updated, how to make travel arrangements in the local region, and the contact information for embassies and consulates in Edinburgh. The International Student Guide also has helpful information that can be used in advance of travel. The International Students Advice Office at Heriot-Watt also provides airport pickups and other events designed to orient and welcome new students at the start of each semester. Heriot-Watt University ranks highly for graduate employment because a large proportion of its graduates find jobs appropriate for their level of education within six months of graduation. Research Excellence Framework rankings for 2014 showed Heriot-Watt University climbing from 45th to 33rd place in the United Kingdom. According to the 3* and 4* rankings, Heriot-Watt University is ranked 22nd in the United Kingdom and third in Scotland.
In addition to assigning students to available dorm rooms on campus, the Heriot-Watt accommodation department helps them locate off-campus accommodations if necessary. Nearly 1,600 rooms, both private and shared, with private bathrooms may be found on the Edinburgh Campus. The university leases apartments both on and off campus, including in the heart of Scottish Borders Campus’s namesake town. No student housing is offered on the Orkney Campus, although the university’s accommodation office can assist students in finding lodgings in Stromness, a nearby town.
Edinburgh Campus, Scottish Borders Campus in Galashiels, Dubai Campus in Dubai Academic City, Orkney Campus in Stromness in northern Scotland, a new campus in Putrajaya, Malaysia for MBA students, and an affiliation with West London College make up the six campuses that make up Heriot-Watt University. Location: Northern Scotland, on the Orkney Islands. The main campus is one of the newest in the whole of the United Kingdom, and it can be found on the outskirts of Edinburgh.
There are excellent transportation links between the Edinburgh and Scottish Borders campuses of Heriot-Watt University. Being the nation’s capital, Edinburgh is conveniently linked to the rest of Scotland and the rest of the world. Because of its proximity to Edinburgh, the Scottish Borders Campus makes the picturesque market town of Galashiels an easy day trip. Direct aircraft connectivity to and from Edinburgh is constantly expanding as the city grows in importance as a financial, commercial, cultural, and tourist centre in Europe. There is a constant uptick in the number of direct flights to and from Edinburgh. Edinburgh Airport is only five minutes away from the Edinburgh Campus by car, and it offers regular direct flights to London (only an hour away), Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt, Brussels, Zurich, and New York, among other places.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Heriot-Watt University
Scholarship Country: United Kingdom
Scholarship Worth: £16,062
Scholarship Type: PhD
Nationality: International Students
- Studentships cover the cost of tuition and provide a living allowance that is currently equal to £16,062 per year.
- In addition, the School provides a research assistance payment that is equal to £2,250 for the duration of the registered time of study.
- In addition, recipients of full-time scholarships are typically given the chance to participate in paid teaching support throughout each academic year of their award.
Eligibility for Scholarship
- The applicant must have completed their undergraduate degree with a minimum grade of 2:1 in an area that is relevant to the position. A Master’s degree is desirable. In addition, individuals for whom English is a second language are expected to achieve the University’s basic requirements for their proficiency in the English language. If you have not previously completed a degree program that was taught and examined in the medium of English, you are required to have a minimum overall IELTS score of 6.5, with no score lower than 6.0 in Reading, Writing, Speaking, or Listening. If you have completed a degree program in the medium of English, you are exempt from this requirement.
- A comprehensive Curriculum Vitae.
- copies of the complete academic transcripts from all previous academic degree courses as well as copies of the degree certificates for any degrees that have already been conferred. If you are currently enrolled in a degree program, please give all of the marks that are currently accessible to date. Please give evidence that your qualification is equivalent to that offered by institutions in the UK if it was earned from a school that is not located in the UK.
- A condensed cover letter in which you explain why you want to pursue a doctoral degree at Heriot-Watt University and what makes you an outstanding candidate for the program.
- A conceptual framework for the research project (max. 1500 words). This should make it abundantly evident how the suggested research question and modalities of investigation match with the study area that you have selected. In the proposal, it should be made abundantly apparent that they are submitting their application for the “IRC PhD scholarship.”
Awarding international students with tuition waivers for the 2022-2023 school year in select degree programs, the University of Innsbruck in Austria is committed to removing financial barriers to education. This award is for international students who have demonstrated academic excellence. Scholars of all levels are urged to apply for the upcoming 2022-2023 academic year at the university.
The Heriot-Wait University 2022 School of Social Sciences PhD Studentship (Intercultural Research Centre) is open to all International Students
- Please email [email protected] if you have any questions or concerns regarding the application procedure in general.
The application deadline for Heriot-Wait University 2022 School of Social Sciences PhD Studentship (Intercultural Research Centre) is September 8, 2022