Generation UK was launched by the British Council in 2013. By 2020, it aims to help 80,000 students from the UK boost their employable stasis enhance their long-term job prospects, and develop a global mind-set through study and work experience opportunities in China.
The Generation UK campaign is supported by all four UK government administrations. We have secured a commitment from the Department for Education to double funding support for 2018/19. This support will give twice as many young people from disadvantaged and less represented backgrounds the opportunity to take up internships in China from 2018.
- This scholarships are open to UK students and recent graduates.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be currently enrolled at a UK university, or have graduated from one within the past year, or be enrolled in a program at a Further Education institution in Northern Ireland which is accredited by a university.
- Have completed at least one academic year at university (at university, or a Further Education college if in Northern Ireland).
- Be a UK passport holder if studying in England or Wales.
- Be a UK or EU passport holder if studying in Scotland.
- Be a UK or Irish passport holder if studying in Northern Ireland.
- Have achieved, or be on track to achieve, a 2:1 degree.
- Meet our student finance eligibility criteria.
- Not be in receipt of any other Generation UK funding.
To create more opportunities for UK students to gain international experience by engaging with China – the world’s largest growing economy – through study and work placements.
Generation UK has developed partnerships with several UK higher education institutions, with bespoke internship programs aligned with their plans to improve access and widen participation among their student cohorts.
Students will need to pay for their own flights to China, their own visa and any other expenses related to their travel.
All students also pay for their own food and other day-to-day expenses. Costs vary depending on their standard of living, and they should also factor in whether they wish to travel and explore China in their free time. Around £50 per week should be sufficient for their daily expenses.
How to Apply
Funding support for this opportunity is focused on students from low-income backgrounds and further eligibility criteria apply.
Learn Mandarin and get a deeper understanding of China by studying at a Chinese university with a Generation UK scholarship. Scholarships are for five to 12 months of study, in various locations across China, and in a combination of different subjects.
With year-long, paid placements and light teaching hours, becoming a Language Assistant is a unique way to experience China and develop essential transferable skills. Experience of working in China is in huge demand in the workplace and as well as the language, you will develop a great cultural understanding of this fascinating country.
UK PhD students and supervisors can spend a period of study of three to 12 months at higher education institutions in China with the UK-China PhD Placement Program. Grants cover flights, accommodation, insurance, tuition, and a living stipend.
What funding is covered:
- all placement fees
- your accommodation
- comprehensive travel insurance
- pick-up from the airport
- dedicated support throughout your placement.
Make sure you have electronic copies of the following documentation ready to submit during the application process:
- A scanned copy of each students passport.
- Scanned student finance documents – see the student finance eligibility criteria.
- Most recent grade transcript. Most universities will be able to provide one. If not, this institution can accept a screenshot of their grades in there university system, signed, dated and verified by a students academic referee or university registrar.
- One academic reference, typed on university letterhead paper and signed by the referee. The referee should include their academic relationship to the student, and their academic profile, and why they recommend that student for the program.
- Upload a CV.
Please submit clear, scanned copies of your documents. We cannot accept illegible documents or photographs of documents unless otherwise specified. Your application will not be considered if you do not submit the correct documentation.
Depends on which partner company a student applies to. Check out which partners this council works with.
This is an annual internship/scholarship.