This academia scholarship was founded based on Dr. Sandy de Lahunta, known to generations as “Dr. D”. Around the year 2000 this doctor has received a prestigious award called the Robert W. Kirk Award from the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
After retiring Dr. Sandy de Lahunta had received an award that would soon later lead to this scholarship fund’s creation. Based on Dr. Sandy de Lahunta incredible work, his friends and former classmates created this scholarship to encourage others to progress within their field the way this doctor had before.
This scholarships is being offered by Cornell University which is located in Ithaca, New York. This is a privately owned university that is considered ivy league status. Founded in 1865, Cornell University is considered one of the first ivy league educational institutions.
Because Dr. Sandy de Lahunta has been such a exceptional leader, this scholarship is dedicated to find students that exemplify his exact qualities.
- Applicants must be within the career field of veterinary medicine
- Only students with the top 5 grade averages in the neuroanatomy course and clinical neurology training
- Only students that best show or best emulate Dr. D.’s passion dedication for discipline
- Students who have authoritative instructive leadership skills
- Applicants must understand that this is a prestigious $10,000 scholarship award that will only be awarded to one recipient.
- Applicants must already be enrolled to Cornell University to be able to be entered for this scholarship
- International students can apply
- International students that are enrolled at Cornell University will be automatically placed in the raffle for this scholarship
- Only 2nd year international students will be considered
- International students must have all of their visa study permits up to date and according to the following school year
- International students can have financial aid from their native country
- However, international students who do not secure a study permit will be exempt from entering this scholarship
How to Apply
- The only way to apply is by attending Cornell University.
- Only for 2nd year or sophomore university students
- Must be a student that shows exceptional discipline and leadership skills
- Must hold a GPA of 3.6 or higher (a 4.0 is looked at as exceptional)
- Must attend classes on time and never tardy
- Must present leadership skills throughout daily life
- Must be a likeable individual who has incredible teamwork authority
- Must show that each student has applied for financial aid (if a student has not, they will be disqualified for this scholarship)
- This scholarship is considered a financial need-based
- Students must provide the courses they are taking and the grades from those course for at least 1 year
The reward amount is $10,000 for any one student that is chosen by the universities judges. Then the $10,000 will be deposited into that students college account. The $10,000 can only be utilized for Cornell University and only towards paying off tuition fees.
- Submit all required application materials (application mailing instructions) – November 1
- Financial aid application materials due for international students -November 1
- Financial aid application materials due for U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens – November 21
- Financial aid application materials due for U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens – February 15
- Admission decisions and financial aid awards announced – Early April
- Reply to offer of admission – May 1
This is a once a year scholarship that is only awarded to one student. Yes, this is an annual scholarship.
Check back to the Cornell University website to see what their Spring and Fall semesters show as for deadlines and submission guidelines.