For the academic year 2022-2023, the University of Dundee is pleased to announce the availability of the Steve Weston International Scholarship for exceptionally talented students studying in the United Kingdom.
This grant is available to students enrolling in postgraduate degree programs beginning in 2023. In the year 1881, the Institution of Dundee became a public research university in the city of Dundee, which is located in Scotland. The mission of the university is to better the lives of people both locally and globally via the production, dissemination, and application of knowledge.
About the Scholarship Sponsor:
Publicly supported from its inception in 1881, the University of Dundee is a major center for academic study and research. In its formative years, the institution was an integral part of St. Andrews University. Later, in 1967, after extensive growth, it was officially recognized as a university. However, it managed to preserve a significant amount of its history and established political structure. Times Higher Education’s annual student experience poll consistently ranks it as Scotland’s top university. It is ranked as one of the top 40 universities in the UK and is in the top 300 universities worldwide.
Their flagship campus can be found in Dundee, Scotland. Dundee is home to a number of prestigious academic institutions, including Dundee Law School, Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design, and Dundee Dental Hospital and School. Perth Royal Infirmary is home to the university’s clinical research center, while Ninewells Hospital is where the university’s medical school is located. There are 10 schools at the University of Dundee, and each one is made up of a variety of disciplines and houses its own research facility. Over 18000 students from 145 different countries study with 3000 staff members at this university. Undergraduates and graduate students have a great chance at success at this university. The 2019 edition of the International Student Barometer, which surveys students around the world to gauge their level of satisfaction with their educational experiences, places the university among the best in the UK.
More than that, the university’s reputation rests on its many successful graduates. Former chancellor and medical school graduate Sir James Black won a Nobel Prize. In 1991, Ronald Coase, who taught at the university’s School of Economics and Commerce from 1932 to 1934 and was subsequently given the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences, became the first living person to receive the honor. The university’s alumni association includes a number of other well-known people who have made significant contributions. Dundee and the surrounding area is located on Scotland’s central east coast, and because to the school’s emphasis on vocational and professional degrees, it consistently performs highly in surveys measuring graduate employment. The University of Dundee has garnered high ratings in recent years for student satisfaction; several degrees provide a career planning and internship option, and each student is provided with their own personal development webpage.
International students will be greeted at Edinburgh Airport by representatives from the University of Dundee, and they will be given arrival materials that will help them adjust to life in Scotland. The Overseas Advice Service is there to help with visa issues and other issues that may arise for international students, and they host events for them throughout the year. Dundee, the fourth-largest city in Scotland, sits on the River Tay in the country’s eastern region, surrounded by hills and countryside. It has some of the cheapest tuition and living expenses in the UK, at 14% less than the average across the country. The new V&A Dundee museum may be found in this city, which is also the sunniest in Scotland and the first UNESCO City of Design in the United Kingdom.
Although other Scottish airports, like Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Aberdeen, also provide international destinations, Dundee airport is the only one that offers direct flights into London City airport from Heathrow or Gatwick. Through the production, dissemination, and application of knowledge, the University of Dundee enhances the quality of life for people everywhere. Around 145 different countries are represented among the University’s students, faculty, and staff because to its wide range of undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs and its reputation for world-class research. The University is at the vanguard of many technological advances, like keyhole surgery and flat-screen televisions, and provides students with one of the best educational experiences possible. Many influential people in the world owe their success to a Dundee education, including Turner Prize winners, world leaders in politics and industry, and activists for social justice. Pre-sessional English courses are available, and all overseas students are eligible for free English language classes that include topics such as academic writing, seminar skills, listening, and note-taking.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): University of Dundee
Scholarship Country: United Kingdom
Scholarship Worth: £12,600
Scholarship Type: PhD
Nationality: International Students
- Each candidate will have the opportunity to receive these awards:
- The settlement of one’s academic tuition obligations (fees for 2023-24 to be confirmed)
- A single student would get 12 monthly stipends to help with their living expenses, totaling £11,050 ($12,600) over the course of the academic year.
- An stipend upon arrival in the amount of £750, as well as an allowance for the thesis or internship report in the amount of £580.
Eligibility for Scholarship
The following are the requirements that candidates for this scholarship must meet:
- Already possess a Bachelor’s degree with honors in Law, Economics, Geology, Petroleum or Mining Engineering, or Finance with a second class upper level or higher. Applicants from a variety of academic backgrounds will also be taken into consideration, provided they provide a crystal clear explanation of their purpose for pursuing the appropriate LLM and detail any relevant legal work experience they have had.
- Keep an offer open for either a Master of Laws in International Mineral Law and Policy or a Master of Laws in International Oil and Gas Law and Policy for September 2023.
- Be able to provide evidence that you meet the English admission standards set forth by the University of Dundee.
- Demonstrate your intellectual prowess and your aptitude for leadership.
- possess both a successful track record and the ability to ascend to influential positions in the future.
- If possible, they should be licensed attorneys who have prior experience working in the fields of energy or natural resource development, either for the government, the business sector, or academic institutions.
- Continue on to earn the degree inside of a year’s time. At the conclusion of their time spent in school, international students are expected to return to the nation in which they were born.
- By the end of the month of June in 2023, a decision will be taken about the distribution of these Scholarships. Please take it as given that your application for the Scholarship was not successful if you have not heard from us by this time and we have not responded to your inquiry. We regret to inform you that, due to the high volume of applications we receive for these Scholarships, we are unable to contact rejected applicants individually or provide feedback on their applications.
- Updated resume is required as part of the application package
- A personal statement of up to 500 words
- The following should be brought to the forefront of your personal statement:
- Your leadership qualities, which demonstrate your potential to make a positive impact on the lives of others and the world at large
- Your abilities in communications, as well as your capacity to sway both individuals and groups in their decision-making.
- Your capacity for making connections, your aspirations, and your future objectives
- Your prior academic experience and potential in the LLM degree program, as well as the strength and honesty of your character are all important factors.
- Your extracurricular pursuits, often known as hobbies and activities.
Undergraduates at Leeds University in the United Kingdom can apply for a scholarship for the 2023–2024 school year. In an effort to inspire all students to continue their study, the University of Leeds is looking for exceptional students who can participate in research across the Mathematics department and are inspired to pursue higher education.
The University of Dundee 2023 Steve Weston and Trust International Scholarship for Postgraduate Students is open to all International Students
- The Steve Weston Scholarship does not need applicants to submit a separate application form.
- Applicants who have been given an unconditional offer of admission to either the full-time LLM in Mineral Law and Policy or the LLM in International Oil and Gas Law programs are required to submit a personal statement of no more than 500 words and an up-to-date curriculum vitae in the form of an email attachment to Alison Anderson at [email protected].
The application deadline for University of Dundee 2023 Steve Weston and Trust International Scholarship for Postgraduate Students is May 31, 2023.